IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    haha great chat.... perhaps the Riley could be the go for RoOz iLeague Season 2?
  2. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

You'd get no argument from me, Dave ... I do like that Riley :cool:

In all seriousness, Beau ... I won't get much track time this week, and I figure I'm prolly better to run around in the SM @ Sebring if I do get some laps :)

Anyone ever been round Sebring in the SM? From the little I have run Sebring, it seemed a pretty bumpy circuit to me, which could be tricky in the little SM ... and those high curbs in the complex after T1 might be tough too ... if fact, the combo smells like public server carnage to me ;)
  3. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    im just realising that the riley is a bucket of :):):):). it's a drift machine. I thought the ntm would have fixed this, but sideway is fast im finding.
    i think the new cts-v or whater it's called could make fun.
  4. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    all the car and track combos this week are :):):):)house i think
  5. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    nah I haven't turned a single lap at Sebring ever....

drift machine?! that sounds sweet as. defo car for season 2 then!
  6. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    drift machine as in. "you must be drifting to take corners fast" which is rubbish physics.
  7. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    "bucket of :):):):)" & ":):):):)house"...hmmm i could be wrong, but i think Beau is not liking something. lol
    Riley
    I never driven Barber before today, but i'm loven it...your sensing the car at a completely different
    level to me but i'm just happy to get it around the track in one piece!
  8. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Yes I'll confess, I don't like the Riley tyre model.

I thought the NTM was going in the way of realism, but it seems it is way off with the Riley. It has way too much grip, and needs way to much yaw angle to find the grip.
    At first, I thought it was great, but that was when I was putting around, oblivious to how slow I was going, and oblivious to these tyre issues. Now! it just feels wrong!, like i'm throwing it into corners as if it were NFS Hot pursuit!.

I will push on however.
  9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Surely the balance of the Riley will always be unlike any other car in iRacing regardless of tyre model. Not saying you're wrong or right, just food for thought.
  10. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

What attracted me to the Riley in the first place was how simple it seemed ... now ... just how realistic that simplicity is, is a topic I know nothing about. All the inputs and feedbacks are progressive and easy to understand, and I found that attempting to be super-smooth worked best for me. But, I can well imagine that there's an area of grip that I'm not exploiting (goes without saying if I'm lapping seconds slower!) ... a limit that Beau is pushing, that I am not ... and perhaps the car behaves very differently at that threshold.
  11. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Indeed the behaviour of the car changes in a big way.
    I might make a short vid of a lap around barber.
  12. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    [video]youtube.com/watch?v=DcC9oIj90P0&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

It's a fun enough car. I just feels wrong for a sim though. too much grip for such a big tank, with very little aero.
  13. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Work net-filter blues ...
  14. WAC

PSN ID
    same here...all i get is a empty box - will check it out at home tonight.
    As for the SM at Sebring - yeeha! would be interested to know if anybody has
    buzzed the tower yet?
  15. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Great vid Beau.
    That's looks close to how you had to drive grand-prix legends, drift into corner entry, stabilise with throttle; symptomatic of a rear engine setup. It certainly does look like youcan/need to chuck it into the corner overly agressively. But at 1034kg it might not be such a big tank after all, especially considering it's got pretty big feet on a wide chassis.

I did a skin for the Riley last night, my first one. Spent about 2.5hrs on it, then stupid GIMP corrupted the file. I saved (as .psd), then when it tried to open again error message was "incompatible compression mode" - WTF? How can GIMP save in an incompatible compression mode?! Anyway top tip to avoid issues with loosing work in GIMP - use the native .XCF format for your working designs. I remade the skin, just have to chuck in on the car and see what needs tidying up. Got a few sweet ideas for some of the other cars too.
  16. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    If all goes smoothly, I won't be around for season 2 anyway. Well at least not for every round.
    So at the end of the day, I don't really care what car we use. Although I do think there are much better options, especially when trying to accommodate less experienced iRacers into the series.

Some suggestions.

[img=Late Model]http://127.0.0.1:32034/car.png?dirpath=latemodel&size=1&pat=11&lic=0153db&colors=000000,654700,fef785&sponsors=0,0&numfont=0&numcolors=000000,ffef26,000000&club=34&car_number=26[/img]
    [img=Mazda Cup or Roadster]http://127.0.0.1:32034/car.png?dirpath=mx5\roadster&size=1&pat=8&lic=0153db&colors=004701,ffffff,c6b800&sponsors=11,0&numfont=0&numcolors=000000,000000,000000&club=34&car_number=26[/img]
    [img=Street Stock]http://127.0.0.1:32034/car.png?dirpath=streetstock&size=1&pat=16&lic=0153db&colors=ffffff,006501,c6b800&sponsors=0,7&numfont=0&numcolors=006501,ffffff,000000&club=34&car_number=99[/img]

Or..The CTS-V when it is released next season?
  17. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Haven't driven the Late Model or the Street Stock, but I'm behind anything that helps folk have fun.
  18. WAC

PSN ID
    one week is a long time in sim racing!
    last week i was on a high of good racing and almost good finishes, but the points were headed in the right direction.
    SM race this morning started 9th, buzzed 2 spots off the line, Two laps further on and i had slotted into 4th but came in too fast to T1 and slid off track spinning thru the grass, just missed the wall and thought i was safe to re enter the track...nah! Hit by a turd missile!...seriously the guy ran 200mtrs
    thru the grass to get to me,,,ahhhh :):):):)!
  19. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

There seems to be more than a little heartache going around atm ... and I've been trying to figure out why ... and just maybe ...

I don't remember there being nearly so much car-contact in my first couple of seasons, as there seems to be now. Having the NTM hit a whole bunch of cars at the same time has made many Classes more attractive, and folk are dipping in and out of cars, looking for something they like. That's fine if you're a Beau Cubis ... but not clearly not everyone is as quick a study. The SRF was so unpopular when I drove it, and many of the peddlers were fanatical about it ... a bit like the V8s have always been ... and that meant almost everyone knew what they were doing ... but the NTM has folk car-hopping and perhaps just not invested enough to be competent before they hit the track ...

... there was a 'club' feel to every series run ... the same faces ... but there's been an explosion ... people buying NTM content and trying it out, perhaps ...

... it will calm down when the rate of major updates slows - a little hiatus will see the cliques start to reform, and racers will settle down to what they like ... and the competency will lift.

... I hope :)

Feel for you, Wayne ... but you bounce back pretty good these days ... escaping the clutches of the lower split was way tougher than this ... on yer, mate :)
  20. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    First f1 race was great. Started 7th, got a good launch. Negated by some muppet who decided to bump into my right rear wheel down the front straight.
    Then I ran up the back of some "hot lapper" who was driving like an old women through the first few turns.

Once again, I have over estimated the ability and professionalism of the racers around me. I thought these f1 racers would have been able to hold there nerves a bit better. This guy was tippy toeing like an old bat. I'll try again next saturday at suzuka. See if i can wipe out another cyber nerd.