Sim Controls I think this year will be the year I move away from the controller

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by CastrosfriendChe, Apr 25, 2015.

1. CastrosfriendChe

CastrosfriendChe Rookie

PSN ID
    CastrosfriendChe
    With a PS4 arriving early next week I'm looking forward to the eventual release of PCars. Thankfullly only finding out about this upcoming racer a few weeks back...well the wait has been tough guys...

Can't say I'll be getting a setup tomorrow or next week. Maybe even 6 months from now.
    It's all just eye candy atm via our sponsors sites but swaying towards:

Thrustmaster T500 RS Wheel
    Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    Next Level Racing Wheel Stand

I wonder if ppl here can still remember when they first went from controller to wheel/pedal setup...
    But can't stress enough...the controller is killing me lol
  2. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    I had borrowed wheels before, but a G25 was permanently loaned to me, and I bought the next level wheel stand for it.
    You have so much more control...the only downside is you have to learn to adjust and may be slower at first. Also spins are harder to recover from since you cannot just get the wheels pointed instantly straight or in the opposite direction with a simple thumb movement.
    Clevohead and CastrosfriendChe like this.
  3. CastrosfriendChe

CastrosfriendChe Rookie

PSN ID
    CastrosfriendChe
    Thanks for the input ;) yeah I've had many a save with a simple thumb movement. I really want the wheel to bring in my accuracy though and the slow at first and building up to something...well seems like an exciting challenge, ensuing frustrations aside.

If ya happen to know, do ppl using paddles to gear shift have an upper hand over ppl who use a shifter? I've gotta go shifter because that's how I drive in real life...and somehow that means I've gotta replicate that apsect of my driving o_O even if it could mean slightly slower gear changes...

Then again I'm Div 7...losing a 100th of a second might not be the end of the world.
    Though if I remember correctly BJ went leaps and bounds moving from controller to wheel...
    and I've seen others...SuiCide comes to mind.

Oh well, curious to see when I can update this thread with my new purchases lol keen as.
    Peter Wise likes this.
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    paddles if much faster...and it is not far off gear changes on a controller
  5. CastrosfriendChe

CastrosfriendChe Rookie

PSN ID
    CastrosfriendChe
    I guess if I'm happy with the shifter and my times are matching those of roughly equal skill...I'll be happy.
    Also with enough time with GT6 and then a lil time with PCars with the controller, it'll be nice to see the comparisons after the change, on certain favourite tracks etc.

All this talk makes me want to go buy a balaclava.......no no.......I'll wait and do it all legit.
    Prob lookin at 3 months from now.
  6. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I started here in season 10 gt5 with a controller, had the DFGT wheel for ages but with nothing to mount it to it was just gathering dust. I noticed over the season @S_CLOSE clacking away with his gear changes and general whirring noises in the background and come to the realisation I was the only one in my div using a controller. Towards the end of the season I decided it was time to do something about it so I slapped something together out back and set it up ready for the wet race at Monza in the rx7's but I had no confidence yet so decided to use the controller to finish the season and start fresh with the wheel next season. The immersion is much better with the wheel, even though I know I can go faster with the controller, for the reasons stated (faster wheel lock), but the wheel is so much better for feeling and tyre wear. It's a bit of a pain unless you can have it somewhere permanent but it's totally worth it.

The DFGT has a sequential shifter which is just as quick as the paddles, though it's on the wrong bloody side. Can't comment about H-pattern, but I'd rather have that and a clutch, reckon that'd be my ultimate setup then.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    I was using Controller for the first 2 years I had GT5, then a switched to the DFGT in December 2012 after I had something to mount it to and still see my BOX TV(I only used my wheel for PC Sims) then I bought a Wall mounted TV and then my setup was basically what it is now within a few weeks of doing that I Found Rooz and the rest is history.

Your speed will translate to Wheel pretty good, give it about a month and you should be a bit better .

I raced some people I used to race with before I joined rooz on the Lobbies and usually I was equal with them, but after a few months I was leaving them in the dust.
  8. arakasi-

arakasi- Professional

PSN ID
    arakasi-
    I'm 2 weeks into the re-learning process. So frustrating at first, knowing your heaps quicker with the controller, but it's slowly coming. Some sections I used to have down pat, I can't even come close, but the closer to real feeling outweighs speed, it's soooooo much better there's no going back now.
    Good luck when you make the change, pretty sure you'll love it.
    Ad2mny likes this.
  9. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    I guess it helps the process if your using your wheel on other games before going to GT.

But the process still took awhile for me as GTs handling on the wheel is vastly different to the PC Sims I was playing (Rfactor and Iracing).
  10. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Agree with what Mustafur says about other games. Having had a go at Assetto Corsa for a while, my GT6 driving has improved...perhaps not speed wise, but definitely in the feel I get and the ability to anticipate what the car will do.
    I used to have heaps of trouble with overturning and then spinning under power, but I've really noticed a big improvement recently and have even started doing some controlled drift for a bit of fun :)