The real Mt. Fuji

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KoAStR, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Hi Guys,

I was granted an awesome oppurtunity to travel to Japan through work this week. It was a whirlwind trip, I didn't stay in the same city or bed twice in a row for the whole week.

Anyway, travelling from Tokyo to Hiroshima on the bullet train I was in absolute awe of Mt. Fuji. It is massive. I got some photos, and thought you guys might be interested since this iconic land mark also appears in GT5 (e.g. scroll through these S2 pics) . The photos don't do justice to it's awe inspiring presence, but they will have to do!

Mt Fuji absolutely dwarfing the city beneath it. notice the speed of the train (>300km/hr) causing the foreground of the image to distort!
    [​IMG]

Mt Fuji re-appears from behind some hills...
    [​IMG]

Mt. Fuji disappears behind some hills.. this photo is just 16 minutes before the one above!
    [​IMG]

The speed of the bullet train is amazing. >300km/hr. Tokyo to Hiroshima is about 900km and we covered that in about 4hrs with stops etc. But it is so smooth you wouldn't know you're travelling nearly that fast.
  2. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Very nice mate.

If you don't mind me asking, what the hell do you do to be able to have a work trip to Japan? I am part of a global company and have been no farther than Townsville :lol:
  3. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I'm a Mechanical Engineer. My company is purchasing linepipe from a Japanese mill for a project I am working on. Two of us went over for Pre-Production Meetings and mill inspection etc.

It's the first time I have travelled for work, or to anywhere in Asia for that matter.
    Also went to Batam Island. Left Perth early Sunday morning, got back Thursday midnight.

Sunday night was in Tokyo, then bullet train Monday arvo to Hiroshima.
    Tuesday by car train/car to Hikari for the day, then bullet train that night to Fukuoka.
    Wednesday flew to Singapore, boat to Batam island.
    Thursday boat back to Singapore, fly to back to Perth... sheesh!
  4. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    heard the customer service in Japan is amazing Dave? And they will never accept tips from you either..not their culture
  5. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Wow, what a quick (yet awesome) week :)
  6. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea service was very good Trent. No tips, but not cheap either, especially Tokyo. Didn't matter to me though, I wasn't paying! :D

Spot on Rumbles ;)
  7. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

I auber jealous K right now.. I almost green with envy :lol:
  8. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
    That's wikid Koastr. It makes me miss Japan and memories of climbing to the top of Fuji-san...
  9. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    you were in Hiroshima ?? what does it look like these days LOL
  10. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
    I was also there once. I went to the Hiroshima Atomic Bomb museum. There is till one building standing with loads of rubble around from that time... surreal ..
  11. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Completely rebuilt and expanded no doubt. You wouldn't even know it got flattened.
  12. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Exactly Chev (from what I could see). Unfortunately I didn't have time for any sight-seeing there though.
  13. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I just tallied up my travel and meetings time - 63 hrs from Sunday to Thursday! (at home today)
  14. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
  15. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Sounds like a good memorable trip Koastr. Might be more memorable than you think, Mt Fuji was in the news today, some scientist was saying the magma got shook up in the earthquakes and there could be a massive eruption coming some day ( didn't say when). If it does It will cover the entire city with ash and have world wide implications.
  16. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

17. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Thats awesome Dave, I would love to shoot past Mt. Fuji.

Here are some pics from my last trip to Japan, it was in 2005! Only felt like it was a few years ago.
    http://imgur.com/a/w4sjs
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Hey Dusty you are still alive! :D

Great pics.. The first one looks very familiar, perhaps we even stayed in the same hotel.
    I have a few pics from wining and dining, and from a few hours looking around Tokyo (fish market and temple) but unfortunately that was the all personal/sight seeing time I got.
  19. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Hehe yeah I'm still here, I did some practice in the v8 with Neishy and Bonus the last couple of weeks, but haven't seen you online.

Nah, I was in Osaka, I was there for 2 weeks with work. My translator took me to Kyoto on the weekend I had free. I also have pics from the Osaka motor show somewhere I'll see if I can find some pics from that. Japan is really nice to go, if you are a guy. I get the impression that they lack respect for women, especially in the office I was in.
  20. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea I agree with that.

Since about a week before the trip I've been pretty busy, and then taking advantage of some good weather in my spare time, or just plane too knacked to race.
    I don't think I've moved my wheel set or even logged into iRacing for 3 or 4 weeks now. I was getting on for a session with Bonus once or twice a week for a few weeks there. Hopefully will get some time to jump on for some racing and catch up with you guys soon.