FORZA Oversteer issue when using a wheel on Forza 4

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SNAKEiSM, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    So I'm using my GT2 wheel on Forza 4, I've played around with a lot of different settings but no matter what I do, the cars seem to oversteer viciously (using normal handling physics, professional is unusable), when I transition to a pad, it feels as though I have 10 times the grip as I do when using the wheel, the controller is certainly a much faster option, is anyone else using a wheel experiencing this issue? Do you know of any ideal settings, etc? It's a bit of a :):):):):) as I bought my wheel largely for Forza 4 but at this point I'm verging on sticking with a controller, a game such as Forza should be enhanced by the use of a wheel, look at GT5, it is a thoroughly better experience when using a wheel, imo.

I've read into that 900 degree wheel issue but by all accounts it has been patched out already and didn't sound like what I'm experiencing anyway. Is it just me? Does Forza employ a different handling model when a wheel is detected? For me it's all about the outright pace, whichever control method allows me to achieve faster lap times, that's what I'll stick with, I guess I'm just hoping that it can in fact be the wheel.
  2. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I've got the microslop wheel, tried it when I first got forza 4 and didn't like it at all. Gave up and went back to controller. Like you said snake, just feels like you have more control with the game pad, which is stupid. A wheel should be so much better.
  3. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Same as F3, most of the fast guys were using controllers. I've been playing only with my wheel, professional physics (zero assists) and I finish some races against the AI with my arms aching and head throbbing!?!? You feel like you never quite have the car totally under control, a constant battle against under and over-steer. I figured it was mostly that I was crap, so it's good to hear you're having some issues as well Snake. Anything above S class is impossible without some assists.

What I've found helps is adjusting the wheel down from 900 degrees to the second lowest setting ?270 or 360, can't remember. More than that and it feels like there is a massive lag (the wheel is connected wirelessly after all, so there probably is a small lag) and you need to provide a big turn of the wheel for any change in car direction. Also, it is worth just running around in the lower power cars, and working your way up. I'm still finding some E class cars will just oversteer into a wall and they have less horsepower than my Victa?!?! The physics is heaps different to GT5 that is for sure.

Will get back to it in time, currently addicted to Saints Row...hitting people with dildo's will never get old!!!
  4. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Yeah I reckon I may end up doing the same Stumbles, for hotlapping anyway.

Anon, you've basically described exactly what I'm experiencing, big steering inputs required to correct a slide etc, and the low powered cars, E-class, front wheel drive, still somehow seem to oversteer massively through the faster stuff, particularly when trying to trail brake, getting off the anchors after corner entry = cars on ice, big props for rolling with pro handling tho, I just get way too pissed off to stick with it.

I wish they could've implemented wheels into the game better than they have, running with ABS off in particular is very satisfying when running with the wheel, not to mention it's much easier to avoid lockups when you have a brake pedal as opposed to a brake trigger, it doesn't necessarily feel as though you have more control with a pad, it feels as though the cars behave more with a pad, it actually feels like the game is using a different handling model as soon as a wheel is detected, strange and unfortunate as it basically rules the use of my wheel out in any online race in which I may want to actually be competitive, not to mention hotlap, I remember the Zonda Cinque Rival event from the demo, my wheel time was over 2 seconds slower than my pad time, and when using the pad I felt as though there was more time to find but with the wheel, I struggled to put a quick lap together let alone find more time.
  5. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Not sure about Forza but I have played other games that certainly respond differently to various input devices.

Grand Prix Legends seems to apply auto-traction control and ABS, also smooth out your steering inputs when it detects a digital input device (keyboard, game-pad etc).

Plug in a wheel and all of a sudden the game 'unlocks' the cars full potential / realism, becoming much more of a handfull, and you have to be very careful with your throttle inputs especially.
  6. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Yeah that sounds fair enough Koastr, unfortunately Forza seems to become a bit too extreme, more unrealistic than realistic tbh, a supercar or even a high end sportscar, shouldn't break into an oversteer induced slide mid corner with a steady throttle input, but they do, the TVR Sagaris for example, is a car with a great deal of poise, yet while using my wheel, even having installed no engine upgrades to the car and having installed softer/wider tyres, it handles as though it's on ice, plug in the pad and grip grip grip! haha, I guess it's just a shame as it can be more realistic with a wheel, but your at a distinct disadvantage in terms of pace, ah well, still having a lot of fun with it, rant over!
  7. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    It kind of depends on what level of 'steady throttle input' you're applying. Turning close to your grip threshold with more than say 25% throttle (depending on the particular vehicle) with 400BHP-plus should break out mid corner IMO, steady throttle or not. Especially over any patches of inconsistent road surface.

