PCARS FFB setting

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Cyber_STIG_77, May 9, 2015.

1. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    there are endless amount of FFB options available in Project Cars and various opinions on how FFB should feel/react so post your opinions and settings here.
    There is a fair bit of information out there on the web so feel free to add some links that may help others understand how to tune in your FFB.
    here is the FFB setting that i'm currently experimenting with,

controls/configuration
    - remove all deadzones eg throttle brake clutch steering
    - steering sensitivity 25%
    - make sure your FFB strength is set to 100% in your wheel driver on your PC ( for PC users only)
    - set in game FFB strength to 100%
    - all other setting are factory at this point

controls/calibrate force feedback
    - play around with tyre force, seen settings from 75-190 so see how you go.
    -deadzone removal range = .07
    - deadzone removal falloff = .05
    -Relative Adjust Gain = 98
    -Relative Adjust Bleed = 10
    -Relative Adjust Clip = 96
    -Scoop Knee = 70
    -Scoop Reduction = 15

enter tuning setup/force feedback/spindle ( in pits)
    Spindle master scale = 36 (defaults to 26 which works well if all Fx,Fy,Fz and Mz are at default 100)
    Fx = 46 (it actually becomes a value of 45.99)
    Fy = 56
    Fz = 48
    Mz = 100
    links
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/setting-up-ffb-in-pcars-and-disabling-masking-forces.99219/
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  2. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Darrin from isr with some helpfull info for setting up your FFB
  3. StigsOzCousin

