AC [COMPLETED] The Nordschleife Challenge

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by AJ.Scott, Jul 25, 2014.

1. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Guys what car do we want for tonight???
  2. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I like the Cobra and on the one hand driving this straight line racer around a windy track really hones your lines, which can help shave time when you get back in something that's less of a handful...... but it definitely has the least grip and may be a shock after the GT2 which could be nick-named the Kragle o_O(lego movie speak for Krazy Glue). :p

On the other hand, the KTM-XBow is probably a nice progression between the GT2 and the Cobra or Ferrari. Lower grip than the GT2 without combining that with loads of power! :cool:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  3. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    KTM - only cause I did the special event on the weekend.
  4. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    I'm leaning towards the KTM too, did some laps in it the other day, wasn't setting any blistering pace, but found it very easy to drive, and it doesn't seem to mind the BIGGER curbs either :)
  5. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Another fun night on the Green Hell, this time in the KTM x-Bow r, which is a nice stable drive compared to the "bouncing beemer"
    Once again KoAStR set the pace in practise posting laps in the low 7:43's, with Anon and Tovey doing 8:03:3 and 8:10:4 respectively, with myself suffering from the "Armco blues" posting a snails lap with a 14:06:6o_O:rolleyes:.

Qualifying saw Koastr go quicker, with Anon and Tovey posting quicker times also going sub 8min. I was still trying to break the desire to kiss the armco every other corner lol,
    Final qualy times,
    Koastr = 7:42:600
    Tovey = 7:55:458
    Anon = 7:57:428
    AJ = 8:20:815

Race 1, and everyone got away fairly well, I bogged it down off the line a little and lost some 3-4 car lenghts, but thought I could catch them, but it wasn't to be as I was pushing harder than the cold tyres could bare missed a brake point and understeered into the fence, which kinda set the theme for the rest of my race.
    Meanwhile, Koastr had put some distance between himself and Anon & Tovey, who seemed to be battling for most of the opening lap till Tovey I believe had a moment, relieving Anon of any pressure, which was how they finished.
    Koastr was the only driver to post a quicker time during the race with a 7:41:48x and is looking unbeatable with a commanding lead at this point.
    Final times.
    1st, Koastr = 7:41:48
    2nd, Tovey = 7:55:45
    3rd, Anon = 7:57:42
    4th, AJ = 8:20:81 (Retired) looking to redeem myself on Wednesday and go sub 8min ;)

If the final positions aren't correct let me know I'll swap Anon and Tovey around :p:D.

Practise
    [​IMG]

Qualifier
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    KoAStR likes this.
  6. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Yep, was good fun. The KTM was much more forgiving for the beginner. You were right that Tovey had a moment on lap 1, but I had a bigger one 2 corners later. So the race results reflected qual results AJ. I'm just glad you had an off night so I was able to dodge the wooden spoon.
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  7. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    great fun using the xbow and getting to use the 6 speed shifter and clutch starts to take off like a rocket haha was hard to stop myself from clutch kicking a few corners and drift them haha good fun and good fun to end the session with some political talk haha at one point going back and forth sounded like a radio show haha :) cant wait for more gear crunching :D
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  8. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Like I said last night mate, don't get me fired up on politics......was a good thing for you & Koastr my net dsc'ed me :D hahaha, speaking of politics, Here's one you all might like;
    Poli = Latin for many.
    Tics = Latin for Blood Sucking Insects.
    Politics.....need I say more ;)

It was a heaps of fun that's for sure, even from the rear of the field hahaha, and I like the idea of using the Xbow for some tight, short track, races. Koastr could have a 30sec delayed pit lane start :eek:, just to give us all a fighting chance and would be a fun challenge for him :p, probably still beat us too :rolleyes: ROFL.

Looking forward to tomorrow night, going to be practising all this evening though, in an attempt to beat the 8min barrier :D.

Cheers
    KoAStR and Tovey_4saken like this.
  9. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Week 2, night 2, KTM-Xbow-R

Well what can we say other than "AC IS AWESOME":D Tonight's racing was some of the best yet, with all drivers recording PB's at some point.

Qualify 1, the lap times started to tumble with increased tyre pressures in the search for tyre heat, was an excellent first session. I even redeemed myself from my dismal display on Monday night, finally getting that elusive "clean lap" during 1st qualifying session posting a PB of 7:53:327 :D, was a nice reward as I had put in a few hours practice, and honed my car setup more to my liking.
    But it would seem I wasn't the only one on the hunt for a PB, Tovey_4Saken decided it was time to "throw down the qualifying gauntlet" posting a very respectable PB of 7:53:846, dropping in a little more than 1/2 a second behind me. Even the ultra quick Koastr was knocking on the door of a PB, as was Anon666. All 4 drivers recording times in the 1st qualy session under 8min.

