PCARS Leagues and night to race.....

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by stucar17, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    With a rather meek PC build (by modern standards) I am running AC at 1920x1080 with almost every setting on Max (except for AF and AA which are down a little) and I still hit the 50-70fps mark which can drop to 30-40 depending on number of AI/other cars on-track, whether its a modded car/track (as these tend not to be as optimised as the officially released content).

The downside to the vids of mine you are seeing is that they are being compressed by Youtube.
    In game the graphics are pretty good (particularly the official AC content) but once I record it using Shadowplay I am saving the recording at 720p @ 10Mbps (simply to save space - which still renders a decent sized file).
    When I prepare the file for Youtube I render the video only at 2 or 3 Mbps so I don't end up with a huge file to upload (I get about 0.6 Mbps upload speed at home)....so the original video from the game loses alot of its crispness by the time it gets to Youtube.
    The Shadowplay replays (especially when saved at 1080p @ 50Mbps look pretty much exactly what you see in game - but takes about 380MB/minute of video, so 1 lap around Bathurst for example is just shy of a 1GB video file.

I don't think it would be fair to say that one is better than the other (console vs PC), I think it comes down to what works best for the individual and what compromises they are happy to live with.
    I'm a tech-head and have been involved with PC's for the past 25+ years so they don't intimidate me and I understand their limitations and can usually rectify issues as they arise. For those not so "computer-literate" consoles are a great way to get involved in games without really worrying about anything - when you turn it on it should just work which for the most part this is true (until updates are released that break things), but this happens with most computer-related things these days.

PC's can be more flexible but they can also have a wide variance due to so many different components being on offer so build A may run completely differently to build B - something that consoles do not need to worry about as they are all created equal from the factory.

I am quite happy with using a console for gaming but the recent times with PS3/GT6 and the crazy hassles with the PSN has left a very bitter taste in my mouth and once I had tried the PC realm that seemed to amplify how bad these issues are.

Being disconnected from the GT6 lobbies all the time starts to get to you and you wonder where the problem lies (is my modem/router, internet connection really "that" bad?). Then you start using your PC to game and find you can stay on an OS server for hours without one issue (other than suffering high latency) but without disconnection and the console issues no longer point in your direction (IMO).

PS4 and PSN+ may operate totally differently (and I hope they do for all that decide to go down the console route) but at this point without knowing for sure I can't bring myself to purchase a PS4 and risk it. Coupled with the fact that PD have fallen well short in their promises to release all the features for GT6 I wonder if they will now hold off on the likes of the track creator etc and instead introduce this in GT7 to entice GT fans to upgrade.
    Fortunately I have my PC and technical skills to fall back on and use instead which makes my decision to use the PC option easier - but for others I can appreciate that console is more attractive.

My $0.02
    T_Vue, stucar17 and Peter Wise like this.
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Plus don't forget "Steam Machines" are just around the corner for the "Supposedly" best of both worlds :cool:
  3. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    I would be going PS4, but like many others here I will be waiting on opinions from RooZ members before I decide to invest in the game and likely a new wheel.
    stucar17 likes this.
  4. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Well said doogle.

I am most certainly NOT a tech head and am on record as saying i love the plug and play option of the console. HOWEVER, the frustrations of PSN are making me think about getting outside my comfort zone and the possibility of getting a PC, to run with my current GT6 / PS3 option. If PCARS proves to be a solid option on PS4 i will be there in a flash, but i will be waiting for that to be confirmed. If its a clanger, i will prob go down the PC route, till GT7 is released and again i will see how it stacks up with the online portion.

TBH, i dont go much for the offline part of it, other than building my garage to get the car we need for our leagues i hate the grind of it......for me, racing my mates is where its at.

Got everything crossed the PS4 version of PCARS gives me what i want.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    S_CLOSE, T_Vue, Clevohead and 2 others like this.
  5. PurpleDog

PurpleDog Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    PurpleDog
    As a long term PSN user (ie, since PS2 days of PSN) the Sony side of things has only gotten stronger with each generation. The issues with GT are purely in the domain of PD. No other game that I have ever played online has had as many issues with connecting friends to play together than GT6.

Having primarily been a FPS player online for many years, I can only say that from PS2, it got better on PS3. And from PS3 to PS4, it got rock solid on FPS games. I am hoping that PD will get their :):):):) together and utilise the network more appropriately to give the paying public a much smoother ride through the online experience, or PCars is going to kill it if they have worked to make the online experience work. FPS games quickly worked out that you put a story mode for some trophies, and made sure that online worked because that was how you kept eyes on your game and not the opposition. PD seem to have gotten that completely arse about.

