Fanatec Fanatec Porsche GT2 wheel - seeking advice

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by leeboy910, May 2, 2014.

1. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Hi all,

Fanatec are offering the Porsche GT2 wheels with a set of CSR Elite Pedals for about $330.
    I was considering upgrading from my DFGT, and this looks like a good deal.

Has anyone used the wheel before and/or the pedals? Are they reliable and is it worth the upgrade from the DFGT?

Cheers
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Personally the only advantage on the G27 (in this price range) may be the pedals, I had a similar issue a year or two back: http://raceonoz.com/threads/logtech-g27-vs-fanatec-911-carrera-wheel-package.336/

I went with the G27 and have not been happier, the more I read on Fanatec the more I am put off their gear. Their new shifter was getting great reviews straight up, but now longevity is appearing to be an issue.

Things to keep in mind:
    I think just about every person on here that has had/got Fanatec has NOT had some issue of some sort with the gear (someone please feel free to correct me) I think the only thing I would personally be prepared to purchase off Fanatec would be the CSR seat, but now I have my Obutto I have no need to purchase, unless my young bloke gets into sim racing.

Why did microsoft dump Fanatec?

I hope this helps, and please don't feel I am bashing Fanatec, but if it was my hard earned dosh, I would probably just save the coin and go a G27 or T500rs.

A quick google search of your initial question directed me here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/fanatec-porsche-gt2-wheel-and-clubsport-pedals-review/

and here is the inside sim racing Fanatec section you may find some reading in here:
    http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/forum/38-fanatec/

Hope this helps.
  3. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    I've been looking at Fanatec gear myself. Really like the look of the value of the GT3 RS V2 wheel + CSR pedals for just $249. All the reviews I can find seem to be in favour of the GT3 over the G27. For one, its belt driven instead of gear driven. And the adjust-ability of the pedals and quality seem better than the Logitec gear. Sounds like they have gotten better with customer service as well.
    Clevo, did you have the original base pedal set or the clubsport? The new csr's are meant to be a massive improvement over the old set.
  4. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    As a G25 to Fanatec owner I can say I have had first hand experience on the Fanatec subject :) although I cant comment on the GT3 RS V2 wheel, but make sure you're getting the V2 pedals with the bundle, there way better than original set, one thing that's worth noting, the load cells on the Fanatec brake pedals had a bad rep of dieing if the ffb was turned up to high, not sure if this has been addressed.

Fanatec make good sim hardware for it's price, there's a few things I think could be better, but I'm happy with the performance of my CSW so far. I'll admit Ive had 2 failures that needed replacement, the 1st was my F1 rim which was dead out the box, which did piss me off a little :mad:, but Fanatec were very understanding of my rant ;) and I had a replacement within 10 days, lucky I had the GT2 rim to use, would of been a different story if I only had the one wheel on order, which is usually the case for many. This is another reason why Fanatec have copped so much abuse, the fact is, sending out components that don't work is not good for business or reputation.

My 2nd issue was my CSS-SQ decided to :):):):) the sequential return to centre springs after 3mths, once again no bigy just use the paddles. But again for the $250 you would expect it to last much longer. Fanatec are like every other company, were you build for the lowest price possible/feesable to maximise profits, and have no one to blame but themselves for there current reputation, failed motors in the CSW bases was a big issue in the beginning, now they use better quality motors with no issues, should of done that from the start.

I still recommend Fanatec gear even though I had problems, I think they, Fanatec, have realised that quality is better at building profits than cheap components, and reputation is key to sales within the Simracing world.

This is just my opinion, in the end it's up to the individual to decide what he/she wants to buy, but experts say 9 times out of 10 we humans have already made a conscious decision on our purchase before we leave the house, based on what we've seen on the idiot box (tv) or read in a catalogue or paper.
    NOTE: Expert = Drip under pressure!
    Cheers
  5. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just to avoid confusion, this is what I'm looking at. Not sure I can convince the other half to stretch to the GT2 and Elite pedal bundle.
  6. imaracer

imaracer New Recruit

It is compatible with all major racing platforms with buttons that are backlit so you will only see the symbols of the game you are playing. Plus, it is directly supported by all major racing titles. Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel is compatible with your Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and PC