PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

550ti, and 55 if it exsited? Are no good really anyway, something like 560 or the ati equiv 6850 would be minium.

Of course newer cards out except for the new Nvidia mid range aka the GTX660. The GTX670, GTX680 out but you looking $480 odd for GTX670. ATI have there mid range cards out aka 7850, 7870 starting about $270...BUT Nvidia are killing ati in this newest genertion race. Im waiting for the GTX660 myself for my next upgrade, should be out by august. Low power use and decent upgrade for my 6850 that is getting near 2 year old.

By the way I bought on of those yamakasi 2560x1440 IPS monitors off ebay from korea...they are amazing for $300. I got no dead pixels too.

You dont need an i7 either unless your into multi tasking and associated bench marking. i5 performs equal if not better in all games to its i7 counter part. The bonus is i5 is cheaper. i7 just have hyper threading. I'll propose a solid midrange build that will out peform that and be alot cheaper from PCGC for ya this weekend.. Do you want a SSD hard drive?
  2. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    Thanks for the extra info Tek. I don't know jack about graphics cards.

Is that even a question!? Of course he wants a SSD. I don't know how we got anything done without them.
    Prices are very reasonable now too.
  3. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    thanks heaps for all the info fellas. Much appreciated..

@Tek yeah i want a SSD hard drive. why you ask? You got one to GIVE away? :p
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Merged with PC build specs thread... it's going in the same direction.
  5. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

6. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    yah thanks Koastr, i would have done itbut i don't know how to do that stuff yet.. ;)
    Thanks Tek..
  7. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

Sorry Oz that link worked when I tried from here, must of been stored in my cache or something anyway.

Something like this would be heaps better for the price $1099 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411&products_id=20809 HAs a kick arse Cpu and a SSD. It has on board vid but for gaming It needs a GPU which would cost about $150-$300 (build above has a good PSU so will take what you want GPU wise) which you could ask them to put in. Take a look at some of there other pre builds too.

You pay alittle more with there pre builds than if you bought the parts indivually, I cant see an option at PCCG for them to assemble your own picked items. I know MSY do but they dont post they only in the capital cities really.

To put GPU prices in perspective the 550 in the 1st build u linked is $125 @ PCCG http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1201
  8. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    thanks again Tek :) will have a look into it...
  9. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    the missus has been jumping around on the computer and come up with a build...
    what do you guys think??? thoughts Good - Bad?
    this is all delivered for free and not built..

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window and Black Interior (SGC-1000-KWN1) - Coolermaster $84.43

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom - OCZ Technology $89.99

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) - Lite On $24.99

OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 Industry's Highest I/O Performance Up to 120K IOPS SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive $114.99

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Gigabyte $137.19

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B - Corsair $89.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI-I/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card,- EVGA $269.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K - Intel $214.99

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack - Microsoft Software; DVD-ROM $90.65

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2) - Cooler Master $29.56

total $1,146.77
  10. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Looks alright Aussie. Do you want more than 128GB of storage though? Maybe get a standard 2tb HDD for general crap as well? Or do you have an external HDD already? All in all though, nice budget machine!
  11. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    have an external HDD already,
    the missus said the computer is not going to be used for storage just used for running the programs.

i don't know about all this tech crap i just know not click on pop up boxes without reading it first :/
  12. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    I would put a storage drive in anyway, like Chev said, for a number of reasons.
    1. 128Gb doesn't go far these days.
    2. While SSD's have come a long way, they don't have the same life as a platter drive and have been known to fail.
    3. With an external HDD you've then got a bottleneck caused by USB. The drive can only be accessed at maybe 1/3 the speed as it could if it were internal.

Some other minor things IMO..
    - Could probably get away with a lower wattage power supply, 600W maybe?
    - The CPU cooler is a nice-to-have, not really a necessity. Unless you're doing a lot of hardcore gaming or video conversion I wouldn't bother. I've found the stock cooler to be fine.
    - 8GB RAM would be enough. Anything more than that is wasted unless you're using virtualization.

Of course this is all IMO. Downgrading those parts isn't going to save you a ton of $$ anyway.
  13. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

My hair is a bird, Flood. Your opinions are invalid.
  14. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Seriously though, what Flood says is true. Get an internal SATA HDD mate.
  15. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Yeah Aussie, if she's going to be playing many games I'd definately go for an internal hard drive, unless you've got a 256GB or larger SSD they're not really ideal for running games from, load times are great but you'll forever be uninstalling old :):):):) to free up space, games are huge these days and large SSD's are bloody expensive.
  16. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    Thanks Snake. the missus said she understood every word but me on the other hand, IN 1 EAR OUT THE OTHER :| :eek: :/ :):):):)en Tech Chit :lol: :lol:
  17. zampli

zampli Team Driver

you can get decent PCs for well under $1000 if you look around and maybe custom build. my friends brother got a laptop that can run BF3 on HIGH for $600, the same friend recently got a laptop for $800 which would be better than that with an i7 processor.
    two other friends got good pcs for around that bracket as well, which is more than enough to handle iRacing.
  18. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

That's always out dated,
    e.g. 12k built has Samsung S27A950D 27" 3D Monitor for = $804
    Shopping Express has it for = $425
    Price match at Officeworks less 5% = $403.75 near enough to 1/2 the price hey? (thinkin of getting it at the mo, runs 120hz)

Always cheaper to do custom, why pay someone else's markup & labor etc, very easy to do, lots of tutorials & help online if your a noob, Hell if you live near me I'll do it for ya for a carton

Best value graphics card at the mo seems to be the Geforce 2gb GTX670 (clockable) = $395 http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Geforce GTX670&spos=1
  19. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Just a heads up guys that "AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta Driver" is out, it's fixed the updater issue from 12.8 and hopefully fixed the flash bugs from 12.10

I recommend the 2nd one "with .NET 4 Support" - http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

I also recommend using this to update any other old drivers - http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-75279940.html it can occasionally show that an installed driver is newer than the one its suggesting so not perfect but better than spending a couple of hours searching through device manager etc

Cheers!
  20. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Is this enough for iRacing?

My specs are follows:
    Vista home premium 32 bit SP2
    Intel core2 quad cpu Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
    4gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT