GT6 GT6 - Drifitng with a wheel!?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Taemond, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Taemond

Taemond New Recruit

PSN ID
    Taekelle
    So I've been dabbling with some drifting in GT6 and sucking pretty hard at it. So decided to grab the controller out and lo-and-behold it fixed most of my issues. Anyone got any tips for trying to drift with a wheel? I'm using a Thrustmaster RS 300 if that helps. I'd love to be able to use my wheel for drifting but it just seems so difficult to get those quick steering changes in without being in danger of flipping my whole wheel and table sideways.

Thanks all.
  2. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
  3. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    I have heard with the t300 you can change the amount of lock. this would be very helpful to learn drifting 1080 degrees is too much...thumbs and wrists get damaged!! i golded both the current drift seasonal events but this is fairly easy on standard wheel settings. To learn wheel drifting i spent a week on the s licence mission race drift challenge until i golded it. now i can do skids in a FR. I can make lots of smoke with nice lines in a 4wd but door to door FR drifting is beyond me. If i work out how to change wheel settings i'll let you know
    i have heard that learning in a low power car is the best way to get into it. something stable like a base gt86 with crap tyres might be suitable
  4. X-WTF_MAN-X

X-WTF_MAN-X Team Driver

PSN ID
    X-WTF_MAN-X
    I'm using G27 but for drifting the main thing is the tune on the car If you have a bad tune you won't be able to drift well.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  5. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    I found how to change the degrees of rotation and it makes a huge difference.
    To manually change the angle of rotation on the wheel, you need to simultaneously press the Mode button and either the Left or Right button on the D-Pad. Left will decrease it, while Right will increase.
    The red light will then flash:
    1 Flash - 270 degrees
    2 Flashes - 360 degrees
    3 flashes - 540 degrees
    4 flashes - 900 degrees
    5 flashes - 1080 degrees

Try a purpose built drift car with 270 maybe?

It seems you might have to reset it each race and it defaults to 1080 so mode+right = 270 ...easy peasy
  6. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I drift with 900° on G25, clutch, and H-Pattern. Nowadays just on Dirt Rally or Assetto Corsa, but used to do well in GT5 drift challenges too.

The trick is FFB can't be too heavy, and you need to 'throw' the wheel, let it run through your hands until you find the control point for the slide, modulate with 2 hands, then 'throw' it back to centre. The throw's leverage of the self aligning torque inherent in the steering geometry of the car. That is the only way to steer into a slide quick enough.

If you can master that it is a much better option than restricting your lock, as you maintain that finer control. Tighter lock means the wheel sensitivity goes up too and it can get to snappy.
    incey likes this.
  7. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    you make a good point koastr. i never got that serious about it to learn the finer points. i always do it with full sim and full ffb so that it is probably why i struggle. also i can never find the circle button in time to use the handbrake :(
  8. Taemond

Taemond New Recruit

PSN ID
    Taekelle
    Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks for searching those lock settings @incey . I've got a purpose built car (aka my version of a trial and error drift build) and that works fairly well when I'm using the controller so I think it mainly is just me. I've got the wheel on full sim mode too, but I'll set the lock angle down first and see how that goes. Also thanks @KoAStR about the FFB. I like the feel of it so tend to have it at 7 but can definitely see how it would get in the way.

Anyway, shall give it a shot and see how everything goes. :)
  9. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    TBH I think I had FFB on full in GT5 when I was drifting as it never got that heavy. Set on 7 should be fine.
    Other sims though I have to make sure it's not too strong. Good luck.
  10. Taemond

Taemond New Recruit

PSN ID
    Taekelle
    Turning the angle down did help a fair bit. Still not as good as using a controller but I'm certainly getting closer. Think I just need some more practice now. Thanks for the help everyone.