GT5 Connection tips for GT5 latency issues

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by sirdave, Aug 14, 2012.

1. sirdave

sirdave New Recruit

Hi guys,

Anyone got any tips for latency problems with GT5? Been kicked nearly every race this season but went all last season with no probs. I have 1.5Mbps wired connection. Halo and other games seem to be ok. Practice, qualifying always seem ok. Seems to be the extra load of having all the cars on the grid that my connection can't handle.

Going to look to switch to new isp (suspect latency is Dodo related) but curious if anyone else has had probs and been able to sort it.

Once it goes bad all the cars fly randomly around the screen and bash into me, never seems to recover.

Does anyone know if GT5 uses central servers or is p2p? Would be good if I could traceroute to specifc servers to confirm latency.

Thanks,
    Dave.
  2. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  3. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I would check whirlpool.com.au forums, and what is you exchange equipped with, Telstra hardware only?
  4. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Sorry Dave, you lost me at hi guys!!!

I have no idea, other than to be frustrated at the fact it works one week and not the next.

Hope you get it sorted.

Stu.
  5. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    GT5 is most definately peer 2 peer mate, dedicated servers would be bloody incredible hey!

Is your NAT open? ie. Type 2 in GT5, if your unsure, go into the options while on the GT Life screen and select "Lounge Settings" (I think), you'll get a screen pop up and it will tell you what your NAT type is, it should say Type 2, if not, your going to have problems, it will also tell you if your bandwidth is high or normal etc, I'm on ADSL2+ and often pull in 1.8mb/sec on Steam and such and GT5 sometimes tells me my bandwidth is normal, after I reset the router it usually returns to high, to be honest though, I don't think a lack of bandwidth is your issue.

However I assume you already knew all of this, in which case, ignore me :lol:
  6. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

If your lounge settings (GT Life -> Options -> My Lounge Settings) shows NAT type 3, you are behind a firewall and need to setup a port forward for the game to run data through. If it is showing up as NAT type 1, it is a direct connection to the modem (which if I recall from somewhere is a bad thing too). The ideal connection type though is Nat type 2 and GT5 plays best with it.
  7. sirdave

sirdave New Recruit

Thanks guys will check it out.