Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    We had 16 in the ANZGT VS ROOZ race last week, 3 drop outs but that was a good 30 mins into the race
  2. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Just ordered a 20m cat5 from ebay. Will let you know it if helps at all. Bloody well hope it does. Next step, new modem. The one I've got isn't that old, even if it is from telstra. More $$$$ I suppose.
    DekGT5mad and FloodSim like this.
  3. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Same here tb, but the talk here says it's crap lol.
  4. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!
  5. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Have a look at the new ASUS AC1200-1900 gigabit range,the netgear nighthawk(AC1900 gigabit),and Draytek.All of these with wired connect will keep you at full speed whether your mrs is on her i-pad or not,& if you have to connect wireless,you use the 5Ghz channel,with your mrs on the 2.4Ghz. With an AC1900,the 5Ghz gets 1300Mbps transfer(not download/upload)rate & the 2.4Ghz gets 600.
    AC1750,1200,etc get similar ratio's.:)
    Any similar ones of various brands are good,but those have the best reviews i've been able to find,but beware of the Belkin's & TP-link,lot's of tales of woe on forums,believe me,i've spent all day checking for everyone with probs and would only add a couple of the Billion models,but they are more expensive for less features than the above.
    Good Luck Ad!!!:)
  6. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    The ASUS AC1200 is certainly the AC modem to go for, but I'm not convinced you need an AC modem/router to play online games/GT6.
    Wireless N should easily be enough to cater for "most" peoples needs (and will be cheaper).
    I am running a TP-Link W8980 Wireless N Dual-band modem/router and am yet to have an issue with it ($99 well spent IMO), but the ASUS is the AC router to go for (@ around $280).

Also, the PS3 only connects by 2.4 Ghz, so it wouldn't be able to connect to the 5 Ghz band - so a dual band router won't necessarily help you (unless others in your house are using 5Ghz capable devices iPad/iPod etc, which could connect to that band and leave the 2.4 Ghz band purely for the PS3). The downside to 5ghz is the range doesn't reach anywhere near as far as 2.4 Ghz.

For anyone who is connecting wirelessly in their home it is a good idea to download this free app (inSSIDer) and run it on a laptop.
    Link --> http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

This app searches the wireless signals in your vicinity and (importantly) tells you which channel they are running on.
    If your modem/router is set to the same or adjacent channel to one close by, you may be getting interference and this may be slowing your wireless connection from your devices to your router.
    By using this app you can see what channels might not be getting used in your area and then you simply go into your router setup and change to that channel. Certainly worth checking out - not only for PS3 use but for all your wireless use in your home.
    DekGT5mad and Stumbles like this.
  7. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    Re: all this talk about WiFi routers
    At the end of the day, you could have the top of the line most expensive WiFi router out there, but it can't guarantee you'll get a smooth connection for online gaming.
    Sure you can get some good throughput with wireless-N hardware, which is ultimately useless as the PS3 doesn't support wireless-N anyway. The issue isn't the speed of data transfer over wireless; it's the latency and fact that WiFi by its nature is very susceptible to interference.
    There are sources of RF interference everywhere, and it's impossible to eliminate them all. The microwave in your kitchen and cordless phones are big ones, fluro lights and other electrical equipment are others. Even your PS3 controller is a potential source of interference as it runs on Bluetooth.
    A quick example of WiFi traffic: your PS3 will send out some data to your router about where your car might be on the track, if the whole packet of data doesn't make it to the router, or the PS3 doesn't get a signal back from the router saying it correctly received the packet, the PS3 will wait and try to send the packet again. Keep in mind the PS3 will be sending on-track data hundreds of times a second. If that data gets delayed for whatever reason (i.e. interference from something has messed with the wifi radio waves), that's where you'll get a lag.
    To everyone else it looks like your car is darting around on track, or in worse cases you'll get lag-punted; and we all know what that's like. It's because the game might suddenly get all this delayed data about a cars position and it probably doesn't handle it very smartly, hence you see a car jumping all over the track at 1000km/h.
    Racing games need that reliable, constant stream of position data because we could be side-by-side in a corner. It's less important on shooters for example because you won't always be seeing the other players so their precise position is less important except for when it's calculating bullet travel and hit detection.
    Setting your WiFi channel differently *might* help, but it's by no means a solution for Wifi interference.
    For online gaming, even the most expensive WiFi router won't be as good as a cheap router with a wired connection.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  8. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    Anyone running wireless really needs to consider how they can make their PS3 connection wired.
    You can easily get a 20-30m length of cat5 cable from ebay or a local computer shop. That should be long enough for any house and you really only need to have it plugged in on race nights.
    If you're still having problems on wired, only then should you think about new hardware or contacting your ISP.
    DekGT5mad and Clevohead like this.
  9. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Well said Flood, this is exactly what I have been trying to say for ages, you only need a $20 cable to sort the majority of your issues out, as opposed to spending upwards of $100 on wifi routers. The CAT5 only has to be run through the house on race nights for a few hours at the least, (don't be a lazy bugger and pack it up when ya done, happy wife/parents = happy life) and use you wifi for your other less crucial games, or practice etc...