Race 1, start was a little messed up, by the time I got the screenie for qually and got on track the race had started and I was some 3 or 4 seconds behind (must fix that) so off I trundled in pursuit of the 3 amigos up ahead :p. Wasn't long before I had Anon, I think, just 4 or 5 car lengths ahead, and just as I was planning my move a curb ran in front of me upset the front end and I found myself inspecting the armco (don't try it, doesn't pay well ;)), once again I trundled off after my fellow competitors. Wasn't long before I caught up to Anon as he had made a few errors, and was in the middle of one when I smiled, waved and cruised by :), Meanwhile Tovey was trying to keep Koastr honest, but it's not easy to catch an alien (just ask Nasa) hehehe, Tovey was to far ahead for me to catch, and I was more interested in whether Anon was going to make in-roads on me. End results were Koastr, Tovey, myself then Anon, I think.
    Cant wait for Kunos to get multi-player race recording implemented :).

Practise 2, was a pearler, the tinkering with tyre pressures was paying off for everyone it seems, with Koastr smashing through the 7:40 mark to post an amazingly fast 7:39:487, and considering last week we ran a purpose built race cars on soft slicks with downforce, this week we're in a 4 pot screamer with no downforce, semi-slick tyres, and Koastr goes shaving nearly 2secs off his PB it's truly exceptional driving, well done mate :D.
    But Koaster didn't have the PB lime-light all to himself. Anon666 was on a mission to make his presence felt on the leader board, putting in an awesome drive around the Green Hell to shave over 3 seconds of his previous PB to cross the line in 7:54:119, well done Anon :D.

Qualify 2, was pretty calm in comparison to the 1st session, we had all gone back to softer tyres in search of better adhesion to the asphalt ribbon that makes up this monster circuit, even our top speeds were down as a result. I was struggling to get below the 8min mark.......again lol, Anon detonated a motor, but had to pull the pin as it was getting late. Tovey, Koastr and myself pushed on, looking for another PB just a 10th would do, but Tovey and myself were failing to regain the form of Q1 and kept making little errors, so with about 12 minutes of Q2 remaining I re-set my focus and started my last attempt at a decent lap time, made 2 small errors and had to back off the accel, but nothing major. Finally punching across the line with a 7:58:158, Tovey was also pushing hard for the sub 8 minute lap, but missed the mark posting a 8:03:886, and the ever quick Koastr posted a solid 7:40:182.

Race 2, and we all managed to be ready for the green light :) Tovey smoked it up hard off the line with his Xbow hooking right and launching towards the armco :oops:. I didn't fair much better, bagging up the rears getting a slower than desired start, but it was an excellent burnout :D. Koastr was Gone already, lol. Tovey recovered from his armco excursion before I could get any traction and snuck in front of me. But it wasn't long before he had an off and I accepted 2nd place, this was short lived, as I too had an off moment and presented 2nd back to Tovey, which he greatfully accepted, rofl. Buy this time Koastr was long gone :) I was getting closer to Tovey and was only some 3 seconds off when I had another error of judgment and speared off to investigate the armco...again :( Race results were, Koastr, Tovey then myself.

WEEK 2:KTM-Xbow-R

RESULTS;

Koastr..................................................7:39:487

AJ (insaneozzy)...................................7:53:327

Tovey_4Saken (Ryan Tovey)..............7:53:846

Anon666.............................................7:54:119

ORIGINAL OP UPDATED

1st Practise
    [​IMG]
    1st Qualifying
    [​IMG]
    2nd Practise
    [​IMG]
    2nd Qualifiying
    [​IMG]

Next week see's us battle the Green Hell in the awe inspiring Shelby Cobra CS, looking forward to it :eek:

Cheers
    KoAStR and Tovey_4saken like this.
  10. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Seeing as we are running the Cobra thought I'd go looking for some nice skins, found some stunner's @RD
    These 3 skins are just showroom stunning, the best skins Ive seen, bar none!
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/shelby-cobra-skins-x3.2999/
    Another nice skin here too,
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/shelby-cobra-gulf-black-edition.2743/

Please download these 2 files, If we all have these skins installed I can designate them on the servers cars list ini, so we can use them for next weeks challenge :D if you have a particular skin you wish to use, link it so we can all download it, and I can add it to the car list ini file.

EDIT: I installed the 8192 res skins, so best we all use the same resolution, otherwise could be drama's.

Cheers
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Tovey_4saken and Anon666 like this.
  11. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Will do mate. Maybe we can give it a trial run over the weekend. Nice write ups. Kudos all round! :D
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  12. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Server car list has been updated to use the skins in the above post for the Cobra next week ;)
    I was thinking just that Koastr, what's a good day/time for everyone, I'm good for any time, can never get enough practise in.

