Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    How do I test ping?
  2. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    This will test your speed and ping to a nearby server (which will give you an indication of your setup)...however this won't actually tell you your ping to the actual PSN servers.

If we knew the IP address of the PSN servers you would be able to ping it from a PC using the Cmd tool, but I haven't been able to find any published IP addresses for their servers, or where they are actually physically located.
    I am suspecting the servers we connect to are in Europe somewhere (hence why in GT6 in the main lobby there is a Region "Australia/Europe" option. If this is the case then this may change what you see from doing the speedtest.net test.
  3. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    The point was that if you have similar speeds on your ps3/PC then it's probably not the copper line ;)
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  4. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    26ms ping, download 11.52mbps, upload 0.85mbps. Doesn't seem to be any issue there then.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  5. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Not bad, what server did you connect to?
    You can choose what server you connect to, all over the world.....by default it picks a local one to you with the best ping.
    I'm in Melbourne and just did a few tests from work (here in the Melb CBD).
    To Melb server:
    1ms ping - 48Mbps down - 47Mbps up

Then I tried doing a test to a server in Sydney:
    15ms ping - 48Mbps down - 48 Mbps up
    Then I tried a server in the UK (Manchester):
    329ms ping - 15.6Mbps down - 9.9Mbps up

A BIG difference in going overseas...
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  6. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    ok so im in the same boat as jamie. Just did a speed test and got a ping of 32ms download of 18+ and upload of .85. that was to a brisbane server. BUGGER OFF LAG!!!!!!
  7. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    32ms is fine TB. From what i'm led to believe anything over 100+ ms may start to cause issues for online gaming.
  8. t_b_williams

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    So where is my lag coming from. everything says it should not be there.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  9. t_b_williams

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Upload speed could do with being higher.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  10. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    32ms to your local server is one thing....I wonder what the ping is between your PS3 and the PSN servers (which I suspect are overseas)....????
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  11. t_b_williams

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Thats the million dollar question.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  12. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Call your provider,you can & physically have to request this as it has to be done on their control system computer,it's just a matter of a couple of tweaks and it's done.If you ask them they can also do a few tweaks to help the stability,without sacrificing any speed or costing money,so that would be my first point of call before spending any more money.
    Just to clarify,when talking ping, you normally quote the number attained when tested to your nearest capital city,but when dealing with a particular website/Game Platform,etc,you should quote the number to their server,e.g For i-racing i get a few different pings depending on whether i'm in an Aussie,Netherlands or USA lobby server.There's no point hassling them to get your ping to the US down to the aussie level cause it will always be impossible no matter how fast the internet gets,at least until we invent time travel anyway!LOL :p
  13. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    I think it might be more to do with an inconsistent download/upload speed.If you go to one of the game/movie download sites ,(Mobogenie,livid,etc) they normally have download transfer rate meter on them.Don't be alarmed if you see only 750-850Kbps,as transfer rate is calculated differently.Just download something for it to run.You'll be able to see what's going on.It always fluctuates a bit,maybe +/- 100kbps maybe 150 but not much more.What you're looking for is big jumps up & down,like 750--210--640--120--820--365,etc.
    I've also found out that you'd be surprised how easily the lead from the wall plug to the modem/router can crap itself,especially if it's the cheapo lead that comes with the router.All it takes is a lightning strike within 5km of you(Those ones that the thunder is so loud it makes you flinch/jump,if you can smell that lightning smell,throw your lead in the bin,it would be fried,guaranteed),between you & the exchange,or a power surge to the router,or pinching it under a heavy object,and it only takes once! The copper wire is not heavy duty like an electrical extension cord, and as such is fairly delicate,so that it doesn't have too much resistance for the low voltage used in phone lines,otherwise your signal would disappear before it got to the exchange!;)
    Stumbles likes this.
  14. t_b_williams

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    I think I just managed to get the PS3 in the DMZ of my router. Thank goodness this time I called Telstra I was speaking to a fellow gamer, albeit an Xbox user. But at least he knew what I was on about. Apparently the upload wont cause the lag, its the latency of the room. He opened up my router and took me as far as he was allowed as far as the DMZ was concerned as he wast properly 'trained/qualified' to make those changes as it can open up a can of worms security wise if done wrong. Hopefully I didn't do it wrong. Lol. Will have to test it out one night before Motegie.
  15. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    On the walk home from school, I noticed that workers have begun work on installing optic fibre on Erskine Park Road (which my house backs on to), so fingers crossed things will progress quickly!
    DekGT5mad and Ad2mny like this.
  16. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Would you guys like to share how much speed you get on download/ upload?
    The page I use is www.speedtest.net

Just curious if speed is not so much the factor for the guys experiencing lag. I just got ADSL and is terribly slow (had cable before in Sydney):
    4Mb upload/0.8 Upload
    Had at least 15/8 before and zero lag :(

Edit: seems I came in late to this conversation lol
    JonoStan96 and t_b_williams like this.
  17. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Uh-oh...
    image.jpg
  18. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Is that your phone though N64?
  19. t_b_williams

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Just did a speed test on my phone and via a Japanese server got a ping of 188ms download 6.7mbps and up of 5.4mbps. upload is over 500% better than my home service to a brisbane server. Download is less than half though.
  20. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Thats a horrible ping.