And N64 this is what everyone is talking about with the power adapters: http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wired/Ethernet_Over_Power/40558-TL-PA211-KIT

I used the following kit to get network into my sister's rumpus/games room which is 50+m from her house, she is using a T-Box in the rumpus with no streaming issues at all, it is performing just as well as it did plugged directly into the router in the house.
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1348&products_id=21912
    carn_the_pies likes this.
  10. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I'm running wired, got a 10 metre cable to the router. That didn't help so updated the router. Still having issues. I still need a wifi router but like I said that's not what I'm running for the ps3. Are the cat5 cords color coded? Mines blue. The one to the computer is yellow. I would like to try get my ps3 running through the DMZ before forking out near 2 large for a new router. Hopefully with no firewall and port forwarding it will run better. Just gotta work it out.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  11. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Apologies,everything i saw about wireless didn't mention PS3 not having 5Ghz wireless,but it definitely has wireless N capability as i used to wirelessly connect to my N300 router for my mrs to watch youtube & Vidzone,while i was i-racing.The point of the decent wireless ones was for ppl like N64 who's parents find a cable,even temporarily "UNACCEPTABLE". The routers mentioned are all Gigabit routers,with good wireless. In Ad's case his Mrs won't put her i'pad down while he races,so unless he goes for a router that will provide Full speed to all parties connected,she will not be happy.How long do you think she's gonna put up with being 2nd in queue & video's stalling all the time? DMZ will improve your connection Ad,but at the expense of your Mrs.Remember,Happy wife,Happy Life!lol The point was more that in those situations a Quality Gigabit router is what is required,with a fixed connection that supplies fullspeed to all parties.On CAT colours,No they aren't colour coded Ad,normally the CAT is printed on them,along with temp rating and other gobbledygook.I've got a blue & a yellow CAT 5 that came with different units,i think i've even got a white one somewhere as well.The only real difference for our application is how long they will last.On the interference with wireless,you're absolutely right,all those and more including speakers,especially subs can cause interference.An old cathode ray TV i had in the bedroom used to make me dsc every time the menu button on the remote was pressed! Itall get's back to one thing.If you want as few issues as possible you need a quality router with wired connection if you can't have sole usage. QOS makes a huge difference,but DMZ will only allocate consistant service to one person at expense of others,so if others won't be considerate and get offline for a couple of hours on a sunday night only,a better router is needed.I didn't bother with links as you could fill 100 pages with links,depending on the individual router,ppl know what they have so they probably would've looked regarding theirs already. so was just trying to help with some CORRECT choices for the intended application.
    In the end you can play with functions as much as you want,but if the unit is not up to the task,that's all there is to it,just like a holden Barina can't tow a 30ft boat! Anyway i've done my best so it's over to those with probs,one migraine from hours trolling the net is enough!LOL;)
    DoogleDave likes this.
  12. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Well said Dek, and I agree.
    Cable connection to the router is by far the best option.
    If this is not possible I'd seriously contemplate the EOP option. Not as good as direct cable but better than wireless.
    Otherwise what has been written above in this thread on wireless may help someone who for whatever reason needs (or chooses) to use a wireless connection.

