HELP !! - I think my alternator is on thw way out

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ENFORCER_98, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    hey fellas

last week while i was driving to the shops i was stuck in traffic and there was some smoke come out of the right hand side of the bonnet and a sort of friction material smell but not quite it would come out for like 2secs then go away then maybe 2mins later would do it again so it started doing it again while i was stopped (it was only coming out when stopped) so i dived off the road popped the bonnet and the smoke was coimng from around the pulley area...... it only smoked on that one occasion so i got to the shops got what i needed and went home... then later i had to go out again so i did what i had to do that time... THEN when i tried to start the car to go home the car was dead somehow no lights were left on nothing so i got a jumpstart got home etc etc... after that everytime i start the car up theres a whirring sound that goes with the engine rpm and that same smell everytime i go for a drive... now the really interesting bit is what i noticed the other night.... at idle (750ish RPM) the dash and headlights go dimmer than usual and when you bring the engine back up to a normal speed (1200RPM+) the lights and headlights go back to normal... so far since the jumpstart the car has been starting normally for the last 5 days without incident i just fear that eventually the battery is going to gradually rundown and i'll be back to square 1 again any help would be appreciated

E
  2. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    first thing to check is if the EARTH from the battery hss got a good contact at each end..

but just too be sure get a good thick cable (NEED to get 12mm - 14mm eyelet ends crimped on) and earth out the alternator straight to a bolt on the body..

i had similar problem (but my battery :):):):) itself X2 )
    but once i put the cable on from the frame work that holds the alternator to the motor back to a large bolt on the spring tower..
    Once installed car works like a dream..

ummmm if it continues E get it checked out at a Auto Pro Shop / Auto Electricians, they should test / look at it for free.. ???

aus
  3. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Should be able to pick up a set of brushes from Repco etc for under $50, they usually have the charging regulator built into the brush housing so it's a easy fix. Should have a hitachi alternator and the part number for the brushes should be e33-3019j
  4. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    also should there be a :):):):)load of grease around the alternator pulley ?? obviously not but its sorta thick stuff....

actually the best way to desvibe the smell is if you have ever been on a cityrail suburban train... that sort of friction electric smell ??....

im wondering if that grease around the pulley made its way inside the alternator and start burning thus producing the smoke
  5. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    could well have mate,

Go get urself some electrical parts cleaner, you can get a fairly big can for $10 to $15..
    spray the :):):):) out of the inside and let it sit overnight
    OR
    do it in the morning and leave the bonnet open in the sun..

Either way don't start until vapours/smell is gone. May take couple hour so make sure you have plenty of time !!!!!
    ^^^^ see this is in RED because it VERY VERY IMPORTANT.....

then Fix the F*****G oil leak you slack little :):):):).. :lol: :p
  6. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    funny you mention oil leak aussie... this afternoon i had a call on my mobile so i was parked in the driveway which slopes downhill onto the road and the car was idling and what do you know 5mins later it started smoking only this time it was the worst of it i opened the bonnet with the engine still running and i saw the smoke coming off the air con pulley so it would appear something is leaking onto the pulley system and burning hence the smoke... i noticed the engine start to run like :):):):) then the smoke but the car is going into the mechanics next thursday and friday to have the brakes shocks driveshafts and a major engine service with new belts etc so while hes doing that i will get him to investigate lol...