Division 3 Season 1

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jimmay

Jimmay New Recruit

PSN ID
    whisky_kilo
    Well last night was a bit of an experiment for me... It was the first race of the season where I hadn't spent the afternoon at the pub!

I somehow miraculously qualified in 2nd place, which is good at Spa because you start from the left hand-side and get a good run into turn 1. I managed to start well off the line and was running 1st into the first corner. Unfortunately I hadn't quite figured out a braking point from a standing-start and a combination of me braking early and Stumbles braking late, had me off the track and in last place.

From there it was a game of catch-up. The track was heavily congested for the first few laps but as a few others span and the pack spread out a bit I could finally get past a few. I think I bumped andrew_f_41 a few times (sorry mate).

Coming into the last lap I was running 4th before it all fell apart. I had just passed Bernsey who was still hot on my tail through Eau Rouge. We were running up Kemmel Straight when Bernsey drafted from behind to bring us side-by-side. I was on the left doing 200+kph when just the slightest graze put two of my wheels onto the grass. The car went to spin and as it headed back toward to the track, hit Bernsey who went flying off the track into Les Combes. At that point I couldn't figure out who was at fault, so I slammed on the anchors and waited to let Bernsey out in front. Then we got to the next corner and it looked like Bernsey was trying to let me past. I went to pass on the inside but underteered horribly right into the side of him letting flood_sim past both of us. I tried my hardest to get a position back but again I made more contact and it was all over for me lol

Was still pretty happy with 6th place, a much better result than previous weeks.

Apologies to Bernsey for any contact on the last lap. I think it was going both ways and you came out of it better than me.
    Ad2mny and Stumbles like this.
  2. fearbs

fearbs New Recruit

Lads, despite coming last, that was awesome! Did one practice during the week, and had no pace at all. Started 7th, came out of la source the first time in 4th, and in Moon's tow.. went for a big run thru Eau Rouge, and encountered the 3sec penalty for the first time! Whole pack went past me!! Feck!

Between then and lap 7-8 the dicing was awesome... Some biff and barge, but all I think. On multiple occasions, I thought, this is epic! Bernsy, I thought the flashing was because I punted you, so I lifted and let you through! But yeah, it would have been better to work together and catch Moon. Then I had a few spins, and cut penalties and spun my way towards the back, and out of the tow (which was my only hope to stay in touch!). Was heaps annoyed at myself by then, as I knew I was missing out on more epic racing up front!

Aero eventually caught me and passed me. I passed him on the tow out of eau rouge on the last lap, He towed passed on the run into the final chicane... I hugged the inside, Aero out braked himself, I out braked myself and we stumbled over the line with Aero in front...
    AERO_HDT likes this.
  3. AERO_HDT

AERO_HDT New Recruit

Gotta say, that was absolutely awesome racing last night - even if I was wasted from an afternoon of drinking and roaches (looks like I'm not the only one! :) )

Great racing early on with Bernsy hot on my tail -Bernsy, I kinda figured that you could have taken me at any time but true indeed, we were ekeing away from the others bit by bit but I was pushing 11 tenths and on the ragged edge. My concentration was bound to fail though and sure enough, slipped from fifth to last with one lousy mistake (story of my season!).

Managed to see some awesome overtaking, 3 wide into Les Coombes was fantastic from a spectator's point of view and a few laps later, I was in the thick of it, slipping Flood down Kemmel Straight. I thought I had him, but Adsy had drafted both of us and came soaring up the middle with a perfect move into Les Coombes - I was busy picking my jaw up off the floor and trying to wipe the smile off my face! You can't pay for that sort of action on TV!!!

My mid-race was rather lonely after I spun out, I had Stumbles about 10 seconds behind me and Andrew was faaaar off into the distance. I wee speck on my monitor, I wasn't hopeful of catching him, so settled in for a protracted attempt at putting together a string of clean laps. One stuff-up and Stumbles would be all over me - I was disappointed when he dropped out, as it left me bog last!

I think Andrew made a few mistakes towards the end because I was able to catch him eventually and we had some fantastic dices on the last two laps, especially heading through Blanchimont into the final chicane - Andrew kept to the inside and I figured it was all or nothing, so we both went side by side into the land of "The Last of the Late Brakers" - Andrew missed the chicane by the barest of margins and ghosted whilst he turned back in, I pulled a crossover whilst I had the chance and dashed for the finish line in bleary-eyed whoop of glee!

