VR This is what you see when you wear an Oculus Rift CV1

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Ryzza5, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Before I received my Rift I heard many say it was brilliant but I also heard some disappointment as to the visual quality. I assumed it would be good enough for me not to care (which is true) but there are probably many others who are also unable to 'just try it' and wonder what they can expect to see if/when they finally get to wear one. So I took the mirrored output of one race and made the following visual edits to give a rough idea (don't shoot me if it's not 100% perfect) of what the Rift is like to look through:

Yes you can see the black edges on the sides (you can actually see a little more above and below the edges shown here) but don't forget this image is hard up against your face and not half a meter away. Having the Crew Cheif Spotter mod helps fill in for the lack of peripheral vision when racing in packs.

In reality, the picture is a bit more dotty than this - I have compensated for the fact that you'll notice it less when focusing on where you are going (conversely, you'll notice it more if just watching a video).

Alternatively, squash a large cylindrical can into the above shape and stick it to your face with some fly screen on the end and go drive your own car quickly (and carefully). :)
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Pete, Spidey_11, Cyberstig1 and 5 others like this.