Having said that, I purchased AC on a whim when it was half price a few weeks ago, as I had some credit in my Steam account, and I have been blown away by how awesome that game sounds, looks, and feels. GT is supposed to be 'the real driving simulator', but it feels like Accolade's 'Test Drive' from the C64 days (showing my age now) compared to AC. Will that stop me from buying GT7? Probably not. Will it stop me buying PCars on PS4? Again probably not. I have a 3 year old, top spec for it's day DTR to play games on, and more PS's of varying numbers than is probably healthy, so I will probably have as many versions of each game as I need to play anyone, anywhere once I add a dedicated screen for my cockpit.

Ideally, if the PCars team are smarter than the average bear, they will work out a way that progress is not platform dependent, and you can pick up your account from any version and run with it. That will be when we have true 'social gaming' but I don't see either Sony or Microsoft wanting that to eventuate.

Anyway, straying off topic, but the TL: DR of this post is: I will probably end up with them all.
    Peter Wise and Clevohead like this.
  6. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    who is getting pcars on pc & ps4? It will be very interesting to see how similar the physics will be when going from pc to ps4 and vice versa.
  7. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Pre-ordered for PS4 tonight.

Month away can't wait.
  8. Blindman

Blindman Team Driver

PSN ID
    BLINDMANRACiNG
    Yes I'll be in stu ps4 on last night and had a little lag on a couple of races but cleared up pretty quick
  9. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Why not run PC and PS4 on the same night like separate divisions.
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  10. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Haven't dealt with setting up online rooms, but looks like you can have 'invite only' lobbys which is handy. Can't see myself seriously competitive without a wheel though. It's been like relearning how to play, and then I go back to GT6 and it's all second nature. Wouldn't stop me from trying though!!

I wonder if we'll end up with people leaving GT6 for pcars like has happened with AC?

I'm hoping a league can be run midweek so I can do both, Wednesday's would be best for me but then I couldn't run the midweek full distance practice lobby, which is super handy for sorting pit strategy. I reckon we should run a couple of one offs to test the waters. I know @Konnor McCluskey and @X-WTF_MAN-X and some other guys have got a few races organised already. Might set up a few official PS4 races before the next season starts.
    Blindman likes this.
  11. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I can't see myself entering a PCARS league until Sony allows the G27 to be compatible. Money is tight enough as it is, I don't want to be paying another $500+ for a wheel when the PS4 is already expensive.
    Watto64 likes this.
  12. Watto64

Watto64 Rookie

^^^ What he said!!!!!
  13. Peter Wise

Peter Wise Professional

PSN ID
    copperj32. Steam: copperj32
    Thats why I got it on PC. Only thing I needed to buy was $170 graphics card and I can play AC and Project Cars with my Logitech DFGT :).
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  14. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    I'm seriously reconsidering my entry for season 6. PCARS has ruined me for GT6! It's just a much better game (as well it should be) and GT6 pales in comparison. Even the online is much better in terms of stability.
    Having the LFA win the car poll didn't help either hahaha, so much love for the Aston!

Anyway, I'd be very interested in a PCARS league, would much prefer it to be either during the week (or not Sunday night). If anyone is keen, maybe we could set up some trial events and see what cars work on which tracks etc. Formula A on a short track might sound fun, but the reality is different!

Formula A would be a good series too...so much better than the Formula Gran Turismo!
    groover33, Blindman and Cyber_STIG_77 like this.
  15. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Yeah the cost for me is too large to commit just yet, im sticking to PS3 and G27 till after GT Academy at the earliest, then consider my position then from what happens in that.
  16. X-WTF_MAN-X

X-WTF_MAN-X Team Driver

PSN ID
    X-WTF_MAN-X
    I'm in for sure
  17. Konnor McCluskey

Konnor McCluskey Team Driver

@Ad2mny i don't mind running a mid week event as I think the one that I did on Sunday was really successful and the time transition was just perfect. So I'm definitely keen
    Ad2mny likes this.
  18. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Yeah 20 laps was just about perfect too. Maybe 5 more? Gt3's are great too. I will start up a thread very soon where we can set out our liveries/cars for a small 3-4 night event?
  19. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

would love some FA...
  20. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    I'm keen, but can't do Wednesday nights.