Hell that was a great race - Spa isn't a strength of mine. Razor - what a way to join the Championship! BOOM! A win straight out the box! Well done mate, if you keep up that sort of pace, the last four rounds are gonna be a cakewalk!
    JonoStan96, razor4797 and Ad2mny like this.
  4. razor4797

razor4797 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    razor4797
    That was an unbelievable way to start my racing season! I did not expect a big result, let alone a win in my first race.
    The only problem I had was that my HUD disappeared when the race started. Never the less it was brilliant. Gary and I had a tough battle for 12 laps, constantly passing each lap, until I broke away on the 12th lap after Eau Rouge.
    I'm looking forward to Trial Mountain this Sunday night!
    JonoStan96, stucar17 and garyw61 like this.
  5. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    Looks like everyone is in agreement that that was an awesome race! Just what we (I) needed after the disaster at Apricot Hill.

First of all I have to say Spa is an epic track to drive, and once I'd figured out which curbs to stay away from the BRZ felt really good to drive around here.
    It's a nice change not to have to worry about tires this season too. I like the fact you can run the whole race just concentrating on your driving, not when you need to make your pit stop. This is coming from someone who doesn't practice or plan a pit strategy and just makes it up on the fly though.

On to the race, part of me is a little disappointed that a shortcut penalty early on then a massive crash later on cost me badly when I was running in a strong position.
    But the result doesn't matter when the race we had was so good! The mistakes I made were frustrating, but the way I was able to fight back made my 4th place all the more rewarding.

The race was so eventful that I can't recall everything that happened. I'll have to go watch the replay to relive it all again!

For me the first half of the race was where all the battling was done. AD, bernsey, AERO, andrew, whisky were all in there at some point.

Second half had me struggling somewhere down in 8th or 9th I think, heading for a bleak result. But the clean air let me focus on driving as best I could and put in some alright lap times. Slowly but surely I was clawing my way back into the race as those in front battled it out.
    Unfortunately it always seemed that the car I was chasing would have some incident before I could latch on to a slipstream and drag myself further back into the mix.

Final 2 or 3 laps I was in 6th chasing and gaining on whisky, who was also chasing and gaining on bernsey. Whisky got a hold of the slipstream and left me behind, but I was still hopeful of catching them.
    Final lap I though 'nope, can't catch them' and had settled for 6th; that was until I was coming down Kemmel and saw dust and sparks in the distance. Without knowing what had happened ahead I was right in the mix to complete a great comeback.
    Bernsey and whisky had the gloves off and were going hard at it! They gave me what I felt was a clear path through the inside at Bruxelles. It turned out to not be as clear as I thought and I got pushed onto the grass but still came out in front. I felt I hadn't done anything wrong in making the move so chose to keep it (there hasn't seemed to be any contention around this so I guess it was okay?).
    Kept Bernsey out of my slipstream for the rest of the lap and brought it home for 4th.

Brilliant race.
    stucar17 and Ad2mny like this.
  6. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Once again, Sorry Jimmay for the pile-up at the start. I'm normally the first of the early brake'rs, just wasn't early enough.
    My first 4 laps were $hite, spun-out on 3 of them (all at the same ripple-strip... you think I'd learn after the first one...lol).
    When Hosie pulled over and I got back to 10th, I thought, well, at least I'll get a point... 2 laps later, my net kicked me.
    From memory, I did a 2:28.905 before I got kicked (but don't quote me, I'm getting old so memory can be a bit dodgy...lol)

Well done to Razor on his rookie win, and the rest of the podium.
    Bring on round 4.
    razor4797 likes this.
  7. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    My recruit done well lol
    razor4797 likes this.
  8. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Pole and fastest lap went to Razor too.

I have an image of the fastest laps, but I don't seem to be able to post photos for some reason. Anybody able to help an old dumbarse?
    razor4797 likes this.
  9. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    You have to upload the picture to an external hosting site (I use tinypic.com), then you copy the direct link an post it into the image upload link (yellow box with sunset next to smiley icon).
  10. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    You could post it on sookbook Rooz page and tag Dave in it too
  11. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I think I have figured the order from the various reports, did Hosie actually try to race?. I still need the lap times though.
  12. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Here's the finishing order Emmo. Hosie was racing, but pulled over about lap 10. I managed a couple more laps then got disconnected.

[​IMG]
  13. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Thanks Stumbles, would you have lap times?
    Stumbles likes this.
  14. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I do now, just got the link from Gary. (A little blurry, yell out if you get stuck).

[​IMG]

I was wrong in my earlier post, got my lap time wrong by .021...lol
    garyw61 likes this.
  15. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Thanks Stumbles, sorry, iPhone will not focus on my screen for some reason.
    Stumbles likes this.
  16. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    No worries, I can read it :)
    garyw61 likes this.
  17. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
  18. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    Hey emmo, I think there's a mistake in our R2 results. I think I should be 3rd while andrew_f_41 should be 2nd.
    fearbs and emmo46 like this.
  19. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    You're right you kmow. Have to change the batteries in my calculator, some added 18 and 3 and got 28 for the sum of race one and two. I have amended the table.
    fearbs likes this.
  20. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I didn't know an abacus worked with batteries emmo? Lol
    emmo46, Clevohead and t_b_williams like this.