Thrustmaster Thrustmaster T500RS

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Randm90, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Randm90

Randm90 Team Driver

PSN ID
    Randm90
    Anyone here running a Thrustmaster T500RS? I am considering purchasing one (Along with F1 wheel add on) to use on my PS4. Just wanting honest opinions on it.
  2. R0T0R-AU86

R0T0R-AU86 Team Driver

PSN ID
    R0T0R-AU86
    As spoken, Good wheel mate! The FFB has good response for the price. This is meant to be an entry level GOOD sim wheel (of course T300 is now aswell)

I brought mine from sponsors PagianImports - http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/ra...es/ps3-wheels/thrustmaster-t500-rs-wheel.html
    That's free delivery!

You can also get the F1 Wheel from them - http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/ra...ring-wheels/thrustmaster-f1-wheel-add-on.html

And here is the 458 wheel - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thrustma...o_Game_Accessories&hash=item4d225ed702&_uhb=1

And of course the new shifter they have just released that's for the PS4\PC http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/ra...ering-wheels/thrustmaster-th8-rs-shifter.html

What got me to buy the wheel was check out reviews on youtube.. Not just professional reviews but reviews like G27 v T500 etc etc. You will want one quick smart :)
    Randm90 likes this.
  3. Randm90

Randm90 Team Driver

PSN ID
    Randm90
    Thankyou!
    I was going to be buying either a T300RS or T500RS from Pagnian along with F1 wheel, but i'll probably be buying a T500! :) Can't stand the pedals on the 300RS
  4. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    I will admit that I like the 458 add-on more than the F1 add-on. The F1 add-on is a little less robust and has see-saw paddles, the 458's are independent. Otherwise I'm happy with the Thrustmaster, haven't had to send it for repairs yet - I'm getting close to a record!!
    Randm90, Clevohead and R0T0R-AU86 like this.
  5. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    The T300 pedals are only base pedals, Thrustmaster is heading in the direction of developing their "eco-system" in order for people to by the wheel base, then the pedals you want, rim, shifter, etc... this early in the plan, and all people re doing is bagging the pedals that are just put in there as a courtesy.

You can buy a Fanatec Clubsport wheel base minus pedals and rim, no-one :):):):):)es about that o_O

Anyway, you can use G27 pedals on any of the new thrustmaster wheels using one of these: http://www.ricmotech.com/product_p/rmt-t500w2g27p.htm

And I will probably be going down the T300 route with the adaptor, and my G27 pedals which I am pretty confident are just as good as the Thrustmater T3PA set.
    Randm90 likes this.
  6. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Agree with Rotor - best entry level top-tier racing wheel available. When you fork out $800 like I did, it better be good, and it was compared to the DFGT and G27.
    Randm90 and stucar17 like this.
  7. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Randm90 likes this.
  8. Randm90

Randm90 Team Driver

PSN ID
    Randm90
    Having some second thoughts, is the T300RS ffb motor better than T500RS? I can deal with base pedals, just want good rim and FFB, and if I can save some $$$ I'll be happy. Thanks
  9. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    T300 is a brushless motor, where as the T500 is a standard brushed unit.

Quick copy and paste from the interwebs explaining basics:

Brushed vs Brushless

A DC Brushless Motor uses a permanent magnet external rotor, three phases of driving coils, one or more Hall effect devices to sense the position of the rotor, and the associated drive electronics. The coils are activated, one phase after the other, by the drive electronics as cued by the signals from the Hall effect sensors, they act as three-phase synchronous motors containing their own variable frequency drive electronics.

BLDC Motor Pros

• Electronic commutation based on Hall position sensors
    • Less required maintenance due to absence of brushes
    • Speed/Torque- flat, enables operation at all speeds with rated load
    • High efficiency, no voltage drop across brushes
    • High output power/frame size.
      Reduced size due to superior thermal characteristics. Because BLDC has the windings on the stator, which is connected to the case, the heat disipation is better
    • Higher speed range - no mechanical limitation imposed by brushes/commutator
    • Low electric noise generation

BLDC Motor Cons

• Higher cost of construction
    • Control is complex and expensive
    • Electric Controller is required to keep the motor running. It offers double the price of the motor.

