PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

MADCAP, That board looks the goods mate. I can't see anything majorly wrong with it.
  2. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

Yea I was gonna say the Nvdia are pretty much the kings* atm across pretty much all key aspects. Heat/Power usage/performance. Depending what res your running 4gig cards might be a better option, 2 gigs cards arent great for high res mutli screen setups. Even if that means going AMD.

I racing dosent take alot of juice though compared to alot of games, so theres no need for overkill. Depeding on your rez even 670 4g sli. Or even 660GTX SLI. Or maybe even a single 6804 gig would be enough. Might even be a GTX680 version out nowdays.

I think jamie was reffering that in a lot of test benches AMD Xfire did better than Nvidia SLI in a percetage range....
    For example With 2 680 in SLI u might get 80% effectiveness asuming 100% would be exactly double the power of one card. In the equivelent xfire tests AMD would be up aroung 85%-90% or some where around there.
    I havent checked the stats for awhile but it was that way 3-6 months ago. New drivers have prob closed the gap.

I just use whirlpool or OCAU when building, basicly just have to browse a few threads there to get a good idea of what is the best bang for your buck while meating your needs. Then use a few test bench review sites and you can pretty much nail what you want. I used to now this really good comparsing test bench site, way bettet than toms hardware. I'll find later. You can compare cards head to head, across areas.
  3. MADCAP

MADCAP Rookie

cheers man - well time to order this week.... :D
  4. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I want to buy a whoop arse pc, but I wouldn't know where to start. When I say whoop arse, I mean, Play "Asseto Corsa" at full graphics on 3 screens.
  5. MADCAP

MADCAP Rookie

Yes i am waiting for this game to come out too Beau - hence why i am spending a bit on my PC
  6. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

I don't think that game looks too taxing. I don't think you would require anything too extreme to play it on 3 screens.
  7. zampli

zampli Team Driver

goddamit reading other peoples builds just makes me feel depressed about mine lol
  8. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

You can never win with computers. As soon as you build one its already obsolete lol.
  9. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    Lol don't get depressed, mine is just a old dual core with a 8600gs haha. Runs it okay
  10. zampli

zampli Team Driver

yes but when your computer lags trying to run BFvietnam on low graphics, then you really feel :):):):) lawl, then you know its bad, thank god for the ps3
  11. JamieFookes88

JamieFookes88 Jamie Fookes

PSN ID
    JLF131188 J. Fookes (GT6)
    I'll be building a new PC over the next few months. Getting part by part.
    my list:
    Purchased:
    ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Cooler Master HAF X
    XSPC Raystorm 750 RS360 Water Cooling Kit
    Yet to Purchase:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB FTW+ with Backplate - $639 ea. (x2)
    Aerocool Strike-X 1100W - $199

I have everything else I need with my current PC

Edit: Purchased more gear. Not far away from having everything I need. Also changed the case to one that I liked more.
  12. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
    What's up guys?

Anyone running RBR?
  13. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    What PC are you running Stumbles?
  14. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Edit, I'm running an Acer, off the shelf job, bought quite a while ago.

Crap :(
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.5 GHz
    3 Gig Ram
    "Total avail graphics" - 1278 MB
    Dedicated Video memory - 512 MB.
    Direct x version - 10.0

Looks like I need a new PC then. As I've just lost a fifth of my weekly wage, that won't be happening any time soon.
  15. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    I thought the same thing but you could look at one of the GTX 750Ti variants (which I just purchased).
    $150-$200 depending on the model and it's the most poerful graphics card that doesn't need the extra 6pin power from the power supply (it powers solely from the PCie port) and they're designed to run with a 300W power supply.

Perfect for those that have OEM PC's (HP, Dell etc) where its not always easy to just change some components to make it more powerful - they tend to design the case etc around their build. But this card is great.

I am running a Q8400 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 120GB SSD and was running a HD5570 GPU but for AC I could only run low/med graphics to get around 30 fps on 720p.

Now I've added the GTX750 Ti I'm running 1080p on ultra settings with between 45-60 fps.
    I was also contemplating a new PC build for AC and Proj Cars but for $200 I think this will tide me over for some time now :thumbsup:

Worth investigating. Is your PC a custom built one or an OEM one?
    If OEM, what make/model is it?
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  16. Peter Wise

Peter Wise Professional

PSN ID
    copperj32. Steam: copperj32
    Google can I run it. Search assetto corsa and it will scan your pc and give you an indication wether you pc meets the minimum requirements. I need to purchase a new graphics card before I can run it properly
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  17. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    I had used Can I Run It and it said with my HD5570 I could run med/high settings.....but in reality that wasn't the case so I would use this as a very rough guide only IMO. In my case it was very much at the medium end of their spectrum, not the high end.

And it depends on what your definition of "being able to run it" is.

Your PC will likely run it now, but at 10 fps....which isnt really playable (nor enjoyable), but unfortunately there aren't any websites that will tell you running a & b whilst running c game will give you x fps (and that's what you want, decent frame rate)
  18. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Hehe, my old PC was an Acer...lol. (man, i'm getting old).
    This one, HP - SR5180AN - 32 Bit operating system
  19. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    LOL, mine is a Compaq (which is HP) CQ3280AN....similar but probably a bit newer.

Looking at the specs of the 5180AN you should be able to fit a GTX 750Ti no worries.
    If you do look at this option I would look at the ones with the single fan (not the longer dual fan ones as you may have trouble fitting them in your case).

I went with this one which was the fastest single fan variant
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1617&products_id=27040

But you could look at these which are a bit cheaper
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1617&products_id=27301
    or
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1617&products_id=26960
    Note: the Gainward one comes with miniHDMI (not fullsize HDMI - if this matters to you).
    I almost went the Gainward model but preferred a full size HDMI port.

This should certainly make a big difference, I know it did in my PC.
    You will also then be able to use ShadowPlay (nVidia's recording feature), which is simply brilliant! :D
    AJ.Scott and Stumbles like this.
  20. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Thanks for the info Doogs.
    I applied for a second job yesterday, so if that happens, I should be able to grab something better than I currently have :)
    DoogleDave likes this.