StigsOzCousin Rookie

PSN ID
    StigsOzCousin
    ^^^^ well worth a watch
  4. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I'm hating the full degree of rotation of the wheel, feels like I'm driving a truck every time.
  5. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    try adjusting the steering sensitive, default is 50% which I find too direct but winding it up to 100% makes a massive difference with how responsive the steering is. If your in a race car you can change the steering ratio which will sharpen up the steering.
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  6. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    found some explanation's for the various FFB parameter's
    http://www.isrtv.com/pc-racing/project-cars-force-feedback-tips-and-settings/
    PROJECT CARS
    In Game (Global) Wheel Settings for TX Italia with Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On
    Tire Force – the percentage of tire-related forces used to influence FFB calculations.
    Wheel Position Smoothing – the rate of change of an object and the axis about which the object is rotating.
    Linkage Scale – simulates that the wheel is driven by a non-rigid linkage, namely the driver’s arms, as well as play in mass in the linkage itself. Stiffness and damping of that linkage can be controlled here.
    Relative Adjust – represents torque to the wheel based on the change in torque over time rather than being absolute torque.
    Relative Adjust Bleed – a time value for bleeding absolute torque back in whereas Relative Adjust Clamp is the value around which this effect operates. 1.0 is a good starting point.
    Scoops – decreases low forces more and high forces less, thereby increasing the slope of force where some devices reduce the slope of force.
    Scoop Knee – the force level where the force changes from shallow to steep.
    Scoop Reduction – refers to the input reduction below the knee. Above the knee the force slope is increased such that, at 1.0 input force, the output force is 1.0.
    Soft Clipping – compresses all force within range of the wheel, although the stronger the force, the more it is squeezed into the higher force range. The Half Input setting is the signal that will become 0.5 as an output signal with 0.0 turning it off.
    Full Output – setting that determines the expected maximum force that will hit the soft clipper, and rescales such that that force outputs at 1.0. This means force above this setting will again clip.
    Per Car (in the garage for each car) Wheel Settings for TX Italia with Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On
    General FFB strength
    Output strength of the FFB to the wheel after it has been calculated by the FFB engine. This is basically the final ‘volume’ adjustment of the FFB. This means that if the FFB is clipping, turning the FFB strength down won’t help anymore.
    Tyre Force
    This is the strength of the tyre contribution to the FFB, which is also the main contributor to the FFB. If the FFB is too high or too low for all cars, you can adjust this value to get it equally stronger/weaker for all cars.
    The car-specific settings
    These you want to adjust when the FFB of one car is good while for the next car it’s too weak or strong (or has a wrong subjective balance of the individual force contributors).
    Spindle Master Scale: this scales the forces below it equally up and down, i.e. it’s the FFB ‘volume knob’ specifically for that car. Turn it down if the FFB is clipping, and up if it’s too weak.
    Fx: this is the FFB component representing the longitudinal force on the tyre contact patch. This should determine FFB when accelerating or braking, but I haven’t really experimented with this one yet.
    Fy: this is the FFB component representing the lateral force on the tyre contact patch. Very important for feeling mass transfer/inertia of the car when cornering.
    Fz: this is the FFB component representing the vertical force on the tyre contact patch. This plays an important part in the ‘road feel’ of the FFB, i.e. when going over bumps in the road.
    Mz: this is the FFB component representing the twisting force of the wheels, i.e. rotation along the vertical axis of the wheel. It is the self-aligning force of the wheels into the driving direction and is most important for getting the ‘classic’ feel of the FFB getting lighter when the front tyres lose grip.
    So when you want a particular force to stand out in the FFB, raise its relative contribution to the total FFB, and after that adjust the Spindle Master Scale value if necessary to get the FFB stay within the full range (i.e. not clipping or getting too weak).
    The most important parameter to check that it’s set to 100 is the Force Feedback Strength parameter in the main controller menu. It defaults for many wheels at 75 and some wheels at 50 which is completely wrong. Then make sure FFB damping saturation (the next parameter under FFB strength) is set to zero.
    Or: UPDATE
    actually I just reversed the games ffb and the TM profiler,. so 100 in TM and 70 in game.. and theres no difference. feels as good as above.
