Future Sunday league idea

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Currently we place drivers into divisions pre-season and that is where they stay for the duration of the season.
    Sometimes we get it right, and other times we can make a few errors.

How about a system where drivers are scored in order of first in Division 1, to last in the lowest division.

The first Sunday would be qualifying for the next Sunday. Each driver could qualify in any room and room Captains would record the qualifying results/times and this would place drivers in their room for the race next Sunday.

In a 2 division scenario, let's say points in room 1 go from 50-17 and points in room 2 go from 16-1. So there is no point to sandbag qualifying to end up in the lower room, as you could not score more points than anyone in room 1. Anyone who cannot attend qualifying ends up in the lowest room.

After the race, qualifying for the next Sunday takes place and so on and so forth.

Thoughts?
  2. cowdoesfly

cowdoesfly Rookie

PSN ID
    cowdoesfly
    I like it but kinda confusing and I don't think many people want to do qually after a 30 min race.
  3. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    I love that you're looking at different systems but I'm a little lost here.
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    1st Sunday: 10mins qualifying (you may join any room to perform your qualifying)
    2nd Sunday: Race with grid set from 1st Sunday Qualifying results. After race finish, 10mins qualifying for 3rd Sunday grid.
  5. COME_AND_GET_ME7

COME_AND_GET_ME7 Professional

I'm surprised that you of all people is putting out an idea that will bring an end to the teams championship. I'm all for change but your proposal favours thos that can set a one off hot lap and not thos that can set their fastest lap consistently. Your proposal also means you have to practice 2 tracks at anyone time which seeing many don't have time to practice one track won't be very favourable. The status quo is better in this instance. I'll put forward an alternative later today.
  6. Jim_aka_The_Man

Jim_aka_The_Man Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jim_aka_TheMan
    As beaker said, I like the premise of trying different things, but not sure about this one.
    I think it would be a massive disadvantage to those who don't have the time to practice 2 tracks mid-week, to ask them to race, then have 10 mins to qualify for the next weeks race, at a track they've potentially never seen before.
    beakeroo likes this.
  7. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Sure...just putting an idea out there...didn't think it would garner support lol but ideas are mostly free
    incey and beakeroo like this.
  8. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    i think its a great idea ....except for having to learn two tracks :D what if you used finishing race time as the qually time for the following weeks room? that way people in room 2 on sunday 1 could be in room 1 the following week if they finsih faster than someone in room 1 sun 1
  9. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    That could have some potential, what about people who can't attend a round, do they automatically go to the lowest div the next week?, how do we treat DCS, where would we slot them?, it sounds like it could be a challenge to manage. Where do we put the break for determining which div, 14, 15 or 16 per div? you could end up with just a couple in the lowest div, possibly a div 1 guy who missed the week before and the slowest drivers, not a good recipe for a race. The are just my spontaneous reactions, let me have a think on it for a while.
  10. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    finishing times for second room may be higher for the winner due to no traffic than mid-pack first room.
    dc's would score points for their finishing position so still higher than anyone in a room below. if they didn't return to qualify they would run in the lowest room
    the lowest room with the div1 guy who didn't show last week will make it a tricky race i agree. rooms could be split into equal numbers or close to it

although i really don't think this whole thing will get off the ground, it is interesting to play what if
  11. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Again, why fix what is not broken. Yes people complain every season that they think they have been placed in the wrong division, but the system has worked (for the most part) for 20 seasons. As Stu says all the time, we can't please everyone. I'm spewing to have effectively dropped a division, but hey, its my results that have put me there. Suck it up and go racing people. If you find yourself in a higher division than you think right, then use it to learn as much as you can.
  12. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Is there an unlike button? :p

There's no harm in discussions, pretty sure forums encourage this type of thing.
  13. cowdoesfly

cowdoesfly Rookie

PSN ID
    cowdoesfly
    Discussions in this forum usually end up being debates. ;)
  14. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Mass debates at that.
  15. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    Extending on your idea Hatfield..
    Rather than running a 2nd qualy after the race, use the race results + times to determine the rooms for the next Sunday race?
  16. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Actually I think having race results as a reverse grid order for the next race would make things interesting. 1st place starts at the back.
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  17. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    I'm 100% for this idea. I've tried it in the past and it's worked well.
  18. cowdoesfly

cowdoesfly Rookie

PSN ID
    cowdoesfly
    I know this will never happen in Sunday League but perhaps this could be done in a sprint race series.(touring cars)
  19. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I've got a couple of other ideas I'd like to see in a short community series. When there's a lull later I'll put something together and see if people are interested.
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  20. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Tuesday nights for races 2-4 we run reverse grid.
    someone mentioned this above. problem is winning room 2 may give you a higher time than you could get in div 1 due to other cars around you
    Beau_Albert likes this.