It does sound a bit inconsistent though...intuitively you would expect any auto-assistance applied to controller inputs to provide consistency at a sacrifice of ultimate pace i.e. wheel is harder to master but ultimately faster.

The other thing to consider is oppposite lock steering assistance. It's quite probable that this kicks in at some 'unseen' level when using the controller, essentially pre-empting any over-steer with some steering correction on your behalf. This would not affect your pace as much as other assistance such as ASM.

If there's an option for steering assistance when using the wheel try turning this on to see if it gives greater parity to using a controller. Hope you can get to the bottom of it. Good luck ;)
  8. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    When saying this I mean a level of throttle input in which would not induce oversteer while using a pad, obviously your not going to apply 90% power in a TVR Sagaris through a turn with a 60km/h apex for example, for instance a high speed turn, one in which I should clearly be able to hold it flat, will result in large levels of oversteer, it's strange, but :):):):) happens, not much we can do about it.
  9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I stumbled across these vids today on the iRacing forums.

Sort of case in point, obviously a much more powerful car - Ken Block Spins a V8 Supercar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVlBsTNhrI&feature=player_embedded"#t=03m15s

This is a relatively low speed corner (and cold tyres). Sorry not doubting you here Snake, just thought this vid was interesting and close to topic; Like you said, on high speed corners you would expect to be able to keep it fairly close to pinned.

This vid shows the delicate throttle application required.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4&feature=player_embedded
  10. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    While I can't watch those at work (I'll check'em out at home, later), I know exactly what your saying Koastr, and without even seeing that first video I can imagine exactly how it will look, the thing is, there's no doubt iRacing is far more hardcore than Forza, and while dealing with those levels of oversteer in high powered vehicles may be the norm, in Forza, with a control pad atleast, it is not (obviously there is still some power induced oversteer, on the same level as GT5 for example), plug in a wheel, however and it literally feels like your driving on an icy road, the issue I had (sort of accepted the fact now), is that I want to be as quick with my $800 wheel and pedal setup as I am with my controller, unfortunately though, it just doesn't seem possible, I guess it's more a qualm than an issue, haha!
  11. M1K1_D

M1K1_D Miki D

Having spent a little time on this game to see what all the hype was about. Ha ha. My beef with the controller, the button layouts. I'm using no assists but the no clutch option. If I could modify the controller to swap the triggers with the A and X buttons, it'd be awesome. :)
    I'm with Snakeism on the handling though. VERY unrealistic physics.
  12. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Miki, I don't necessarily have any issues with the physics in general, I mean, with a control pad they're fine, imo, I actually think Forza feels more realistic than GT5, again, my opinion.

My issue was that when using a wheel it feels like :):):):), the cars become impossible to drive on the limit, I tend to think now that it's a result of constant steering inputs while on the throttle, you know how when your using a pad you sort of tap the analogue sticks through a lot of corners as opposed to holding them in a certain position to negotiate a turn? I really think the tapping is what prevents a lot of the throttle induced oversteer you see when using a wheel, as your steering inputs are constant while accelerating out of a turn it causes the rear end to break free far more regularly, for some reason Polyphony got this far more right with GT5, so, the wheel/pedals I bought primarily for Forza have been relegated to GT5 duties, ah well, at least GT5 is far better with a wheel, imo, haha!
  13. M1K1_D

M1K1_D Miki D

Sorry, after what you wrote earlier I assumed you didn't like the physics.
    I've had to adapt my driving style to not change down gears entering a corner (or else it'll drift) and then bog down the car on exit or it'll wheel spin. Just because of the controller layout i'm using (no variable throttle or brakes- it's all or nothing). I do like the tyres actually can be heard in this game where i'm always struggling to 'hear' the grip in GT5. :)
  14. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Yeah that comment was in reference to the way it handles with a wheel, it just seem's off, with a pad I have no worries, shame.
  15. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    F3 with my wheel was fine. F4...not so. I finish 4 laps races against AI in a car that should romp it in and I'm mentally and physically fatigued from battling the car the whole way. And that's in E and D class!! I should look into the settings more I know, but after spending a million hours in F3, F4 is almost like a whole new game. I've not given it up yet, but I've been close.
  16. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    It's unfortunate as there's no doubt in my mind that it's an improvement on Forza 3 in general, just a shame I feel as though I HAVE to use a pad in order to really be quick.