    After this I suggest using Real Gain parameter (first value to 0.98, second to 0.1 and last value again t 0.98) unless you have a direct drive wheel (2000$+ wheel).. or even the Fanatec CSW v2.
    Then finally remove all smoothing in the car setup FFB menu. All cars default to 0.1 Fx Smoothing which is stupid.
    Then I suggest setting the values for most cars like this (note that his is very subjective though. You need to adapt the FFB to your own type of driving):
    Fx = 48
    Fy = 44
    Fz = 54
    Mz = 100
    Then the top parameter (master scale) to your preferred setting. I usually have it at around 34 to 40, depending on how heavy FFB I want.
    Finally one of the most important and one of the most difficult to understand and tweak parameters is called Spindle Arm Angle (or just spindle arm). You can ONLY find it in each car’s setup screen when you are NOT in the actual practice/qualifying/race session. So from the main menu go into car setup editing and you will find it as the last value. Many cars have this setting quite nicely set but some cars have it completely wrong. This setting is key to getting a proper feel of the forces through the whole range of slip angles. If you set the value too low you’ll have a very tightly centered wheel with little FFB once you cross over optimum slip angle. If you set the value too high the opposite happens.. the wheel is very light and “slow” in the middle and gets progressively stronger the more you turn the wheel. Set it just right and your wheel will be giving you amazing detail.
    EDIT: One last note: My way of tweaking FFB is purely based on laptimes. I tweak until I get the ultimate consistent laptimes. I don’t care at all about trying to get a wheel to feel “realistic” (which would be completely dead in a normal car) nor do I try to get it “heavy and bumpy”. I just tweak it for ultimate important physics information fidelity. I want to know exactly when I’m not at optimum grip levels. This is the only fairly OBJECTIVE way of tweaking FFB because I can directly measure it. I drive 5 laps around Silverstone with default FFB. Check my laptimes. I then tweak the FFB and drive 5 more laps then compare the laptimes. Did I do better? Did I do worse? It’s like tweaking a car setup.
    FFB can have a HUGE impact on your laptimes, especially if it is “wrongly set”. It can truly work against you and make the car feel very odd if it’s badly setup. But get it just right and you can vastly improve the laptimes and as an added bonus you wont be spinning and crashing as often either.
    5/6/15
    1) I recommend setting the ingame FFB strength setting to 100 (very very important!). Then instead set the FFB strength in the Thrustmaster CONTROL PANEL between 60 – 75, depending on how much of a workout you want.
    2) Also make sure to experiment with the car setup FFB settings that you find in the garage/edit screen of each car. The most important setting there is called Spindle Arm Angle and can ONLY be found when you are not on the track/in the actual gameplay part but rather in the main menu (I have no idea why they didn’t include it in the in-game garage/setup screen). The spindle arm angle is set a bit weird on many cars. For instance the Ginetta G40 has it default to 15 I think but it works much better when set to 21.
    I also usually tweak the Fx, Fy, Fz and Mz settings to something like this:
    Fx = 80
    Fy = 50 to 70 range
    Fz = 60 to 70 range
    Mz = 100 to 110 range
    Then also set the Spindle arm multiplier (first setting on this screen) to something higher than the default 26. I usually end up at around 32 to 40, depending on how much down force the car produces (more down force = stronger FFB)
    5/7/15
    By the way, which car are you driving? I keep mentioning this but I’ll say it again: one of the most important FFB settings is Spindle Arm Angle and it can be found in the car setup screen (but NOT from the on-track car setup screen!!). It’s set separately for each and every car.
    Example: Ginetta G40 feels extremely stiff and hard centered on my TX 458 with it’s default settings. So I made these changes (note, these are from memory! I have yet to drive the release version of Project CARS.. stuck with too much work still ):
    Spindle Master Scale = 36
    Fx = 100
    Fy = 60
    Fz = 60
    Mz = 110
    Spindle Arm Angle (the last parameter in the FFB tab in the car setup) = 21 (instead of the default 15).
    Please experiment with the spindle arm angle as it has such a dramatic impact on absolutely everything. Many cars I feel do not have it set optimally yet.
    •bmanic @ www.racedepartment.com
    5/7/15
    guys its easy….
    I have a t300 GTE.
    Ive set FFB in Thrustmaster panel to 100 (as I do all my sims)
    I also set in Wheel Pcars menu
    FFB 100
    Dampening 15
    Tyre Force 100
    Then in each car specific FFB I set the master lower. For instance the Formula a car (f1) has the most grip so it produces the most FFB, ive lowered that Master gain to 10, and it feel lovely.
  7. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    this video shows how to set your tyre force using the in-game FFB monitor
    Driftoz and WAC like this.
  8. Driftoz

