Audio headphones and mics

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by stucar17, Jan 3, 2013.

1. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Couldn't see a thread on this so thought i would start one....

Had been using a Bluetooth Nokia earpiece for about 2 years and it was ok, but got sick of it going flat, and also what seemed to be crappy quality chat with some members....(sometimes the topic too!)

Bought a Turtle beach P11 for Xmas and was blown out by the quality it gave. Was only $60 bucks delivered from an ebay store, is powered by USB, and has controls to increase or lower the volume easily on a volume box connected to the unit, for both chat and game.

So, if your looking for a new headset at a very reasonable price i would highly recommend this unit.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps3-headsets/ear-force-p11/46

Cheers
    Stu
  2. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Follow up with a full review be good Stue, few picks and bit of your impression on how it performs and ease of use etc. Sounds like it Sounds good, enjoy m8
  3. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

I use a P11 based off of a suggestion from aussieman and it is brilliant! It has a mute switch on the volume control switch (so you can control both input & output) (hint hint E)), the sound is clear and although they don't claim to be noise cancelling, they do a really good job at it :)

Basically, They are awesome value for money :)
  4. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    P11 here as well, and they are the best bang for you buck by far :) also they work on PC too so for iRacing works a treat on teamspeak :D
  5. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Hmm, my nephew has a set of PX21's out in the shed, might grab them and give them a burl.
  6. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    PX21 is the new model and a step up from the P11, I believe they have bass and treble adjustment as well on the controller. :)
  7. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    I did have Px21's but the cable going from the control box to the left ear got a broken wire in it, so it has no sound in left ear...
    So i brought a set of P11's great set of TB's headset, and will say SO MUCH more comfortable.. :D
  8. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    I'm a bit obsessed with headsets myself, have three good sets at the moment, although I haven't used the mic on any of them over PSN (I mostly use a mic on Xbox Live), I currently have a set of Astro A50's plugged into my 360 at home (comfy as :):):):) and exceptional audio quality albeit only virtual surround), I use a set of Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital 5.1's (brilliant sound quality, true surround too, the best cans I have ever used for audio whoring) on my 360 at my mates place, and I have a set of Steelseries Spectrum 5XB's (very comfortable, lightweight and good sound quality albeit slightly heavy on the bass) that I originally bought to use at my mates but now use on the PC if I need to be quiet, otherwise I get the good ol Z5500's goin, those things still r4pe.
  9. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    X2 to the z5500, I've had one for about 5 years and it still shakes the windows. Only thing I had to replace is a fuse after being flat out on New Year's Eve for about 6hrs a few years ago. Now I tend to use a turtle beach PX5 for my gaming and they are amazing, great sound whoring capabilitys for C.O.D etc
  10. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Yeah the PX5's are quality too man, a mate of mine used to have a set and I used them a few times, another mate has the XP500's and the limited edition Black Ops 2 Tango's, basically the same set, he just likes to blow wads of cash, haha!
  11. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Wow, I must use my headphones different to you Snake. They've never whored my cans let alone r4ped me!! Think I'll stay away from the JB HiFi in Broken Hill!!!
  12. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Easy done Anon, there is no JB Hi-Fi in this :):):):)hole!
  13. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Sorry to revive an old thread.
    Stu, are you still using your P11's and are you still happy with them? Any issues?

I've been looking at headsets and am currently tossing up between the PLa's ($48 @ JB HiFi) or the P11's ($69 @ JB HiFi).

Reading several reviews the audio and mic on the PLa's seem to be on-par with that of the higher-models, however I notice the PLa's look to be a bit smaller so I am wondering if the P11's might be more comfortable in the long run (and worth the extra .

Any advice or first-hand experience on either of these headsets would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dave
  14. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I personally use the P11's too and find they are very comfortable. I got mine on special at EB for $90 so you will be getting an even better deal. I like that you can control chat and game audio separately, and turn the mic off. Sound is brilliant. Only negative is the mic boom seems too short and has to be close to your mouth which is hard as it doesn't reach far enough in my opinion but seems to work fine anyway.
  15. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    hi mate,

yes still have my P11s and love them. only thing that may be an issue is the length of the USB connection from the PS to where you are sitting. I have a 55 inch screen and sit as far back as the cord will let me, about 4 mtrs from the screen

If you are running a smaller screen, in a racing rig then it wont be an issue.

Not sure where you are looking for them, but QV software are sponsors of the site, so would be good if you go with them ;)

http://www.qvsoftware.com.au/products/turtle-beach/accessories/ear-force-p11

Cheers
    Stu
  16. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback.
    The PLa's also have the separate volumes for game audio and chat, along with mic mute switch so the main difference between the to (by the looks of it) are the size of the ear pieces.
    I'm sure the P11's are better, I'm just not sure if they're worth the extra money (I'll only use them for GT6 - its pretty much the only game I play - LOL).

I might have a look at the local JB tomorrow when we go shopping and have a look at them both. At this stage it will just be handy to have a headset and mic so I can chat in the lobby's instead of typing everything out.

Cheers,
    Dave
    stucar17 likes this.
  17. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Well guys, I ended up getting the PLa's. The ear pieces didn't look that much smaller than the P11's so I thought I'd save the money and go with the PLa's (and the savings may go towards a DFGT wheel down the track).

Had a play with them this evening and they seem pretty good. Reasonably comfortable (about as comfortable as I usually find any headphones) and the sound quality seems quite decent. Nice bass and loud enough to block out surrounding noise but without being too loud. I didn't really get a chance to use the mic but I tested it during setup and it seems to work fine (it's weird being able to hear yourself thru the cans) and briefly in an online lobby.

I did notice in the online lobby I created, I could hear myself but it seemed quite choppy and not good quality, yet when I went back into the PS3 menu and to the headphone setup the mic sounded perfectly clear.

Is this normal when using the mics in the online lobbies?
    My internet bandwidth isn't great (around 4 Mbps) so I'm not sure if this was the cause - because I was hosting the room? I tried changing the room settings to very low and chat to standard but it didn't seem to make much difference. I'm assuming this is yet another quirk of the PSN servers?

I do like being able to adjust the the game audio and chat audio independently along with being able to mute the mic, all from the left ear piece.
    For $49, they seem like they will do the job I need them to do.

Dave
  18. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Check the chat quality settings in room set up. If it is med-high and still getting chop it is most likely your connection.
  19. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    I use the Sony Wireless headset (got it on special for about $80 from memory).
    Really good unit, mute button on one side, separate chat vs game volume plus master volume.
    Only annoying thing is the LED on the tip of the mic which can distract sometimes, but I just push it back a touch and it's fine.
    [​IMG]
    I'm upgrading to the new Pulse headset which looks the business! Pulses during certain moments (like being shot at etc.) and really top quality audio.
    [​IMG]
    stucar17 likes this.