GT-Sport Visualized Race Pace

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Matthyus, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    TL: DR
    I did this. It looks pretty and thought I'd share with you :D
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=10MpQ9mvmgeqRgCyOzHnA3XWQJ0YWdaRH

So, in case you were not aware, I've been helping @Hatfield and @emmo46 out with setting up the Divisional breakup for the regular GTS Sunday seasons.
    Last season I took over the stats for Emmo as he wanted a break.
    Now I'm a stats man. I love numbers. Call me odd, but meh.
    I had originally proposed a slightly different way of doing the divisional breakup to what had been done in the past. In short the previous method was to see how racers went and if they dominated a season, they moved up a div ( or 2 in some cases) to a division that better suited their rough speed. If you came first or 2nd in a season, you moved up. If you come last consistently a move down was discussed. I had mixed feelings about this method as it takes ages to get the divisions close enough so that everyone on has a chance at a podium or at the very least some close racing.
    So I proposed a new method of to give us some data to play with to provide some solid evidence to correctly assign a racer to a division.
    Bare with me here!!
    The new proposal!
    I take each racers FL and TRT (Total Race Time) and break them down to milliseconds.
    I compare these figures to the fastest acheived for that race, providing you with a percentage difference to the fastest.
    I do this for all races in a season, then average it by races completed. If you park up or DSC you don't get a time, but your time doesn't get divided by the uncompleted race.
    This figure at the end of the season is your overall pace in that car.
    I've done this for ALL 5 GTS seasons so far.
    I've also combined and Averaged out all the seasons figures to provide an OVERALL pace figure.
    It is this pace figure that I use to slot you into your division.
    Now, we know that some racers are faster in slower cars, or slower in fast cars, just fast or working on their skills, so this is where having data to look back on helps.
    For instance, for the test season, we are using a GR4 car.
    We've used a GR4 before, so after I had the entrant list, I took the racers overall pace and slot them into a sheet. Then I looked at the pace each racer did in the previous GR4 car and modified the divisions. For example @emmo46 and @incey are faster in this car so I moved them up from the lowest div. @NAACS and @CAB77
    I used this method for S5 and it seemed to do its job, however it was the first season so some minor tweaks will take place in the next season.

Now on to the visual part of what I have done.
    The below link is a spreadsheet containing ALL 5 seasons of pace for ALL 110 GTS racers.
    If you wish to look at it, 'Download it' as opening it in Google Sheets just doesn't work.
    Once downloaded and open, 'Enable Editing' and 'Enable Content'
    For now ignore the values and look at the graph. Lots of lines and it means nothing, although it does show a trend. However talk about that later.
    If you choose the 'Driver' drop down box and 'unselect' 'Select ALL', you can now scroll through the list of drivers and choose whom you wish to compare.
    As an FYI, the lower the number, the faster you are. The higher the number, the slower you are.
    @KeedenMcdonald (beau231) currently holds the fastest pace at near 100% pace. All other racers are slower by a certain percentage.

The trend I talked about earlier is very visual. Notice the S2 data points are lower, meaning all racing was 'closer'. Now look at S3, how almost all data points spread out, meaning more spread out racing. Again in S4, the racing was much closer and S5 spread out again.
    I encourage anyone to have a look and post any questions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10MpQ9mvmgeqRgCyOzHnA3XWQJ0YWdaRH
    Tristan Jones, Noxrai and Hatfield like this.
  2. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    interesting...
    Here is a quick compare I made using your sheet of a few div 1 drivers who have been in every gt sport season (bar jono)
    [​IMG]
    Matthyus likes this.
  3. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    Interesting, however the fastest lap of a race has never been a consistently good indicator of race pace, especially when talking about me. For a lot of races I would have pit and set a much faster lap afterwards than if i had no stopped as a lot of other drivers did. Don't have any idea how you can adjust for this. Also, if you manage to get higher in position than you expected it would be unusual to risk it all on a fast(er) lap. Averaged over 5 seasons it probably gets pretty close i guess.
    Matthyus likes this.
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    it uses total race time too.
    try it out and compare yourself with other drivers you are normally similar to in pace and see if what it indicates is what you think
    Matthyus likes this.
  5. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Yup what hat said. Yes a single FL doesn't show overall pace, but mix that with TRT and you get a pretty good example of your pace. Since TRT takes into account pit stops, accidents etc.
  6. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    I did some comparisons, interesting as I said.
    Matthyus likes this.
  7. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    For you I would have compared emmo, glenn, pat, maybe me.
    Yes. It is interesting to see how we perform in different cars to others.