EDIT: Saturday arvo/evening is good for me.

Cheers
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  13. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
  14. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    hey guys wont be able to jump on tonight feeling like complete crap :eek: hoping a good nights sleep for once will recharge my batteries.
    i'll be on wednesday for sure to try and man handle this cobra for a clean lap got all the skins aswell so ill be rocking flames hope you guys have a great time :)
  15. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Rest up mate hope you feel better. The flames are awesome eh?! How's the decal around the fuel cap "Loud Pedal Juice"! :cool:
    I've been running that too, perhaps will have to change to blue flames or maybe the red racer to keep a mix.

I will try and get on tonight but will be after 7- 7:30 at best. Cheers. ;)

I tried a minor setup change over the weekend. Stiffer front rebound. It's good for maintaining mid-corner grip in the front especially as you squeeze on the loud pedal. But this car and track combo is just all about stability and keeping it on track, and this just made me more tentative on the throttle, couldn't get that rapid weight transfer back the rear before it would go pear shaped over a crest...... Even though it feels like it doesn't turn much, that tight setup is still faster - just got to slow it down more pre-turn, then can get on the throttle earlier. For me anyway. Something for you guys to play with and see ;)
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  16. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Only a small turn out for the 1st practice session of week 3, with Tovey not feeling the best and Koastr to roll up
    later, we were off to a slow but steady start. But taming the Green Hell had just gotten considerably harder with the
    Shelby Cobra 427 S/C the car for week 3, this beast is a hard steer at the best of times, driving it at pace around the
    Nords will definitely be a workout for mind and body.

Practice 1, Anon666 and I were slow to get into some better times, I was 1st posting a new PB of 8:25:827, keeping this
    old time monster on track was a real challenge, braking had to be done well before the corner, direction change had to be
    gentle but deliberate and the mind focused for 8+ minutes, even after 3 weeks of running on this track, this car demanded
    a totally different driving style and a high level of respect, otherwise it could end in tears:oops:. Anon was obviously
    getting to grips with the Cobra, going 5+sec quicker to stop the clock at 8:20:605 :cool::) very nice time Anon, new I
    should of given you dud setup numbers, lol. Unfortunately Anon had an early start and had to leave, with Koastr arriving
    just prior to the sessions end.

Qualifying 1, after tinkering with ride heights Koastr and I set off to tame the Cobra, but no matter how I tried I
    couldn't get back into the 8:20's or find the smooth flow I was enjoying during practice, meanwhile Koastr was showing
    the Cobra who the boss was, getting into the low 8min laps, finally showing an 8:01:568 at the end of qualifying.

Race 1, well, more of a practice race with just Koastr and myself, but regardless we were both giving it 110%, Koastr had
    been doing well, knocking on the door of the sub 8min mark all qualifying, so it was only a matter of time, that time
    arrived during the second lap by way of a 7:58:401, or was it 104(scratches head). I wasn't doing so well, having
    numerous spins and making silly mistakes, eventually having a big lose and cartwheeling onto my roof, resulting in a
    quick teleport back to the pits. Undaunted I ventured back out onto the bitumen with the menacing Cobra, but I lasted no
    more than another half a lap before I found myself back in the pits. So I decided to sit the rest of the race out and
    focus on the next session.

Practice 2, Koastr's further tinkering with ride height was garnering results as he was consistently going sub 8min,
    eventually netting himself a 7:57:210, planting him some 23seconds ahead of Anon666 and a couple of seconds shy of half a
    minute ahead of myself. Meanwhile, in the pits, I was nodding off, ROFL. I'd had an early start and a long day, need some
    endurance training hahaha. So I called it a night.

My apologies to Koastr for abruptly cutting his night short.

Practice 1
    [​IMG]
    Qually 1
    [​IMG]
    Practise 2
    [​IMG]

Week 3, Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
    Night 1 results.

Koastr..................................................7:57:210
    Anon666..............................................8:20:605
    Insaneozzy (AJ)....................................8:25:827

Looking forward to Wednesday night, where hopefully everyone can set new PB's.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    KoAStR likes this.
  17. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    DANG this Cobra bites hard :eek: enter a bump straight on and exit it 90 deg in a puff of smoke lol
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  18. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Week 3: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C

Night 2.

