PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Clevohead likes this.
  2. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    New gtx 760 Oc for $280 or 2nd hand with warranty gtx 770 oc for $250 ?
    Been watching a few on fleabay and there are a few around at that price but am a bit apprehensive about buying a 2nd had gpu but the value is very good. Thoughts ? :)
  3. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    just placed my order for the new gaming PC :) the price went a bit over budget but hopefully I wont need to add anything for a while. really looking forward to a new type of sim racing with hopefully some eye melting graphics :):):) .
    here is what I ended up with. please let me know if I f'd anything up so I can change the order before dispatch.
    [​IMG]CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO Case In stock $125.00
    [​IMG]Intel Core i5 4690K In stock $289.00
    [​IMG]Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 3 Motherboard In stock $179.00
    [​IMG]Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB In stock $519.00
    [​IMG]Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A1600C9R 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 In stock $119.00
    [​IMG]Crucial MX100 256GB SSD In stock $139.00
    [​IMG]CoolerMaster V650S 80 Plus Gold 650W Power Supply In stock $125.00
    [​IMG]Pioneer BDR-209EBK BDXL 15x Blu-Ray Writer Black In stock $99.00
    [​IMG]CoolerMaster Hyper D92 CPU Cooler In stock $59.00
    [​IMG]Gigabyte KM7580 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Black In stock $22.00
    Sub-Total: $1675.00
  4. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    I can confirm the video card is top notch. Ask Serge how good Spa looks on three screens!!

I don't know anything about the rest of it though. Look forward to seeing you in PC land soon my friend!!
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  5. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    I watched the vid you put up after getting your 970 and you sounded so impressed that it became a must have in my build :)
    Anon666 likes this.
  6. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Nice build Cyber. The PSU seems a touch small @ 650W but if you find you're having issues it's easy to replace down the track.

The 970 will breeze playing AC.

Hopefully Kunos can bring out a fix for the online server issue soon so we can resume some racing again....

Oh BTW, a BluRay writer???? I didn't think anyone uses them anymore LOL :eek: :laugh:
  7. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    the gtx 970 recomends a 550w power supply so I thought 650w would be ok ? I plan to upgrade it anyway if/when I sli the 970.
    I'm getting the br drive as a Christmas prezzy and it was only $15 more than the player so I thought why not lol
  8. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. 650W should be fine if you look to add more stuff to the PC down the track (especially a 2nd GPU) it might be touch and go.

The 970 should use around 300W at load and the CPU 88W so those two alone will hit the 400W mark.

Hard drives, Bluray drive, fans, memory, USB ports, motherboard etc will also suck up some power, but won't get to 650W (though you don't want your PSU running at full load anyway).

Unless you're running triple monitors or want to run a huge resolution at very high frame rates, you will likely find that one GTX970 is enough from what you need - it is one very powerful GPU!

Ah, the fun of building a new PC (I love it)....almost better than actually using it after it has been built :thumbsup:
  9. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    I've really enjoyed doing the research for this pc build and I think it makes the whole gaming experience all the more satisfying, as a mechanical engineer by trade building things is what I do but the whole pc thing seems a bit alien to me lol. I cant wait to assemble it but once that's done you guys are probably going to hear some pretty noobish questions especially when it comes to add ons, skins, track mods etc lol
  10. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Bring it on mate - no such thing as a silly noobish question.
    Tovey and AJ are forever posting info about new tracks, cars and skins for AC so I don't think that will be a problem for you.

A great thing they did with PC gear is build it so most things only fit one way.
    Though I did have a work colleague a few years ago ask me to help build his new HTPC with him (at work), so I started off by going to the kitchen to grab a coffee first (the most important tool), and when I returned he had the look of horror on his face after he decided he couldn't wait for me to return so he'd tried to fit the CPU onto the motherboard (around the wrong way), bending a couple of the pins in the process.

Thankfully I was able to use the writing end of a pacer pencil (with lead removed) to bend the pin back into shape (VERY carefully) and seat it into the socket....and it worked perfectly. He then decided he didn't want to stuff anything else up so let me build the remainder whilst he watched on.

It is a great feeling the first time the PC fires up and (hopefully), everything works.
  11. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Cool looking case, what dimensions is that?
  12. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Don't worry just found them :)
    [​IMG]
  13. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    look what showed up in the mail today :)
    [​IMG]
    KoAStR, Clevohead and Anon666 like this.
  14. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    got it all together, cool little project. I just hope it works now lol, fingers +toes crossed :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
  16. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
  17. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    That looks so much cooler than my PC, and without wires everywhere. So, did it turn on?? If so, how much fun is loading all that software...so many Windows updates. Let us know when it's up and running man, we'll pop your cherry at Spa in some GT3's methinks.
  18. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    haven't powered it up yet, will do that tonight and get windows installed. I had planned to use windows 7 but I don't know if it is going to support DirectX 12 ( doesn't 11.2) so I think ill go with 8.1. I know it isn't 100% yet but it should improve over time.
    Anon666 likes this.
  19. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    having the mob laying flat and a big space under the mob tray def makes the built very neat. PSU, dvd drive and hdd/ssd being hidden under tray does give it a clean look :)
    Anon666 likes this.
  20. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    What did total cost come in at?