PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Bonus, nice setup there mate, large amount of overkill for iRacing, haha! What did it set you back? If you don't mind me asking. You've got a good base for a crossfire build somewhere down the track, if your case, mobo and PSU will accommodate (haven't researched the mobo myself).
  2. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Got a m8t who runs his own little IT business, he got it for cost @ $1500. I think they have put in an even better SSD, I not up with all the bits in these PC things but they tell me it will boot up lightning fast and run most modern games and handle my HD Video and Photography editing beautifully, so thats just what I need. My old PC is over 10 years old, its one of the good old DEL's and never had one single problem with it. Its way too slow for modern stuff now, only good for my 8 year old to play DVD's and you tube
  3. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    That seem's like a good price to me mate, SSD's are a :):):):):), they're awesome, but unless you like uninstalling games after playing through them all the time, you quickly run out of space, unless your willing to spend a bunch on the SSD alone, i'm assuming you'll largely be using this for iRacing anyway so you should be cruisin, I personally use my SSD as my boot drive and for smaller programs like Adobe and stuff, oh and drivers of course. I use my 1TB drive for game installs as I've had no performance issues anyway.

I spent a bucket on my system early last year and it's still right up there today, the only thing really holding it back now is the GPU (being a 5000 series Radeon it struggles with tesselation) and to a lesser extent the CPU, they still perform well but I'm a graphics whore so I NEED to max everything out, if I can't, I won't play it until I upgrade.
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I just got the 60GB SSD because I pretty much uninstall anything I haven't used in the last 3 months.
    ATM iRacing is the only game installed so I put that on the SSD to keep the load times down, and it's great.

I put all my music, vids, etc on the secondary storage (1TB black) and may put any larger programmes on here too. But I don't even think I've used 30GB of the SSD yet. Windows 7 is quite cool, the 'my music' etc. folders work like your media library and find media on any drive, not just under this directory on C-drive.

I've got an external 500GB HD that I used with my old computer which only had a couple of 60GB drives. I chuck installation/setup files and stuff I want to keep/backup but wouldn't regularly 'use' on this. I've got a couple of full game programme directories in their too, like Gran Prix Legends and NASCAR 2002. You don't have to 'install' these, you can just copy and paste the folder, or run it of the external.
  5. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Can anyone help me with this one.

I just installed my new 800w power supply, and the ASUS HD 6950 2gb card. I've powered up the computer and I'm getting a black screen. I've checked that everything is plugged back in, all the cooling fans are working fine (including the ones on the card). I am running an lcd tv connected through hdmi though. I'm wondering if this is the problem atm. I was thinking i may have to get a normal pc monitor, then install the card driver software, then switch back to the tv. anyone got any clues?
  6. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Yer Beau i had to connect to the tv through the PC connection then set it to HDMI, probably old news to you now.
    I'm looking for a good cheap monitor; i have found 2 i think are good value from pc case gear. Asus VE247H 23.6" LED $169, its got 10mil/1 contrast and 2ms, or the BenQ G2450HM 24" LCD $169, its got 50,000/1contrast and 2ms.
    Both good prices, Asus probably better stats bun BenQ got good rep, might be getting the extra 2 screen eventually as well. Any experts out there can help me decide?
  7. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

I'm not an expert, Bones, but I am happy with my (3x) LEDs ... AOC Black Razor E2343F2K 23in Widescreens, also from pccasegear. Imho they look superior to any LCD I've owned, though I never played iRacing on any LCD.

The difference is subtle, and possibly one of preference ... the way Sony (Bravia) just, for my money, always had the edge over an equivalent Panasonic (Viera).

Whichever you get, I seriously doubt that monitor specs will prove a bottleneck, in any way shape or form, to the performance of your iRacing service/experience, so no dramas there ... just make sure it does full HD (supporting 19201080 pixels), and you'll be good to go :)
  8. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Thanks Stone, got sick of fighting for tv. So setting up on one screen for starters then get the other 2 later. The Asus got good review for price.
  9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Good advice Chris.

I'm using an LCD full HD TV - 42" - hence why I haven't rushed into triple monitors... but like you Bones I have to compete for TV time so an alternative may be in the pipeline soon :p
  10. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I don't compete for anything in this household. I rule this roost, good and proper. lol.

