IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JamieFookes88

JamieFookes88 Jamie Fookes

PSN ID
    JLF131188 J. Fookes (GT6)
    ASUS ATI HD 6950 user here. Only notice stutters after running iRacing for about 4 hours (heat gets high around than)
  2. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    The weather the way it's been lately doesn't help either, I actually had to watercool my graphics card recently to avoid overheating, the way my case fans were set up was perfect for CPU cooling, unfortunately when I installed the GTX 690, with it's cooler blowing hot air into my case instead of just exhausting out the back like my old 5970, everything started getting too hot, plus the GPU was pushing hot air straight at the front intake fan on my case which usually feeds the cool air to the CPU cooler, so I had hot air going through my CPU cooler as well as the ability of the 690's cooler to exhaust hot air out the front being hindered by my front case intake fan, result, hotter than usual CPU and an overheating core on the 690.

Hundreds of $ later and everything is running cooler and quieter than ever, haha, watercooling is expensive but very effective, especially if you're in a warm climate or do a bit of overclocking.
  3. basilenco

basilenco Rookie

I was actually looking at watercooling just because it gets way too hot with the fans blowing out such hot air and no aircon in the room. Can you suggest any good brands or setups? I don't really have a clue what I am looking at with that stuff.

Looks like I'm one of the few that has nvidia around here :p
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Can I suggest/request that if you guys continue this discussion, you do so in the PC Building & Specs thread, or create a new thread for water cooling under the Race Equipment section, please.

Just makes it that much easier for others to reference later down the track. Cheers. ;)
  5. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    ah KoAStR had my race last night bit the bullet and tried but spent more time in the pits than on the track haha need more practice
    kept spinning out on corners
    was a track i have had no practice on in the nyviada cup
  6. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Bad idea racing without practice.
  7. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Sorry Koastr, last post on this mate.

Basilenco, if anything mate, watercooling will make your room even warmer, obviously the water carries the heat in a waterloop right? Once that water passes through the radiator, the attached fan's blow air over the radiators fins and thus sap the heat from the water and disperse it into the air, it's much more efficient than straight-up air cooled systems, thus your pc will more than likely disperse even more of the heat it generates into your room increasing ambient temperature along the way.

Think of it this way, if you set up a waterloop, your pc will run cooler, that heat has to end up somewhere, right? The answer, your room. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate.
  8. colin-50_

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    sorry i missed you last nite KoAStR had a race spent most of time in pits
  9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    it's all good mate. I didn't end up making it on, got home late(ish) and wasn't feeling too great so just layed back. should be on over the weekend sometime.
  10. M1K1_D

M1K1_D Miki D

I'm kicking my self for forgetting a real important feature of iRacing. The clutch. I started my first race in maybe 6 months and forgot that the race starts in neutral. Then in a panic hit gears only to go to 2nd then wildly hit downshift to reverse. Big DOH! Poor B class guy behind me just gets the rear quarter panel. While I apologize,in pit for repairs, the other guy patiently waits in my blind spot for me to leave pits so he can ram me into the wall. He rage quits and I limp it home.
    I start again 1 hour later and bingo, he's in it too. The race begins and I make an average start but find him on my outside of turn 1. I gave him room and he got good drive out of the corner so he's in front. I follow him for about 10 laps before making my cautious move. Gapped him by 5 seconds at the end, expecting a divebomb every corner while we were close. Glad he got it out of his system in race 1.
  11. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

He just a tool by the looks of it, if some one doesn't move off the line it's obviously a mistake and doesnt deserve any aggressive revenge Sh*t. Glad he had cooled down and even gladder you got to show him you can drive and kicked his butt.
  12. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

13. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Nice. I just caught the last couple of laps as everyone ran out of fuel crossing the line.. one or two guys, out of fuel themselves, managed to pick up a position from guys who ran out moments before with less momentum down the final straight. pretty exciting.

Man, as if this series wasn't competitive enough, the fuel saving aspect makes it even harder to break into for folks like me with only a handful of v8 races under the belt.

Looks like Muggo had a good run, really putting the pressure on Hamstead through the final turns.
  14. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Yer was a great race early on too, Mitch and Scott (real v8 driver this year) had a great battle that ended in tears for both, nothing much in it but iracing doesn't account for little bump and rub the real v8's can handle. I run with Nick rainbird a bit and he dropped a few spots right at the end.
  15. colin-50_

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    had my first race last night early in the CARBORETER CUP against the americans
    30 in the field and finished 7th i was quite pleased with myself
    because they pushed me off the track twice and still managed 7th
  16. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Good job mate, hope to get on some time this week, gave Dragula her maiden voyage the other night ;)
  17. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    good job colin
  18. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Just some noobie questions :p

What have people mapped their G27 wheel and shifter buttons to?

And what is a good starting point for functions for me to map to my G27?

Have a label maker at work and would like to start making some up ready to map my buttons, but just not sure what functions I should be using. Will probably use masking tape and texta until I get all the buttons sorted.

Obvious would be Pits/Tow, look left/right, pit limiter, what else???

I will be on some time this week, just been crazy busy, good to get to work for a break ;)

While I am on, who would be the best person to guide me with my graphics settings in game and AMD panel?
  19. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    When I was using the g27 I mapped these functions to the 6 buttons on the wheel.
    Look left
    Look right
    Push to talk teamspeak
    Pit lane speed limiter
    Cycle black boxes
    Cycle split delta.

As for the shifter. I used it for brake bias and enter/exit/tow car. Plus a few others.
  20. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Good work Colin!

@Clevo
    I've got the G25 so only have look left and right on the wheel but have a load of other buttons mapped on the shifter cluster:

In the diamond pattern buttons:
    Top: Push to talk iRacing
    Left: In car adjust - decrease (for ARB's, pitstop adjustments and FFB)
    Right: In car adjust - increase
    Bottom: In car adjust select (for [un]checking tyres and fuel before pitting)

I use the D-pad left/right to cycle black boxes, and up/down to navigate to adjustments within a box

In the row of red buttons left to right:
    Enter/exit/pit/tow
    Adjust brake-bias - decrease
    Adjust brake-bias - increase
    Pit lane speed limiter

Shouldn't have to do much in your AMD panel. I can help with you in-game graphics if I'm on. I've got the AMD HD6970 (2GB) and it blitz's iRacing on full everything. So if your cards similar there won't be much to do but turn it all up! There's presets for reduced settings but I would start with reducing track detail if you want to customise it.