A Brushed Motor has a rotating set of wound wire coils called an armature which acts as an electromagnet with two poles. A mechanical rotary switch called a commutator reverses the direction of the electric current twice every cycle, to flow through the armature so that the poles of the electromagnet push and pull against the permanent magnets on the outside of the motor. As the poles of the armature electromagnet pass the poles of the permanent magnets, the commutator reverses the polarity of the armature electromagnet. During the instant of switching polarity, inertia keeps the classical motor going in the proper direction.

Brushed Motor Pros

• Two wire control
    • Replaceable brushes for extended life
    • Low cost of construction
    • Simple and inexpensive control
    • No controller is required for fixed speeds
    • Operates in extreme environments due to lack of electronics

Brushed Motor Cons

• Periodic maintenance is required
    • Speed/torque is moderately flat. At higher speeds, brush friction increases, thus reducing useful torque
    • Poor heat dissipation due to internal rotor contsruction
    • Higher rotor inertia which limits the dynamic characteristics
    • Lower speed range due to mechanical limitations on the brushes
    • Brush Arcing will generate noise causing EMI
    Randm90 likes this.
  10. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Plus T300 has the revised twin belt drive system, and improved cooling from what I have read. If you have a G27, spruce up the G27 pedals with a spring upgrade or loadcell upgrade, some nice pedal pads and hook up to the wheel via the Ricmotech adapter and you have a nice (not the bestest but nice) set of pedals for bugger all.
    Randm90 likes this.
  11. Randm90

Randm90 Team Driver

PSN ID
    Randm90
    Wow, sweet, I'll be getting a T300RS then! Get the Ferrari F1 or Ferrari wheel add on and probably some T500RS pedals of ebay and I'm set!!! But standard T300RS it is for the release of The Crew and Project cars!!!
  12. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    As well as our sponsors Motho sells T300 wheels through his shop, I am sure he would help you out, @motho ?
    Crunch and Randm90 like this.
  13. motho

motho Team Driver

PSN ID
    motho
    Sure thing;)
    Clevohead likes this.
  14. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Ok, it may be time to toss a coin on this one, I can get a t500rs and the gte rim (so I can have moving paddles) OR a t300rs and a set of clubsport v2 pedals + cpx adapter for around the same money, I wish I could try both wheels before making a decision, from what I can gather t500 has a more dampened or heavier feeling than the t300 which may or may not be a good thing, I like the idea of a heavier wheel but it may not be in a good way, you don't know without being able to compare them to each other and to my current g27.
    It's a bit of a gamble when you're forking over such a large amount of moolah but dollar for dollar it's probably still cheaper than most other sports/hobbies (unless you're talking iracing)' ie; if I was to get back into surfing i know I'd be up for $700 plus for new board, leggie, deck grip etc, and the rip off that green fees are these days it's cheaper than golf and marginally less frustrating.

Cheers
  15. motho

motho Team Driver

PSN ID
    motho
    What state are you in? Any stores with demo units around you? If in Melbourne I can hook you up a test drive of any of the Thrustmaster stuff
  16. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Thanks dude, but I'm in Queensland nowhere up here would even have one out of the box to look at let alone test drive, if they had them in stock at all, but it's like that for a lot of things here on the Sunshine Coast, 1 hour north of Brisbane but 100 years back in time.
  17. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    You can come and try my T500 Cob, I'm just south of Redcliffe, still a bit of a drive but better than a sausage stroke from Edward scissor hands?!?!? Sold all my Fanatec stuff, but the main differences are the pedals and the on board wheel adjustments - which I do miss. Having to fix it every 6 months I don't miss...

Cyber is working on a fancy brake rig, as I am sure plenty of other guys are, which will mean the difference between the V2's and the T500 pedals will be virtually nil.
  18. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead