GT Sport Season 6 Division 4

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jan 24, 2019.

1. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    you would have come second in D3 by being 5 seconds behind him ;)
  2. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    yet to win a race and yet to set a fastest lap or start from the pole
  3. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    What a race! 3rd in the first race and 1st in the second, better than I could have hoped for...unbelievably better than the despair of crashing on the last corner and losing 2 positions last race.

Wasn't expecting too much with my relative pace at meet n greet, but ended up with a bit of spare time so got a bit of practise in. After my first practise session with TCS2 yielded what i thought were great times, I sent a snapshot to Johnno bragging of my times then realised meet n greet were on RH not RS, and he soon showed me he was getting better times already in his first practise...ahh well. Tried BB-2 for a while to get better stopping power, but was easier to drive and get around corners with BB0, TCS0 really makes it fun pushing the throttle as far as you can without making the bacjk slip <too far> out.

Pre race i found I had better relative pace than I thought, knowing @Kephin_07 @VARDZ and @Matthyus would be in front of me anyway. Couldn't see anyone else lapping as quick as me, great sign. Qualified 4th as I then expected.

Got in front of Johnno early down the inside - glad I was on the inside of that first corner! He did overtake me before making a mistake and slotting in behind me again. Try as I might, I couldn't make any ground on Vardz - I could see the gap increasing just slightly - got a tiny whiff of hope as he messed up the final corner one lap, but the gap soon built up again. I then realised these races are 18 laps not 16 laps as I practised...hoped my tyres would hold out. I became very tyre conscious, but still got a rude shock at lap 16 when the understeer really set in. Johnno started to catch up...but I learned from last week to not let up the pressure, race right to the end...

It will be interesting to see the first corner of the next race - Kev shot across real quick, not sure who got involved in that, was glad to be ducking down the inside, came out behind @fezza and @T F Eccles. I wondered how long it would be until I could pass them - they might have been on pace and just held up in traffic last race. I saw Vardz a few seconds behind me and knew that wouldn't last - his pace would have me caught in 6-8 laps if last race was anything to judge by. I had been behind Fezza prerace, and knew I had an edge on the last corner - so when I crept up on him I didn't bother waiting for a slipstream slingshot and shot straight past him. Seemed close elsewhere! Eventually caught Col too, I could see he wasn't quite apexing as quick as me and knew I just had to wait for an opportunity. After this I was in first and cruised all the way to the finish line. Well not really. Spent way too much time looking at where bigkev and vardz where, and then Johnno passed Col and Fezza and was closing the gap fast. I thought I might just be able to hold him at bay - busily calculating how much time he needed to gain on me each lap to pass - but gave it away, knowing as soon as he was within 0.6 or so the slipstream would have him in striking distance in no time. He sat between 0.3 and 0.8 behind me for the last few laps - I figured he was just waiting to pounce, so I tried to ignore him and just race. Last 2 laps he was real close, so I knew I had to start defending properly - I braked as short of a fraction earlier as I dared, to cover the inside of the corners - he could still go around the outside, but at least I wasn't making it easy for him. Crossed the line in disbelief, my first win! Well sort of...second overall won't show as a win, and it is from a reverse grid - but its there! After talking in chat Vardz was only half a point behind me too - needed Johnno to beat me for Vardz to keep second - then I realised how amazing it was that both Vardz and Kev didn't catch up to Johnno and I - what happened there??!

Stick in there! Time behind the wheel counts. I guess there is a base skill level that places an upper limit on how fast you can get short term, but practise is the fastest way to git gud afaik! Ever heard of "MJ attitude"?

https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2012/08/how-michael-jordans-mindset-made-him-great.aspx

I am grateful I seem to have the pace to keep up with div 4...most of the time. It can get despairing to see others drive away so easy - but you are always very close to me, these last two tracks are a bad example - I have done many laps at both these tracks before in previous races and practise.

Besides - next race is Redbull, you had pace on me there in the P1...what night can you practise? I can join you after 8pm except mon and tue. Recruit Div 1 guys to do some 5 min races, so you can save the replay, then watch the race from their bonnet/ bumper cam (whatever you use) to get an idea of where you are close to optimum and where you need to improve. I have done the same, and am often surprised how close I am in some corners - and more importantly, where the biggest improvements can be made. Have a chat with @Viperzed as head of ICR, get him to race around behind you while in chat, he could give you some pointers. Watch your own replays of previous races too, to work out where you aren't as fast, and what led up to mistakes before they happened. Same as any video game ;) In the end, its a game. If you enjoy it you will come back to it. I enjoyed Gran Turismo that much I bought a PS4 and got back into it after not playing for 10 years...
  4. LennonLegend1993

LennonLegend1993 Team Driver

Jonesey is spot on @T F Eccles

Not too long ago I was in the same boat. My first sim racing game is GT Sport and I picked it up thanks to @deedz_aus basically bugging me to get it haha. After my initial enthusiasm for the game (not that I was any good) I lost interest because I was slow and wasn’t enjoying it. I didn’t race for basically 2-3 seasons (life also got in the way)

But now, the enjoyment has returned. It’s a combination of realising that it is enjoyable, but also putting in a session or two throughout the week and practicing. This has allowed me to be quicker and more competitive.
    Joining rooms with other people (div 1 guys) during the week allows you to spectate and check lines, gears etc.

I’m not going to lie either, in my absence from the game, I was religiously watching F4H Super GT on YouTube. Every day on the way to and from work on the train, id watch his videos and races. I learned so much from just watching him. I’d recommend following his channel (might not work for you, but it certainly did for me)

Keep at it mate.
  5. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Well what an interesting set of races that was.
    Practice
    In the week leading up to the race, I knew that I had to find some pace as I've never really been a fast racer. I'm better suited to the long haul runs, where strategy comes into play.
    Managed to get my lap time down to a nice 1.10.3 during races, consistently high 10, low 11. Felt pretty happy with that.
    Pre-race
    Hit a 1.10.4 so felt really good about my chances, although with @Kephin_07 around, I knew that my chances of a win were quite slim, unless he found some concrete or grass.

Qual
    Did OK, came in 3rd. Very close top order. Well bar Kev that is :)
    Did about as expected.

Race 1
    Went OK, too many little mistakes cost me a podium. Too little focus to push and keep it on the track. Came home in 4th.
    Race 2
    This was an eye opener. Started mid pack and took @Macca87AUS down the straight after he burnt some rubber.
    First corner, I get rear ended by @Kephin_07 into the far left side of the corner. He redressed, but I'm now 7th. Luckily it happened on lap 1, so I set myself the task of catchup.
    Managed to worm my way through the field to slip past @VARDZ on lap 7 into 2nd spot with quite a gap (~6s) to @Tristan Jones in first. Now I made it a goal to catch him, can't let Jonesy get an easy win like this.:D
    Over the next 6 laps, I reeled him in to get within the slip stream (.5s) difference.
    I tried all I could to get past him, inside on the 1st, 2nd, 3nd corners, better entry into that last corner and superior speed down the straight aided by slip. But to Jonesy credit, he managed to hold me at bay and crossed the winner of Race 2. Kudos dude!

Congrats to @Kephin_07 on the Sprint win.
    Kudos to @Tristan Jones and @VARDZ on their podium finishes.

See you all next week at the Retro round!!
    Tristan Jones, Noxrai, emmo46 and 2 others like this.
  6. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Set up an offline room for Red Bull ring, put on medium tires, turn on the driving line and corner markers. Then lap in a relaxed fashion and try different lines, braking points etc, the ghost car will show you if those things are better or worse. Overall just do as many laps as you can.
    LennonLegend1993 likes this.
  7. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Same.
    Noxrai likes this.
  8. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    [​IMG]
  9. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm not that ready to quit yet. I was pretty tired, in fact knackered, yesterday after a weekend of working in a hot shed (that I built myself over the Christmas break) installing insulation and lining it with plywood sheeting. Same with last weekend, on the third Sunday of every month you'll find me at the RAAF Museum in a harness up a tall ladder cleaning the display aircraft, it can be taxing on hot days.

And I should be wise enough at 50 to recall way back when I began fencing nearly 30 years ago what it was like as a beginner and how things peaked and troughed along the way. While I'm no longer at the peak of my powers I can more than hold my own - that's where I'd like to get to with this GTS thing. I got to my fencing level through hard work, practice and expert tuition and I think it's the tuition part I need now, then the practice.

@LennonLegend1993 yes I watch Super_GT, Kie25, Eeerieeess most day too. I've learnt quite a bit from them to date but clearly not enough.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Once you get closer to the point where you're not making the gains you are expecting, you need to start getting into greater detail.
    During mid-week practice I couldn't get into the 10s. Then I watched the different hot lap videos from the other div 1 guys (including @Kephin_07 :p )

I found it was quicker to red line the car in 5th on the main straight (unless in slipstream which was almost every lap lol). I found that the right hand kink before the final corner only required slight lift of the accelerator to turn it in, and my line of entry into the final turn was too late as the change from banking to flat unsettled the car too much.

That got me a PB in the 9s

It's the little things
    Tristan Jones and deedz_aus like this.
  11. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    So a PB in the 9's should be expected from D1 if not D2 drivers
  12. Jurassic Mark

Jurassic Mark Team Driver

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    I can put most of my driving issues down to lack of practice. I think I did like 6 laps earlier yesterday before logging on for the race. Was actually surprised some of my times werent actually THAT far off the pace (no where near 1:09s though).

Anyways, heres my race footage.

Race 1;

Race 2;
  13. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
  14. Kephin_07

Kephin_07 Rookie

PSN ID
    BiGkEv_87
    Thanks @Hatfield and thanks for the good racing, guys. Really enjoyed the last 2 weeks :D
  15. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    Awesome videos Mark!

I didn't realise you raced with in-car view - I love the idea of this, and the immersion...but when I try to practise like this I end up with slower times...and revert back to bumper came. Are you any faster with other views? When I'm grinding the Xbow @ BMB for cash, I use the in car view to add a bit of difficulty - though can be frustrating when you hit a car trying to squeeze through, losing the clean race bonus!

Your tyres were in great nick by the end of the race - mine were worn much further. You got some of your best times towards the end, getting into the 11s like most of us where. While being nice to your tyres is good, I think you lost a bit of time going in to that last corner too easy. Great for tyres, but not for times. You did great the lap you overtook Macca!

You don't use radar in race? You might have been able to avoid the rubbbing at the start of race 2 with it...perhaps not, but try it out. Just remember cars are closer than they appear in radar!

Good to see you are using TCS0...though have you tried 1 or 2, are you faster? I spent most of last season using 0, not even testing 1 or 2 due to misplaced pride. Then I forgot to turn it off after a grid start and it ended taking a second off my lap time...so I left it on in the following races!

You had some good battles with Macca there!
    Matthyus likes this.
  16. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    HUGE thanks to PAGNIAN for providing the prize of a new GTtrack Playstation edition valued at over $1000 !
    Remember you must race and complete 4 of the 7 rounds to be eligible for the PAGNIAN prize draw at seasons end.
    All information is here:
    https://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/x-platform-prize-draw-for-2019-1.3526/

ROUND 4 :
    Red Bull Ring - 28 laps - 9:45 Fine - 3/3 (Retro Round)
    [​IMG]

As always please take 2 mins to read the following so you have an understanding of what is expected on race night......If you have any questions, or want clarification on any of the rules or regs please ask !

ROOM OPEN : Most room captains will 'try' to have rooms open by about 7:50 AEDT. Please be on time, or let the room captain or div thread if you may be late. If all agree, the room may wait for you, Within reason. Please remember we have drivers from NZ, and later starts mean a much later night for them.
    QUALIFYING : 8:20 AEDT
    RACE START TIME : 8:30 AEDT

LAG ISSUES / ROOM RESTARTS : This is up to the room host. If there is a Disconnection (or cars stuck on grid) at race start, it is sporting to try to get them back in, which may mean a new room to be set up. I always look at 1 or 2 starts if required due to DSC, but as it gets later everyone needs to be aware of getting things going. Please be as reasonable as you can with this....
    SIGHT ISSUES: Ensure that you can see everyone on track. After qualifying, exit to lobby and spend 30 seconds in spectate mode, scroll through the list of drivers on track and make sure that you can see their car. If you can't see somebody (and they are confirmed as being on track), exit the lobby, re-join, and check again. It can also be done pre-qualifying to save time if there is no chance of latecomers.

FALSE START CHECK : Please note that the start type is Grid Start with False Start Check
    Please practice this so you know what to expect. Simply, you hold the brakes on until the lights go from all lit, to none lit

TURN 1 LAP 1 : This has the potential to ruin someones night if we don't use our heads ! Should be everyone's goal to get through the first phase with ZERO contact. Give room and run in your 'lane' till you have space to run the normal race line. If your unassisted tap causes someone to spin, you need to redress.