At the end of the day this is only one part of the equation anyway. Your phone line quality and route to the various PSN servers will also through compromises into the mix so the equipment you're using may be fine but if your line isn't great and/or you are getting crap latency to the servers then you'll still likely experience some issues.

As my old boss used to say, you can only control the controllable :)
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  13. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    What issues are you still having Ad?
    If your Mrs. is still using the ipad while you're racing and your internet connection doesn't have much bandwidth then that could definately cause you lag problems due to the internet connection not being able to transfer the data fast enough. This is more likely to be the problem rather than your router hardware.

The blue one will be a regular patch cable. The yellow one is most likely a crossover cable usually used for connecting two computers together, but these days it doesn't matter too much especially if it's gigabit ethernet as the network cards will have auto-switching capability.

DMZ isn't a solve-all either. The purpose of a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) is to separate traffic to that address from the internal network, hence avoiding firewalls and port-forwarding.
    Personally I have never been able to get the PS3 to work properly having it in a DMZ.
    Check to see if your router supports UPnP (Universal Plug and Play); this is what I use. Turning this on should allow any ports to be opened as required by the device without you having to fiddle around with it.
    DekGT5mad and Clevohead like this.
  14. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    I think what you'll find is that your wireless-N router is either dual-band, or is running in mixed-mode.
    Dual-band is where it can broadcast both N and G networks at the same time.
    Mixed-mode is where the wireless signal can be time-split between G and N to allow each device to operate at it's native maximum.
    Wireless-N is backwards compatible with wireless-G devices. The PS3 will still only be operating at wireless-G speeds (it doesn't have the wireless-N hardware in it!) but this won't matter for online gaming. Games only use a fraction of the available wireless bandwidth; file transfer or streaming is the only thing that will run a wireless network at its maximum.