No seriously my missus is the best! Plus I moved all my Sim :):):):) into a spare room. Now all I have to worry about is her downloading stuff on her laptop, MID RACE! eeee! pwhooopp!
  11. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

I just got my extra 2 monitors this week. Haven't spent too much time on iracing yet, but it certainly makes for a more involving experience. I had a Dell 22 inch screen 1680x1050. So I ponied up for 2 more Dell 22's ensure that I matched the resolution. Found some new ones on ebay for ~$135 each delivered (tiny.cc/vj0un). Very nice picture, better than my existing monitor. I don't mind not having 'full hd' I have a TV for that and its a bit less taxing on the video card to draw 5.3mill pixels (1680x1050x3) vs 6.2mill (1920x1080x3).

Only thing left to do is get a cockpit. And actually find some driving skill :p
  12. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

A decent cockpit will definitely enhance your experience as much as the monitor upgrade, mate (v. nice, btw ... you must be stoked!) -- next year I'm definitely gonna spring for an Obutto :D

However, I think your chances of finding talent are slim, Dusty, unless it's actually hidden under that cockpit seat* ... ;) ... and after typing "slim, Dusty", I have a great and utterly random urge to start calling you "Slim Shadey" :eek: ... I better ease up on the ol' bongs :lol:

Good to see you back around, Slim ... :cool:

Or do you think I need a few more cones ..? You do .!? Ok, you've twisted my arm ;)

* Baseless comment derived solely for the purposes of hangin' :):):):) ..!
  13. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    * Excellent comments soley resulting in the purpose of my entertainment. Quop Tolity :p
  14. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I bought 3 new 23" Acer monitors today. I need to buy some DP cables tomorrow and then get it up and running. can't wait!
  15. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Very :cool:
  16. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    FYI The build in blue in the OP is running both rFactor 2 and WMD pCARS at full graphics (at full HD 1080p) with excellent frame rates.
  17. M1K1_D

M1K1_D Miki D

I just built my first computer over the weekend, my specs seem similar to yours. ($900 for parts) Different brands to yours though - Seagate HDD, Thermaltake CPU cooler, Kingston RAM only 1333MHz, Gigabyte GTX 550 graphics card and Thermaltake TR2 PSU. I didn't actualy think i'd be able to do it as my wife pointed out that i'm "just a plane mechanic", but she admitted she's impressed that I managed it on my first attempt. However, I never thought about the anti-virus. Doh! So, not online......yet. :)
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Good stuff Miki.... get yourself Avast. It's free and one of the better anti-virus programmes out there...
    It's served me well over the last few years. http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download Then you'll be online in no time.
  19. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

I just plug my monitor, keyboard and wireless mouse into the laptop when I want to play PC games. It's an Asus N61JQ; I upgraded the ram to 8GB and HDD to 1TB but other than that it is bog standard apart from being slightly overclocked :)

I'll eventually upgrade the now unused desktop in the next 6 moths, Ivy Bridge based.
  20. MADCAP

MADCAP Rookie

Hi Guys this was my first quote:

Case: Fractal Design ARC Mid Tower Case Black Specs $140.91
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Processor 3.4GHz/ 3.9GHz (LGA1155) Specs 3yrs wty $354.59
    RAM: KT HyperX 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (MB Certified) (4x4GB) Specs Lifetime wty $64.68
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H S1155 ATX Specs 3yrs wty $195.20
    Solid State Disk: Kingston 120G 2.5" SATA3 R/W 535/480 $184.80
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 64MB Cache (WD1002FAEX) $154.77
    Video Card: Gigabyte nVidia GTX 570 1.5GB DDR5 (GV-N570D5-13I-B) $415.80
    Video Card: Gigabyte nVidia GTX 570 1.5GB DDR5 (GV-N570D5-13I-B) $415.80
    Powersupply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W $190.58
    Assembly, Test and burn-in $150.00

VISA/MC 1.50% #REF! $2,301.12
    AMEX 2.75% #REF! $2,329.46

What you guys think - should i up the PSU?