TRACK LIMITS : As we are running with 'track limit penalties" OFF, we will run with our usual Raceonoz track limit regulations. This means you MUST have at least 2 wheels on the ripple strip OR white line that defines the track limit. If you do make a mistake and have to run outside the limits, be aware that you are not allowed to gain any advantage.
    The ripple strip for this track is the red/white striped strip. The green/white strip is not considered ripple strip. Corners where illegal track extension can commonly occur are Castrol Edge, Remus, Rindt & Red Bull Mobile.

CONTACT : Is to be avoided at all times..... If you rear end someone and gain an advantage, YOU ARE EXPECTED to give the spot back. Side by side 'rubbing' is racing, within reason, but all drivers are expected to give racing room.
    If you bump someone and they end up off track or teleport back to the corner entry, you must wait for them to rejoin and get back up to speed.
    Show each other RESPECT! It is difficult enough to drive this car at the limit on your own, without someone squeezing you within a millimeter of the grass.
    So be patient and show respect to your fellow drivers

TYRES : You must start on the Racing Hard Tyre. After that, one other set, of other compound tyres is allowed. (no limit on the amount of RH tyres). If you run out of fuel/tyres even after making a pitstop, you can pit a second time, however if you have already used a different set of racing tyres other than Hard, then you would need to change back onto the Hards.

PIT ENTRY : Drivers MUST make an attempt to use the pit entry / exit lines.
    PIT EXIT : Please use the pit exit lane and be aware of cars approaching down the straight.
    NOTE: Pitting is NOT compulsory

BLUE FLAGS : Please observe blue flags, and move out of the way of faster cars if you are being lapped. Failure to observe blue flags WILL result in a penalty

STEWARDS GROUP AND RACE PROTESTS : This season the stewards will be will be @Hatfield @JonoStan96 @Viperzed & @emmo46. If you have reason to protest, please SAVE YOUR REPLAY, and then let us know via a PM.
    DO NOT BLOW UP IN THE FORUM OR IN THE ROOM CHAT. There have been multiple incidents where the replays from drivers have been different, so its true that sometimes things are not as black and white as they may seem. You have until MIDNIGHT, Monday night to register your protest via PM. We will ask for video evidence from both drivers or room captain to make any decision.

SAVE YOUR REPLAY : If the room host can ask all drivers to save their replay would be good before exiting the room.....once they exit out and the option goes, it cant be retrieved !

RETRO ROUND : Show up in your team/personal retro round livery! Can't wait to see the old look grid.

FINAL NOTE: Could all drivers please confirm their attendance for this Sunday by 'liking' this post in your division. If you are unable to attend, please post in reply as much in your division. This way we can figure out our reserves or if the room can start early in advance.
  17. Jurassic Mark

Jurassic Mark Team Driver

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    Honestly, I try to use the in car camera just to try and get the immersion factor. Now that I’m racing Karts, I’m looking for as realistic experience as possible. I also have a friend who has a mirage he races in the lemons racing and if I ever have enough money, I’ll be joining him for some races. (Big emphasis on the IF). So the more realistic the better. So that’s also the reason I go without TCS. I’m not too fussed being a bit off the pace if I’m getting some fairly realistic practice.

In regards to radar. I’ve only just started using the in car cam, so I haven’t figured out the full setup of what I can have where and where to actually look for everything. . I normally like to have the full map up but haven’t worked it out as of yet. I can put every bump at the start of race 2 down to nerves. I’m just not used to racing with others around just yet. When I’m in the kart, there’s no mirrors, so it’s really just a case of holding your line and the guy behind you needs to find his way past, and I’m very rarely in the kart for the start of a race. I certainly came across towards the apex way too hard on the first corner. Should’ve stayed in my lane around the outside knowing there’d potentially be some one on my inside. My gear shifts I think we’re way out too. Vaguely remember being on the rev limiter for the first few shifts.

And tire preservation isn’t actually anything I was working towards. I think it’s just my currently conservative style. I simply couldn’t get that last corner any better than I was. Was never comfortable over the bump in the lead up and couldn’t get my head around a quicker way through there. Noticed in the battles I did have, I could catch in the lead up, but struggled to have similar speed on the straight. If I’d actually done any decent practice, it might have been quicker through that section.
    Tristan Jones, Noxrai and Easyprey007 like this.
  18. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Welcome @Scottb_c to division 4.

Please make sure you add him to your friends lists
  19. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    I did notice you like to drive very smoothly. You would be ace in an endurance series
  20. LennonLegend1993

LennonLegend1993 Team Driver

I’d be your last pick for sure :p:p