Different routers will probably implement DMZ differently, but that's not my understanding of it. QOS and DMZ aren't related. Happy to be proven wrong though.
    Clevohead and DekGT5mad like this.
  15. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Good to know about the wireless,(even though i don't use it,lol). QOS is a seperate function to DMZ & is simply a setting to maintain Quality Of Service.DHCP,i believe from what i've read is all about maintaining priority for the use requiring the most bandwidth(Gaming),by setting the various connected devices priority.DMZ is for allowing ONE device to bypass the firewall & all others to go thru it.
    Here's a good article explaining all this,although it is skewed towards Linksys products: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/hardwarenetworkgear/l/aa121700b.htm
    I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong,just help those with constant issues,like Ad & Turbo,who seem to be struggling to work it out.
    I will always put my hand up if i am wrong,but like most red blooded aussie males,will push my view if i believe i am right!lol;) So please don't anyone take offence to anything i've said,it's not meant that way,but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind:oops::rolleyes::) e.g "In Ad's case his Mrs won't put her i'pad down while he races".Had that point not been made clear,Ad might have been chasing his tail for weeks!
    I hope all can sort the issues in other div's as in div 4 it looks like we occasionally might have to look for a bit of lag only from turbo,which seems to be an unfixable issue for him due to phoneline length,but only seems to rear it's ugly head occasionally now,compared to last season,when at Rome he unknowingly took out about 5 or 6 ppl to varying degrees,until Clevo paused & told him as he couldn't drive due to FULL damage,at which point he pulled over & got dsc'd,have a look in the ROOZ News for that round,i put in a cool pic of him flying thru the air at catch fence height!:D:D:D:D"He flies thru the air,with the greatest of ease,that daring young man,in a Citroen GT"LOL:):):):):):):):):):):):):)Sorry,showing my age that i remember that tune!LMFAO:p:D
  16. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    WHAT IS YOUR PING? It might be an idea to have the host & Back-up,as the people with the lowest ping,& can run their ADSL profile on the closest setting to low latency without upsetting their stability?
  17. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Is the "upgraded" Telstra router running on the preconfigured settings? If so,there's the bulk of your problem,most ISP supplied routers come configured to make all connections about the same,unless it's a Gigabit type router,which i'm pretty sure it's not.The linework for the NBN shouldn't be affecting you as the lines they are pulling down off the poles are the original Optus/Foxtel lines put up in the early nineties all over australia,for when paytv first arrived & which have been disused for a few years now with the failed Galaxy/Austar dish network being bought out by Foxtel & upgraded for them to use solely,some of the older members might remember all the fanfare back then,even being changed later to the dish on your roof connection for PayTV,i remember friends not being happy at the time as they'd paid for the fixed connection & compatible box,only to be slugged again for a new box & dish a few years later!
    If your new router won't play ball no matter what you do,you can get out of your contract on the grounds of unfit for purpose/unstable. At that point they'll probably give you a top of the line router just to keep you. If you can get out of it with no penalties,i highly recommend Internode. Their call centre's are in Adelaide & NZ,open from 8am to 12am(midnight)so you can get service after business hours.There's no Indian numskulls that know nothing except how to read off script pages,(sorry to any Indian members,but even you guy's would have to agree about their call centres),all staff know about the routers they supply (you do have to buy but then they're yours) & will happily guide you thru everything to set them up for your intended use,&explain the ADSL profile system,plus they have good value plans,I pay $59.95 for 150 Gb Naked Broadband i.e. NO PHONE,so no need for Splitter filter,& If you reach that limit(I never have & mrs is on laptop with Facebook & downloading,streaming music & video,all day most days,plus me i-racing)you only get slowed to 256k,which is still enough for GT5 & 6,plus you get an allowance for dial-up BBand in the event of internet issues in your area causing no service. A great thing as well is that they use PPPoE,so easy to configure!
    Good luck mate,and remember the "ombudsman" word makes them jump!How high?As high as it takes to sort your issue.Nearly all the telco's are on notice from his office,so they don't want people calling him,actually her at the moment.
    Honestly Ad,with how long your issues have been going on,i'd seriously consider that option to get some headway.They might even send a technician out to fix it for ya,and show you how to do it yourself,just stand your ground,"It's fixed or it's the ombudsman",while still being polite.Maybe write down what you want so they can't side track you.
    Telstra do even refund & cut you loose if you push,i had them refund $2864.32 & wipe a 2yr mobile contract when they sold me a deal of two samsung Z501 3G phones,with video calling & internet,when Darwin only had 2G service.The phones were preconfigured & were trying to connect to the net every 10 secs via GPRS(which costs heaps)chewing our $49 caps in the first 2 days,which we didn't know until 1st months bill & had no video calling either. Just goes to show you can win against them,it only took for their legal team to listen to the tape recording of the coldcall salesman's spiel,only took about a week as i hassled them every day,& suddenly i got a call to return the phones to a telstra shop in darwin,& that my refund was in the bank.I checked & bugger me it was!
    Anyway good luck mate.Maybe If a friend has a router that serves them well,see if you can get them to try it at your place to deduce if it's the router or lines.Or if you want i have a wireless "G" router,which is fine wired,but slow wireless,that i can send you to try & if works well it's all yours,otherwise throw it to the salvo's or something!;););)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  18. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    On Sunday nights, the internet is all mine, but I have been DSC'd still, even with the new router. I was led to believe the DMZ was better as it bypasses the firewall so less screening, less lag? Also the router supports UPnP and the internet test on the ps3 says it's available. Does it need to be configured or should it just work if available?
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  19. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    I'd say you have to turn it on,also look for the QOS at the sane time
  20. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    DMZ will help as your firewall may be taking packets of data out,all you can do is give it a bash mate.Good to see you've got sole usage,but also try turning the wireles off alltogether while racing,it's just extra for the router to do