Driftoz Team Driver Gold Member

9. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    this applies to PC users only, there is a "tweeker" file available on the project cars forum that a WMD user buy the name of jack spade has created for the FFB in Project Cars. it is a simple act of downloading ( need to join the forum to download) and placing the "FFB" named file into "my documents/projectcars and it overrides all of the in-game FFB setting that you can adjust under "edit setup" when in the pits. This makes a MASSIVE difference to the feel of Project cars !!! If your a PC user this is a MUST TRY. after placing into the project cars folder just start the game and your done, its that easy ! if your struggling wth understanding the FFB setting this will be a game changer IMO.
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files
    Kobus Maree and Peter Wise like this.
  10. Killercarlcox69

Killercarlcox69 Professional

PSN ID
    Killercarlcox69
    :thumbsup::thumbsdown:
  11. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Ok kids, I've been doing much messing about with this on the ps4 and have come to a few conclusions, using the same car on the same track so as not to get any anomalies in the ffb. Firstly ffb strength and tyre force to 100 and all damping off, then in the car specific ffb settings I minimised all settings and then maxed out each setting in turn to gauge the effects, and found out that turning down the Fx,Fy,Fz, Mz settings and then turning up the spindle master scale is just robbing Peter to pay Paul, so after much stuffing about and thinking I had cracked a good ffb combo, (similar to some of the above settings) for :):):):)s and giggles I went back and tried the default settings, and found out they are not that bad, in fact they were better than any thing I had tried from others advice or had come up with myself, with one minor change of turning down the Fy setting to 80 or 90 to lighten the wheel a tad and make it easier to turn apart from that all settings were at default, the reason for this is mainly I think that I have just played the game for a bit now and have got used to the handling and that any changes I made were probably having a placebo effect and the more I tried to change stuff to make it better was just moving me away from what was ok to start with. The fx, fy, fz, and Mz, sliders seem to be the main players for changes to ffb, (sop does stuff too but probably best left alone, turn those puppies all the way up and see what happens) but to my understanding the 5 sliders do the following
    Master spindle - adjusts the overall strength of the following four (26)
    Fx- not a great deal really maybe a little heavier feeling under braking which is handy (100)
    Fy- the resistance to turning of the wheel gives it that heavy hard to turn feel and the only one I have turned down (80-90 or to taste)
    Fz- for bumps and road feel (100)
    Mz- like has been said before sort of a return to centre feel and gets lighter when losing grip feel (100)
    And get rid of all damping and everything else at default, bearing in mind that I've not driven that many cars in the game but different types of cars feel heavier than others and to accomodate this I simply adjust the master spindle scale to make it more usable and that's it. I'm not saying that this will be ok for everyone but I think that this has all been made out to be a lot more complicated than it really needs to be, I know I've been guilty of getting too wrapped up in these settings as have many others if you read some of the other forums, I think that becoming more familiar with the driving model is more important than messing around with settings to try to make it feel like something else, Pcars is not AC or gt6, they are all different and have their good and bad points handling wise. If this game turned out handling like gt6 I'd be suitably pissed, so I'm not going to chase my tail in the settings to make it feel familiar to something inferior. I don't recall be wowed by any racing game straight out of the box they take some getting used to as they're all different. So, my advice would be don't get too caught up with changing things, just drive a lot and get used to it then make some changes if need be, I've wasted a lot of time testing when I could have been racing and having fun.
    Cheers
  12. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    CobMcCool likes this.
  13. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Awesome find Cyber,
    disregard most of what I said above and try the settings off the spread sheet, I think they're the missing piece in the puzzle and unlock a much better experience overall
    Ffb strength and tyre strength still at 100
    Relative Adjust Gain 1.108 (1.00 okay also)
    Relative Adjust Bleed 0.10
    Relative Adjust Clamp 0.96
    And should all be good
    Cheers
    Peter Wise and Cyber_STIG_77 like this.
  14. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  15. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
  16. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

I am currently trying the ffb folder from the 4th setting (it has more curbs and bumps)
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files (folder 4)

It works well on my G27, and I am more than happy with the FFB feel I get from PCARS.
    in Logitech profiler I use (I am sure the general 100 0 0 0 900 is fine too)
    enable centre spring at 10%
    900degrees
    allow game to change settings

in game controls configuration for G27 (other wheels should be ok with these too)
    all deadzones at zero, rest at default

FFB calibration
    tyre force 100
    0.18 (dead zone removal for G27, other wheels maybe as low as 0.05)

This is a combination of Jack Spade's FFB and bmanic FFB settings

You do not have to set FFB for the individual cars in setup, since the FFB files (XXXX.xml) overrules the in-game car-specific FFB settings.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...for-Enhancing-Troubleshooting-Game-Experience
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  17. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

patch 1.4 stuffed up some users FFB (mine included) For those with such issues on the G27
    try this
    tyre force 100
    FFB 100
    calibration settings:
    all default
    Deadzone removal range 0.11
    Deadzone falloff 0.02
    soft clipping (both) 6.0
  18. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

After patch 2.5 I suggest resetting your ffb. Choose classic or default and u should be fine.