Playstation 4 - worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KoAStR, Aug 2, 2014.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    So PS4 has been out for a while now.... I see a few fellas at ROOZ have one, so what do you think? Is it a worthwhile purchase?

I was reminiscing about Killzone 3 (which got stolen).... but seems silly to go out and buy a game I used to have nearly two and a half years ago.
    So that got me thinking about what's new - The new Killzone on PS4 looks pretty sweet.

Obviously BF4 is available, pCARS is coming. What else is good on PS4? For those that have invested already, do you get alot of use out of it? Is the quality stand-out over PS3 to justify the updgrade?
  2. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    TBH, it's gathering dust in the corner. I only got Killzone so far and yes the graphics are FRIGGEN AWESOME but it's one of those games that gets harder as you go, and I'm at a point where I've had to put it down for a while and now I can't get back into it because it's too hard to just pick up and go. That is nothing against the ps4. I love the share button but it takes a bit to get used to the controller. I keep pushing the wrong button when I try to pause it, and the touch pad works great but I'm not used to it yet either. Keen for a good driver. The lack of games is disappointing ATM. There are games available DLC but they look pretty crappy so far. The PS4 overall is great but there is a distinct lack of 'big budget' games. Stumbles' one has already died too from he thinks BF4 overworking his console. It is a worthwhile but wait if you're waiting for pcars wait till it comes out.
  3. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    If you haven't played it before, The Last of Us -Remastered is meant to be pretty good. There's a multi-platform game out on 9/9, Destiny, from the makers of Halo - Bungie. I played the beta last weekend and it looks pretty cool on the PS4.

Definitely hanging for pCARS, as Ad said, the pickings are a bit slim at the moment, but reading on whirlpool, they think by October or November, there will be a few big releases. That will be about the time that people will be thinking of renewing playstation plus subs, so some good games will nudge them into spending the dish again.
    Ad2mny likes this.
  4. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Bloody 75 bucks for 12 months online, and I haven't even used it yet lol.

I lie, used it for little free crappy plane battle game but still...
  5. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Hmm, I only paid $69.95. Was hoping for a discount sale at dick smith, but wanted to try destiny online, so jumped in. Will buy more credit when a sale comes up.

One thing I will say, the ps4 boots up heaps quicker than the ps3. I've tried 3 games, bf4, watch dogs ( couldn't get into that, have lent it to a mate at work) and call of duty ghosts. All look great, but as Ad said, I think bf4 killed my first console... 11 days, lol.
    Apparently lots of issues with bf4 online too, lots of guys unhappy on whirlpool.
    Another mate has lent me his copy of need for speed rivals, haven't given it a go yet. I will be getting Destiny on day one, think the best price is $79 for the vanguard edition at JB hifi.
  6. zampli

zampli Team Driver

ive enjoyed it since i got mine around christmas, as long as you utilise it and play the available games (much like anything else).
    the graphics are a major step up, as shown in bf4 and i havent had any major probs with it yet, the slight ps4 issue i had i think had to do with overheating as its in a new position now and not experiencing the same issue.
    but if your only hanging out for racing games and might play the occasional FPS/RPG/adventure once or twice, i wouldnt bother at the moment to be entirely honest.
  7. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    The XMB is a lot nicer and VERY FAST compared to the PS3.
    PSN store is a lot faster as well.
    The benchmark has been set on price though.
    $400 or close to it, is what you should be paying. Anything more than $460, and you've been ripped off (regular sales at $460).

Game selection is still shocking... I recall the PS3 being like that at first release.
    Destiny looks interesting.. MMO shooter.
    I'm personally hanging for Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV and pCars.

There's actually an 8-bit graphic platform game that is free on PSN and is pretty reminiscent of years gone by. Fun thing to kill time.

I don't like that they force you to buy PSN membership to play online, but I already bought it when I was on the PS3 for the free monthly games, which has well covered it's cost so far.
  8. zampli

zampli Team Driver

none of the major retailers seem to sell at this point, where does this come from?
  9. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    A couple of Sundays back, the Dick Smith eBay store had 20% off toys which included the PS4. They had it priced at $499, which brought it down to $400.
    They also regularly drop the price down to $469 or there abouts on random occasions.
    Catch of the Day also brings the PS4 along at that same price point on some occasions.
  10. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I pre-ordered mine cost me a bit over 500 can't remember exactly how much. I remember saying when I bought the PS3 that it would be the last one I bought, getting too old for this sh!t lol. Now I've found ROOZ the sky's the limit ;).
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  11. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Cheers fellas good feedback. ;)

Despite my first post I bought Killzone 3 again from EB games today... how can you not for $11!
    Clevohead, Peter Wise and Ad2mny like this.
  12. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Love looking through the preowned games at EB. Very rarely do I buy a brand new game these days, with a few notable exceptions. You can save heaps picking up games that people have bought, finished and then traded in a very short time span. And PS3/4 games being blueray format, are less susceptible to being scrated/damaged. Buying used PS2 games was a bit of a lottery as to whether they would work or not.

I'm waiting until Project Cars is released before considering the PS4. Probably good timing too as my PS3 is starting to show signs of giving up the ghost. I.E. not reading disks, needing multiple ejects and inserts or resets, and Play Tv playing up on occasions too.
  13. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
  14. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    The Last of Us is pretty epic. I never played it on PS3 so picked up the digital day one from US PSN as I had heaps of spare credit in there.
    That, plus Assassin's Creed IV (basically a pirate naval battle game with some stabby goodness in ports), some hugely impressive indie games already available and plenty to come and of course PCARS, GT7, Driveclub and no doubt other race games...
    Even at the premium $550 I paid it is a very worthwhile investment. It now plays 3D Blu-Rays if you're into that, the XMB etc is heaps better, you can start playing whilst still downloading games, and the share function is pretty cool and has massive potential.
    If you can get one under $500 it is an absolute steal in my opinion.
    I've played so far:
    • Assassin's Creed IV
    • Killzone Shadow Fall
    • Need for Speed Rivals
    • Wolfenstein
    • Sniper Elite III (really good fun)
    • Thief (average but worth a look)
    • FIFA 14
    • Tomb Raider (wow)
    • The Last of Us Remastered
    • MLB 14 The Show
    • Contrast (cool indie title, freebie!!)
    • Outlast (creepy mental asylum indie game - scared the hell out of me to be honest!)
    • Watch Dogs (meh, not too bad)
    • COD Ghosts (PS3 upgrade)
    Looking forward to:
    • P CARS
    • GT7
    • MGS V
    • Driveclub
    • Assassin's Creed Unity
    • The Crew
    • Far Cry 4
    • GTA V Remastered
    • Uncharted 4
    • Mortal Kombat X
    • Rainbow Six Siege
    • The District
    • Batman Arkham Knight
    • Mirror's Edge 2
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    KoAStR likes this.
  15. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I agree about the share button, if only I can work out how to send it to YouTube instead of sookbook. You can't do much with it there.
  16. leeboy910

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Sony are adding Youtube share support later this year...
    But all you need to do now is upload to Bookface, download it from there and then upload to Youtube. Bit of messing around but it works.
    Youtube share will be awesome though.
  17. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    And it's not just a few seconds either eh? It can be up to 30 mins from what I've tried, maybe more...
  18. leeboy910

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Well you can broadcast live as well, so I'd say the limit if there is one, would be reasonably lengthy.
  19. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    The quality of some of those broadcasts were pretty poor from what I have seen, and I have a good connection now too so it was nothing to do with that. Maybe it was the broadcast. I was watching Doom.
  20. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n