Practise 1, was becoming a little too crowded, I removed the Password, and we were inundated by international visitors eager to race with us crazy Aussie's, thundering around this legendary and Iconic track in vintage pieces of machinery, with more horsepower than you could ever need and tiny brakes that barely stop you. It was great to see so many blips on the track map, I had space and was on a good lap the car balance felt good and I was able to keep the power up through some of the trickier sections and managed to keep it on the bitumen somehow for the whole lap, eventually crossed the line with a new PB of 8:14:531, shaving some 11 seconds off my previous PB.
    The visitors weren't getting in the way, but when "penisbutler" joined the map blips suddenly became UFO's, randomly darting all over the track map display, there was some major :):):):) going on, probably due to variation in ping as Koastr pointed out, So we decided to reset the server with the Password in place, from there it was clean sailing.
    We resumed our practise run and our resolve to tame the Cobra on the Nords. Koastr was still tinkering with setup in an attempt to find more time, but the Green Hell was not playing fair and Koastr was posting times similar to Monday in the 7:57-58 area, but positive there was more to be found. Anon on the other hand was finding things a little difficult and by the end of the 2nd half of practise had only posted 12:03:905, I wasn't fairing much better, unable to match my earlier time I finished with an 11:36:646. Tovey wasn't doing to bad seeing as he had missed Monday, posting a 8:34 in the 1st half of the session, then posting a 8:26:636 by the end of the session.

Qualifying 1, and Koastr finally cracked the setup nut, it seems lowering the front and messing with the ARB was the key to finding that little more, helping Koastr over the line in a very quick 7:55:784 PB, an amazing run in a very hard to drive car on an extremely demanding track, well done mate. Anon too was warming to the idea of a PB, he was fast running out of time as he had to depart early due to work. But Anon has proven in the past that he is a dark horse, proving that fact again by way of a surprise 8:16:208 knocking some 9seconds off his previous PB, nice lap mate and well deserved I might add. I was suffering from the "trying to hard blues" and could only nail a 8:33:847. Tovey too was having a hell of a time trying to get a good time, and ended up posting a 8:36:729, definitely not a true reflection of his abilities.

End of Qualifying saw Anon depart, leaving Koastr, myself and Tovey in that order to battle on in the 1st race.

Race 1, and I bogged it down off the line, Koastr and Tovey both got good launches and were shrinking into the distance, when I came undone pushing to hard to catch up. A restart was decided on, thanks guys.
    This start see's Koastr hang back for some 10 seconds, I still bogged it off the line but not as bad as the 1st start, Tovey must of got a slow start, as I was leading by the 1st corner. I half expected to see Koastr come blazing by within the 1st lap, but it never eventuated. Things were going okay, I had a few close calls managing to keep the Shelby Cobra on the tarmac and only spearing off track once, but I had a reasonable lead and managed to still be leading by the start of lap3. Still wondering in the back of my mind (when I wasn't concentrating my arse off) where Koastr was and why he hadn't passed me yet, we were coming up to the halfway point of the last lap when I saw the ominous image of Koastr's Cobra looming up in my mirrors, just when I thought I had a slim chance of taking a rare win, the bubble was burst by the sound of a 427 big block rumbling by to grab 1st place with less than half a lap remaining, nice win Koastr. Was a great race and personally very rewarding to run the 3 laps pretty much incident free.

Practise 2, and the PB attack was back on in earnest, Tovey was still finding the car track combo a difficult one to get on top of, Koastr was still peppering away at the 7:55 lap times, and I was determined to go faster, But I seemed to have less grip than before finding the rear end very loose indeed, only to realise I had loaded the wrong setup,
    (all good, just another blond moment o_O) once I had the correct setup, things got better, much better, I had a cracker of a lap and by the time I hit the back straight I knew if I kept it together it was a new PB, I nursed the Cobra over the bump at the end of the back straight, down the hill and up the other side, heal & toe back to 3rd, get ready for the little right left kink, heal & toe back to 2nd then 1st before the final 90* left hand, ease the power on turn into the last right hand before the finish line, power down hard as we straighten up to cross the line with a new PB of 8:11:645 wooohooo.

As the night had gotten off to a slightly late start Tovey needed to go, as did Koastr. so we called it a good night.

1st practise including visitors.
    [​IMG]
    1st practise pt2
    [​IMG]
    1st qualify
    [​IMG]
    2nd Practise
    [​IMG]

Week 3:Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
    Night 2 results:

Koastr.............................7:55:784

AJ.Scott..........................8:11:645

Anon666.........................8:16:208

Tovey_4Saken................8:26:636

OVERALL RESULTS UPDATED IN OP

Next week see's the final week of our Nordschleife Challenge, when we will do battle with the Green Hell in the Ferrari 312T F1 classic.

Cheers.
    Anon666 and Tovey_4saken like this.
  19. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    ahaha so glad Anon's mate penisbutler wasn't forgotten in the reporting! :D
    Tovey_4saken, Anon666 and AJ.Scott like this.
  20. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Hey guys I will be on the server this arvo and tonight doing some setup work on the 312T, if anyone feels compelled to join me feel free.

Cheers