The Season 7 Show Down "Clash Of Titans"

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by aussie_man21, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    That was a fun race, there ended up only being 7 in the RumblesRoom.

I knew I had to pull something special to be able to match it with the Div 2 guys, let alone Div 1. I was about 3 seconds off the pace in qualifying which i was reasonably ok with. I hadn't practiced much so it was ok.

Zamps stole the pole with a flying lap, good on ya mate.

Started in 5th. The first stint we all remained relatively bunched up, only about 10-15 seconds separating us all. I was managing to not get completely swamped by the faster guys behind me. Only made a couple of mistakes, not too bad. Pitted lap 6 i think it was for the mediums. Felt good the previous lap passing most everyone in the pits and running second for half a lap!!

On the mediums I was sure I was catching Bonus ahead of me, as I kept getting glimpses of his arrow just ahead on my map. Just not quite close enough to get a visual on the track though. Had a good battle with Rumbles, passed each other once or twice, but his tyres I think started to go off a lot earlier than mine and I was able to pull away. Late pitstop around lap 13 for the softs and off to finish the race.

I didn't get lapped, so was happy with that!!! LOL
  2. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Good job Turbo....was a good race in my room too. Only had 7 as well (EARTH TO HOSIE !! :p )

Quallied 3rd behind flood and blueyonder and after half a lap the three of us got a bit of a handy gap on the rest of the field. I decided to sit back and watch for a few laps trying not to hurt the tires and we were still close going into lap 7, where they peeled off into pitlane, but i thought i might be able to be tricky in clean air. As it turned out i should have pitted as well as i lost too much time on dead tires for that 1 lap.

I pitted for meds and as i came out of the lane there was a group of cars nose to tail, with blue and flood not too far up the road. I went side by side with neishy up the back and he tried to let me go, but in a bad spot he missed the apex and copped a penalty just before he pitted. (sorry neish, no-one did anything wrong, it was all a bit ugly thats all )

The gap was about 14 secs with about 6 to go. Flood and blue were still at it and pitted again, so was up to first and wondering if i could get home with a one stop......when the gap got to 9 secs i thought i had better pit as they would have eaten me alive.....

So with 4 to go i pitted for softs, they were on meds and i had to find about 14.5 secs to find i think. (reading the foggy writing it could have been anything !) 2 laps to go i got it down to 9 secs, then with 1 to go was down to about 4 secs. Flood had a moment coming out of the hairpin so got passed him, and blue was about 2.5 secs now coming onto the back straight. Closed heaps under brakes into the final chicane but couldnt get it done finishing just .6 (i think) behind him for second.

Great race guys, different strategy played out in the end, you guys looked like you had a great battle the whole 16.5 laps, well done.

A Quiet few weeks now on the sunday and will look to get season 8 finalised.

Cheers
    Stu
  3. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Good job Aussie, now you need to organise a full series!!

Well done Chev, too quick. And to Aussie for sniping 2nd, that last lap was crap. Man did I chose the wrong strategy. Good fun though, wish I'd remembered and done some laps during the week. Just too busy atm, and not helped by the fact I got Max Payne last week...I needed bullet time for a few corners last night!!!?!?! Btw, great pole to Top Cat, sadly cold tyres on lap 1 can be killers, bad luck man.
  4. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Thanks Anon, it was anyone's race really, the slipstreaming at Spa makes it difficult to get away. Even though my tyres were in better condition in the last 2 laps, I just couldn't make a break. I think my strat was sound, but I made too many little mistakes to break clear in the last 2 or 3 laps. Good job to you Anon, and Aussie. So close in the end. That last lap was hilarious.
  5. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    Spewing.. I completely threw away a win with a stupid mistake on the last lap. But all the other errors I made didn't help either.

Qualified 1st with a 2:16.4xx which I was very happy with considering it was my PB and my softs were 2 laps old.
    Got away well and watched Blueyonder and Stu fill my mirrors for the first few laps. Its almost impossible to defend against the slipstream coming out of Eau Rouge, so Blue would take the lead, only for me to take it back the next lap.

Some derp moments, including a short cut penalty had me back to third by the first pit stop, close behind Blue.

Blue and I had an almost identical strategy so we had a good battle for almost the entire race. I pitted for my last stint on mediums a lap before Blue and when he made his stop I had enough breathing room that he wasn't quite in my slipstream. That's where I tried to keep him, but some sloppy lines meant he soon latched onto the back of me.

2 laps to go, running in 2nd, I was exactly where I wanted to be.. I was planning a slipstream attack on Blue on the final lap and I was confident of being able to defend for the rest of the lap. I got an okay run up the hill and it all went to plan just as I had hoped; took first place braking into Les Combes.
    But just as soon as I'd taken the lead I lost it again 2 corners later.. Got a wheel onto something slippery and it just let go, couldn't hold it, into the wall, and watched Blue and Stu fly past me.. Devistated.

I think I can take solice in the fact that the mistake I made was absolutely identical to one Fernando Alonso made at Spa in 2010. So by my reasoning that makes me just as good as him :cool:
    This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzPVWUZmXWE

Well driven though Blue; and to Stu as well for being so close by the end. I didn't even see you coming mate.
  6. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    :lol: great race report, I love this reasoning LMFAO! :lol:
  7. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Lol I remember that spin of Alonso's Flood. Must have been fun to retrace his steps so to speak.
  8. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    thanks Anon, yeah i was looking at something later on.. NEED BETTER NET!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.