Cockpit F1 inspired build...

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by 125AT, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 125AT

125AT Rookie

I'll put up final pics in the 'show your rig' thread when it is 100% complete. Am looking at getting pictures of that this coming weekend as I have final touches to apply. Really important things like stickers :)
    My last sim racing days were when v8 supercars 3 came out and I had a sidewinder wheel on some crappy, but then new, PC. It all went the south with other commitments being family and business. I have been suppressing the racing bug for years until recently. I purchased Fanatec gear and downloaded F1 2012 from Steam on sale a month ago. As they say, it's a slippery sloap from there:)
    I fast found myself searching for a wheel and pedal setup that my sorry back could handle a long session of and came across these F1 sims that looked really comfy. Gumtree had a great seat for $25 so I picked that up the following day. Now, what the hell to build having no plans, drawings etc let along the space to do it in.
    I found some drawings and dimensions that were confusing as hell and thought great! Two sheets of MDF in my already cramped garage and I was off. The sheet flat out was most of my garage space so as I chopped into it I gained valuable working area and started drilling and screwing like a mad man then I remembered the old saying, measure three times, cut once. I kinda took that on board bearing in mind the only real time I had to do any of this was about 0600 to 0700 every other day so it has been a slow process. About 3 weeks from first cut to first play. All 18mm MDF.
    First side panel glued and screwed...
    [​IMG]

Seat base complete with a few measurement revisions LOL...
    [​IMG]

Skip forward to something looking like a sim...
    [​IMG]

I'll get more up soon. Life calls.... :(
    Crunch, Peter Wise, stucar17 and 2 others like this.
  2. 125AT

125AT Rookie

A few more before I shoot out and pick up the last of the purchased stickers...
    Pedals and angle of the dangle wood work. Left over bits of MDF used to keep pedals in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of a trial for fit before stripping it down to glue and screw.
    [​IMG]

Glued, screwed and rounded before priming etc.
    [​IMG]
    That will do me....
    [​IMG]
    Peter Wise and Stumbles like this.
  3. 125AT

125AT Rookie

A few more...
    Undercoat interior and carpet pedal and wheel area.
    [​IMG]

Oh and front spoiler.
    [​IMG]

No bonnet on to finalise wiring etc.
    [​IMG]

Time for bonnet glue and screw.
    [​IMG]
    stucar17, Peter Wise and Stumbles like this.
  4. 125AT

125AT Rookie

Undercoat, sand and then final two coats of blue.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more stickers and it's complete. Racing numbers and car manufacture go on tomorrow. I intend to get outside shots of it this weekend because light in my tiny garage is dismal for photos, as you can see.
    Peter Wise and Stumbles like this.
  5. 125AT

125AT Rookie

6. 125AT

125AT Rookie

Ok final pics for this thread. The last of two of the three stickers applied being car number and brand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should be obvious now for any V8 supercars followers that the livery is inspired by the new S60's by Volvo. I have really enjoyed what they have injected into the racing this season thus the choice I have made. Just have four 'Polestar' stickers to get hold of then I will stop there and be happy with it as is.

I've really enjoyed this project and a big thanks to Valvoline Australia for supplying all the Valvoline stickers and showing such interest in the build.
    Crunch, aussief1, Blindman and 6 others like this.
  7. 125AT

125AT Rookie

An update. A new addition to the sim. My old 42 inch LCD :D Updated the TV room TV to a bigger better one etc. This adds another realm to the sim with the screen at the end and much much wider.

Happy chappy.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]