New Modem...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aussie_man21, Jul 7, 2012.

1. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    whats the best way to set up the modem and PS3?

I'm running 1.2 to 1.4 mbps upload and 200 to 250 kbps download. well that's what the PS3 is telling me... (home computer is at 100 mbps)

everything is straight wired connection... based on the speeds (above) Is this Good, Bad or Average of a PS3 on a wired connection?

please help me with info on the best way to get max connection strength for PS3....

Cheers
    aussie AKA Dumbarse :p
  2. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    WHAT !!!??? 1.4 down and 250 up WTF... i thought you were on ADSL2... thats what happened to me when i first signed i'dring them up aussie or either you've made a mistake..... because im getting 4.4mbs down and 798.0 up...

something must be wrong m8
  3. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Welcome to new age internet Aussie... LMAO.

Now, the stats you've posted are horribly wrong. Hopefully you've posted it backwards, should be 1.4mbps DOWNLOAD and 250kbps UPLOAD.

1ST... What brand and model modem did you get... Netcomm, Billion, Netgear????

2nd... Once I know that, we can figure out if it supports DMZ.. If it does, then we can set up just the Playstation to run in the DMZ and that negates the need to do port forwarding.

I'll check back when you post the model and make.

:)
  4. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    yeah know m8. it sucks arse big time.

i haven't port forwarded or anything like, As i don't think i should need it!!!! Or do i???
  5. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    The modem is BRAND new on the bottom it says

BoB2 4port DECT wireless Voip Modem
    Model BOB2 (GLD411-A)

The handbrake said it does support DMZ...
  6. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    What brand is it Aussie ?
    Adsl 2 should give you between 4-20 Mbps download, DMZ is the best way to go ! It just makes everything run smoother. With Adsl 2 you will see a variance in your download speed depending on the network load but generally you should be getting 4 Mbps +, anything over 10mbps is a bonus
  7. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    only thing i can think of was someone was downloading when you tested it but if it doesnt improve theres either something wrong with the line or the modem m8 hope you get it sorted
  8. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Did you get a user manual for the Bob2? I'm guessing you're with iinet, and it's the black modem with an included handset??

I can't find a downloadable user manual, so you need to find the section in it for "setting up a DMZ".
    It's not that you shouldn't need to set one up, the modem is fine, just the PSN will work much better if you do set it up in a DMZ.

First things first, go to your PS3, go to network settings (far left and down a bit on the dashboard). You need to set the network manually and select a static I.P. address for the PS3. (Will look something like 192.168.1.1 (thats the generic addy for a Netcomm)). I chose a number a bit larger as I have a few wireless devices that get given i.p. addy's. So, for example, mine could be 192.168.1.30, (that leaves room for 29 other devices to connect without interupting my DMZ setting). You will also need to set the default gateway (normally 255.255.255.0 and your internet provider's DNS addy's).

After setting the PS3 to such a number, then on your computer, set the DMZ I.P. address the same as the one you set for the PS3 (192.168.1.30). You can only have one I.P. number in a DMZ at any one time.
  9. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Ok, found the Bob2 manual. Your I.P. addy for Bob is 10.1.1.1. Open a browser window and type that into the address bar, it should pop-up a box needing a password... The default is admin (you should change that once you are in too).

Then its a matter of going into "advanced settings" (#5 going by the pic in the manual) and finding where you set the DMZ up.

Also, check the data on the page once you get into the modem,
    #3 - Internet speed and
    # 6 My adsl standard - this should read G992.5(ADSL2+). If it has G.DMT, then you're only connected at ADSL 1 which would account for the low speed you posted earlier.
  10. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    thanks m8. will try some tweaking and see where i land...
  11. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    What results do you get from speediest.net Aussie?
  12. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    1.2 - 1.4 Mbps download
    and
    200 - 250 Kbps upload

but have found that i am running ADSL 1 so yeah not to sure what settings would be best to get the max Mbps and Kbps..
    which iinet say is 8-10 Mbps down and up, :lol:

But there is another But that all depends on a lot of things such as
    age of line in house, (which doesn't look that old)
    If you have Alien technology,
    distance to local exchange (which is LESS then 1.5 km)
    If the sun rise on the left side of your house
    and Blah Blah Bull:):):):) and Blah Blah Blah Crap.. :p

Ps
    on all the results from testing things like Ping rate and all that,
    i should have enough Mbps to support 2 house!!!!
    Farken technology!!
    wonder if i can play GT5 with a Pigeon Carrier :lol:
  13. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    sorry, that should have been speedtest.net. stupid iOS.

adsl2exchanges.com.au should tell you what speeds you should be getting
  14. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    thanks Figjam will look at it and see what i can come up with Results wise..
  15. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    There should be an option in the advanced setting in your modem to change from G.DMT to G992.5(ADSL2+). I've never had any experience with the Bob2, so am not familiar with the exact spot to change the setting.

Just looking through the Bob1 user manual (probably completely different to Bob2 - but it goes into heaps of details), on the advanced settings page, there is a button on the left that says "ADSL", if you click on that, you should find a drop-down box and can select 992.5 ADSL2+. Try that, but if it doesn't work, then go back to "automatic" and ring iiNet because there is something horribly wrong.

Did they send the modem pre-configured, or did you have to set it up yourself???

I am 1.6 Kms from the exchange (by copper) and I connect at 17000Kbps down and 1020 up. Roughly translated, 2MB/s download and 850Kbps upload real speed.

Here's a link to downloadable manuals... http://www.iinet.net.au/hardware/bob/manuals/
    Page 42 on the Bob manual tells you about changing the ADSL parameters.
  16. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Are you sure iinet haven't put you on ADSL1 until a port becomes available in the exchange?
  17. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    no ive been with iinet and this is exactly what they did to me i had to ring them up and complain because we specifically ADSL2+ and we got ADSL1 i hate to say to i told you so aussie but anyway after this little stuff up you may getbetter service than what i did who knows but hope you get it sorted...
  18. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    whoa figgie ( D'oh WRONG PERSON I MEANT STUMBLES ) im 7kms+ away from riverstone exchange and i get 4.2 - 4.7 Down and always 798.0 Up so i guess im pretty lucky hey...
  19. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    thanks fellas, still got some time til s8 so will poke around and see what breaks and goes faster :p
  20. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    still reckon ADSL2+ is what you should be on imean theyve messed your plan up if thats what theyve given you but anyway i'll but outand leave it to you