GT6 Programming G27 buttons in GT6

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Ninja2, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    In GT6 only:
    What do the six buttons on the G27 wheel do Out of The Box ?
    How much will GT6 allow me to re-assign any function to any button, or to either flappy paddle?
    For example can I assign as follows:
    left paddle as brake, right paddle as accelerator, a left button for gear change up, right button for button for change own?
    And also ... are the paddles linear analog output or just binary switches ?
    (May seem odd questions but my legs are bung so I can't use pedals normally. Above setting is how I user to drive in GT3 on PS2, with great success!)
    thanks
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    They are basic switches mate on the shifters.

There is a bloke over at insidesimracing that has made shifter pedals for people in the past, I will see if I can find his post and link it here.
  3. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    OK thanks Clevohead ... I'd appreciate that
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    What if you fixed a controller to the middle of the wheel and used the analog sticks for accel/brake?
    Ninja2 likes this.
  5. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    All your buttons will be programmable to the options you want.

The only downside will be accelerator/brake will be all on or all of, no in between.

I have put a call out @ Inside sim racing and will see what response we get.

What is the likely hood of you transferring to PS4 soon, and should you be considering another wheel say like the T100 or T150 offering PS4 support for future applications???

@Hatfield I think the controller would be too bulky, and too hard to reach with the thumbs.

I have been thinking about modified pedal pots with scroll wheels for progressive thumb control mounted to the rim.
    Ninja2 likes this.
  6. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    Great to know all the wheel mounted buttons are fully programmable, as I'd hoped.

At a pinch I can use accelerator pedal normally, so I'm thinking most likely solution is to program one button to be gear change up, and another to gear down. (are sequential gear changes are allowed in all ROOZ events...?)

Like that 'thinking outside the box' suggestion about analog sticks Hatfield. Actually I am comfortable with making electronics stuff so if stock configuration adjustments don't work there will still be a way ... it'll just take a bit longer to qualify :)

I could upgrade to PS4 if there's a good reason / need, just that I have PS3 + GT6 + Gran Turismo addiction already (and I'm picking up agolfer's used G27 today). Are you thinking PS4 better for my situation Clevohead, or just generally everyone should go to PS4?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  7. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I was just thinking of future proofing with more and more making the move to PS4, but the G27 would be a good start and if you made a standalone pedal controller using some of the pedal components, and using the cable that hooks the pedals into the wheel, that will give you a pedal controller that could be transferred over to to a G29.

I am now thinking if you can use accelerator we keep that on the floor, take either the clutch mechanism or brake mechanism including pot, and mounting next to seat with extended handle and cable hooked into pedal base, and that would make it a hand brake with progression, may mean a bit of one hand twirling on the steering wheel, but will give you full brake control. What do you think???
  8. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    [​IMG]
    This is one made with a clubsport brake pedal, the G27 wouldn't be as pretty but would work in a similar fashion if you are picking up what I am laying down...[​IMG]
    So basically pull one of these out and mount it to edge of seat base, bolt handle to where pedal face would normally go and Robert is your father's brother.
  9. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    I'm on your wavelength for sure. Actually I have hand operated brake modifications in both my real-life cars. Its similar to what you've suggested except the brake pedal stays where it is, but it has a rod that is pushed by a horizontally mounted lever and pivot. The lever has a black snooker ball (or is that pool ball?) that I push with my left hand. The ball sits in mid air on the end of the lever about half way between gearstick and 9 o'clock on the steering wheel.. Works like a treat for daily driving and a benefit is anyone can still drive the car as normal.

I'm sure something like this, or your approach, could be done with G27 pedals,

But wait .. there's more! For fast responses to braking / steering needed in virtual races (and real races for that matter) I know it's important to make distance I would move fingers or hands the absolute minimum.

An idea that appeals (although I haven't thought this through) would take the pot from brake pedal and make it work using left flappy paddle, so left hand never has to leave the wheel. Still, just throwing ideas round ...

BTW is that a G27 pedal set exposed in bottom photo?
  10. agolfer78

agolfer78 Team Driver Gold Member

Hopefully you guys can work something out. This should be something that is available as a standard option. Have you tried the G27 yet?
  11. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    Waiting for my GT2 ultimate V2 to arrive from Pagnian :D. That should provide a great platform for whatever custom mods come out of this helpful discussion. Have unpacked the G27 but haven't tried yet, will give it a test run soon.
  12. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    just realised I've posted this thread in wrong forum!
    I thought I'd put it under ''Sim Racing Systems ..." but must have missed with mouse ... doh.:confused:
  13. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Yes mate it is. Just showing you what you had to work with.

Check this out too: http://www.simability.com/
  14. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    That simabilty site is very interesting Clevohead .... thanks for the pointer.
    By coincidence I tried my GTultimate V2 rig + G27 for first time last night. All went pretty good but I'm very rusty after 10 years off track :) Using paddles as accel/brake is OK but it's not ideal, needs analog sensors, like that simability solution!
    Clevohead likes this.
  15. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Glad to help mate.

The guy that gave me the link said that if you email them they are pretty helpful and will help you work with you got.
  16. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Also he said that the SRW-S1 has 4 x paddles 2 of which are progressive analogue ;) They have adapter kits for $42, it would just be getting it to work with GT6...
  17. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    I'm one step ahead :cool: ...
    Glenn at simability has already replied to my email query, I'm hopping onto his queue for G27 hand controls which are nearing end of development. stay tuned ...!
    Clevohead likes this.
  18. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Great to hear mate, best of luck :thumbsup:
  19. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    So hear Glenn may have sent you something??? ;)
    Ninja2 likes this.
  20. Ninja2

Ninja2 Rookie

PSN ID
    blackNINJA968
    Well well @Clevohead aren't you on the pulse ! I will post with a picture soon, or maybe even get the GoPro out and share some footage of it in action, but you beat me to the punch!
    It arrived Saturday and I spent maybe 5 - 6 hours wring up and assembling, and it worked first go! Good thing I'm comfortable with a soldering iron, and that Glenn does such a good job (are you in touch with him?).
    It works a treat but there's a huge re-learning curve. And I've realised from recent runs I really have to go manual - if only so I can get the 908 off the start lines without people running up my arse. That's going to require some tricky finger action ...
    By coincidence I stumbled across my old Logitech Driving Force wheel the other day, the one I used in GT3, and remembered that in those days they all had analog paddles, not switches, so anyone could play, even if they didn't buy pedals.
    So a huge thank you to you Clevo, I'm sure this will make a big difference to my lap times (and boy do they need a shake up)
    BTW did I tell you I'm a Tasmaniac ... a bit like a Taswegian I guess, but with a hidden wild / eccentric side :alien:. As a boy I lived in Sandy Bay, Fern Tree, Taroona etc even did Hutchins. But don't worry, we moved to Sydney before they got to me o_O :rolleyes:
    Clevohead likes this.