Season 3 - Radical SR3-RS Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by COME_AND_GET_ME7, May 1, 2016.

1. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    I think some strategic tuning is going to be important for this round, rather than just concentrating on lap times - as it's a sprint race on a short track, the lap times will be closer than usual, therefore cars will be closer together than usual and there's also no pit strategy in play - so being able to pass and able to defend when required will be the key to success.

Sure running higher downforce 'may' be quicker through sector 2 and produce some good lap times, but it 'may' not be the best setup for the race. Realistically the best overtaking spots on this track are into Turn 2 and into Turns 10/11 (ala Spoon Curve) which are preceded by straights (ok, so it's not really a straight before turn 10, but its still flat out), so in order to maximise the overtaking possibilities into those corners you'll need a speed advantage, which you wont get with too much downforce in your setup. In order to overtake anywhere in sector 2 you'll have to be either much much faster than the car ahead (unlikely) or rely on them making a mistake, which I think is the lower probability option of succeeding in the race.
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    SuiCid3, dj2ca and zuluwoffle like this.
  2. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Adding to Spectre's comments, consistency is also going to be key. No point being fast for one lap if you keep spinning or nearly losing it every other lap.
    stucar17, SuiCid3 and The_Spectre like this.
  3. dj2ca

dj2ca Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. Much better off having some extra speed to use in sectors 1 and 3 where you actually have a chance at making a pass. Not much point in reducing sector 2 times, except for perhaps in qualifying. One aero setup for quali and one for race maybe.
  4. COME_AND_GET_ME7

COME_AND_GET_ME7 Professional

You've then got the stability issues when running low downforce. The chicane in particular is that much harder on low downforce even when not pushing for fastest lap times.
  5. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Yeah that chicane can be pretty difficult on low downforce, especially while the tyres are a bit cold. Gotta find a good balance. You still running 8 on the rear? I figured you'd dialed it down quite a lot the way you were flying along the straight last night.
    COME_AND_GET_ME7 likes this.
  6. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Yeah I tried lowering it but I dunno. It will probably only be a qualifying setup to get me on pole. Still need to work out a good race tune.
    dj2ca likes this.
  7. seth123

seth123 Professional

PSN ID
    S1E2E3TH
    1.0? What ever happened to running low camber to exploit the games glitches
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  8. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    It's still the fastest way due to the rolling resistance issue, but running low camber has side effects such as not being particularly stable on some tracks (or areas of particular tracks) - so adding some camber can make it slightly easier to drive
    seth123 likes this.
  9. COME_AND_GET_ME7

Only to reduce rear tyre temps as pressures don't seem to be doing anything
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  10. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Just finished a full length race on sakitto. And with my rear camber at -0.8 my tyres didnt get over 105 degrees.

Lap times actually came down aswell. Just felt more stable and hence i was willing to throw it into corners a bit more.
  11. Kart-No-1

Kart-No-1 Professional

PSN ID
    Kart-No-1
    I think the tyre wear on the wets is a little severe. 3 spins and you may as well pit for fresh rubber.
  12. Slambobagan

Slambobagan Professional Super ROOZ

Just finished a race practice very sketchy to get more than 10 laps out of the wets, it was dry by lap 12 though.
    Best laps 1.53.3wet 1.44.4 dry same tune as last track apart from final drive and pressures.
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  13. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    yeah the wet will certainly be a challenge.
    The rears get hammered if you spin consistantly.......trying to come up with a tune that suits the wet and dry will be a challenge....hope to do some laps tonight and get something.....will share it out to anyone who wants it
    George, Spidey_11 and ADZA_85 like this.
  14. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    What kinds of pressures are you guys running at Monza? I can't keep my rears below 100, they rocket up after a couple of laps.
  15. ADZA_85

ADZA_85 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    turned a few laps last night with some guys before i had to bail for work. i cant say ive driven a track i dont enjoy yet but IMO Monza is an absolute bore with the Radical. Anywho..

i cant seem to find a balance with the front end. if i drop aero to 0-3 as i know some here run, i have no front end.

Tips for increasing mechanical grip for wet conditions?!

or is it a case of learn to drive with what you have...

i havnt turned 10 laps yet but first inpressions is the car can be a nightmare in wet conditions
  16. autech91

autech91 Professional

From memory the quick guys in last rounds wet race had a tune with zero decel lock on their dif to stop the rears locking up and generating heat.
    dj2ca likes this.
  17. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    did those pressures i gave you work ?
  18. jasondull1986

jasondull1986 Professional

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    Has anyone else noticed we are at round 5 and not one full tune posted.
  19. ADZA_85

ADZA_85 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ADZA_85
    This is my notes i keep for each round with set up. Ive only turned 10 laps so this may change but its stable at this point. And with wet conditions that could win the race

28Laps
    1.64 per lap (avg)
    1.64 × 28= 45.92 (47l)
    PB: 1.47.521(full fuel load)
    Pit:
    TUNE
    Wing: 0-3
    Tire Pressures:
    FL 1.26
    FR 1.28
    RL 1.33
    RR 1.31
    Brake Bias: 52 wet to 57 dry
    Brake Duct: 0%
    Radiator: 0%
    Max Speed: 252kmph
    Ltd Dec: 40%
    Final Drive 4.42
    Camber:
    FL 1.6
    FR 1.6
    RL 0.2
    RR 0.2
    Master Scale 20
    jasondull1986 likes this.
  20. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Quit time travelling plz :p It's Round 4!
    When i get home i'll upload what i'm using for Monza in it's entirety :thumbsup:
    Sam D Blacklock and ADZA_85 like this.