PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Yeah mate, just did, think my graphics card might be a bit light on, what do you think?
  3. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Hey Clevo, No prob with that setup, others would be jealous. Just make sure all your drivers are up to date and you have the latest flash player etc.

Also helps if you don't have unnecessary crap on your hard drive & you run a defrag now & then

If you need help let us know, we're cheap

Col
  4. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Thanks mate, was a bit worried it is 5 years old, thought it might have been a bit dated :p

I defrag regularly, will have a clean up and get rid of some built up crap and free up some space.
  5. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Well yea it is but if you just want to get by for now until you get excited enuf with iracing to invest some $'s, one of the guys just spent $850 just for a wheel, even I'm not that ballsy "yet", I don't know your circumstances.

The biggest disability is the graphics card cause its only 256mb but it will work if you turn everything you can off or down to low (in iracing), just run it all very minimum settings for now, but you obviously wont get the same visual effect as someone running a 1gig card which is a huge difference.

"If" $'s are an issue keep an eye on Gumtree.com.au, guys that are upgrading to 3-4gig cards sell their 1-2gig cards on there for anywhere around $40 to $120 just make sure you know where they live incase its fukd
  6. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
  7. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Guy's, T'is the season to be jolly and apparently for some reason also means spendin shiet loads giving pressies, well stuff ya I don't know ya that well and I'm a tight ass.

However I found a couple of bargains so thought I'd maybe help ya save a few dollars, that's givin in'it ?

Check out these prices on quality SSD's

Plus if you use code WELCOME5 on Harvey Normal Online anytime before the 21st of Dec you'll get $5 of any purchase over $6 (Maybe new headphone/Mic Kosta?)

And... if anyone has a Get Wines Direct nearby The Age newspaper has a discount voucher for a $30 carton of Corona's

Wrap it ya self ya buggas ;)
  8. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

lol check out the title & then the details, says 2g then 1g
    Anyhow... I'm assuming you picked that one because their close to you (so can pickup) and know it will suit your system specs i.e. fit your motherboard?

Based on that, price & comparing their others from this page compare the features, power etc, if it were me I'd go with this one which is the 4th one down, for an extra $15 you get much better mhz

Mind you at the same time here's the 2g version if your not in a hurry, not a bad system including 24" monitor here, can spend hours finding better deals, I use this mostly

What's your motherboard Clevo? first off though lets give the girl some love, after 5 years I strongly suggest taking off the side cover (left side panel when facing front on) and checking out how much dust is in there especially blocking the radiator looking thing under the cooling fan, this causes overheating/instability probs etc. "IF" you have a compressor, undo all the cables of the tower & take it outside & give it a good blow out but 1st make sure no moisture is coming out the line, and make sure you don't physically touch any of the internal components, some of it don't like static electricity etc, and you don't wanna knock any internal wires off etc (you can also blow it out down the servo, just need a tyre valve or some kind of fitting to allow the air to come out)

Now you've learnt how to do that download PC Wizard from here, (during install Untick the box for "advanced system protector") this little program will show all sorts of stuff, have a play around and get an understanding of what you have

Click on the motherboard icon, then click on mainboard & you'll see the product & version details etc.

Let me know how you go

Cheers!

Col
  9. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    dell 0fm586 main board :/
  10. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Hey Clevo,
    Based on your system specs including whats available from its power supply (PSU) this is prob the best value I can find for it (just check postage costs)

I also noticed your in Tas but not sure where, This isn't a bad setup for something close to you and ready to go, has 3.6Ghz, 8gb ram (1300) & a 7750 1 Gb Graphics card, make him an offer & who knows
  11. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Thanks mate, will have a discussion with the secretary of finance and recreation (handbrake), and decide which way we wanna go, we have been talking bout new tower for a bit now, so just to decide to weather buy a gaming tower like the ones you listed, or get a new home PC tower for her and the kids and mod my existing one for iRacing?
  12. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Your fight but depending on the boss & kids PC requirments they prob don't need a new system, I'd tidy up your old girl as in what I said earlier with dust etc, back up all your personal doc's, pic, music etc, reinstall the operating system (easy & can guide ya thru it) so she's a fresh install with no bugs etc in the registry, give the monitor a wipe down & give it to them with your love.
    If you wanna sweetn the deal for em upgrade it to Win7 or 8, with 4gig ram she should be rite

Then put any of those available coins towards a new toy for urslf for christmas.
  13. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Yeah mate will get chrissy out the way, but yeah she is due for a spring clean, I try to dust it once a year, and I will take you up on the offer of the fresh install guidance, may even do this prior to running iRacing. I will pm you.
  14. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Clevo, what's your budget mate? I highly recommend checking out PC CaseGear's prebuilt systems here, just keep in mind that those prices do NOT include a monitor, although the graphics cards in them are considerably better than what you've been looking at, if you can stretch your legs to the GTX 650 Ti rig you'll be breezing through not just iRacing, but most of the games you throw at it.
  15. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Thanks Snake

Just concentrating on getting chrissy out of the way at the moment, and Aussiecol is guiding me to freshen up my windows install (which was probably well overdue)

But thanks for the link, will keep an eye on that, and hopefully in the new year I can scrape together a bit of cash and get a tower for myself. And for the monitor, I have a 42" Plasma spare that I will use for the rig, plus a heap of mice and a couple of keyboards kicking about.

But at least holding off on the investment into a new tower, I can at least try and see how I like iRacing in the mean time with my current setup and I am hoping will seal the deal for me ;) can't wait to try it.

I really appreciate everyone's help and guidance on the subject, thanks guys.
  16. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Hey All
    Received an email with this if anyones interested, couple good deals there
  17. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

+1 for Pccasegear. I've been dealing with them for many years. Can't fault them really.
  18. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Hi All

Advanced SystemCare PRO 6 Christmas Giveaway = FREE ends Boxing Day so hurry - http://ld.iobit.com/2012/novchipgw/index.php

Actually from what I gather everyone gets the same code so if you want to try just download it here - http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-S...07614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=button

Pay close attention while installing and untick the bookmarks check box, it's a toolbar

After install the broser will pop up just close it and in the panel click on upgrade now in the lower right and copy paste this code into the licence panel - 65792-57FC4-5CEC1-677C4

Merry Christmas :)
  19. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Hi All,
    Any of you tight ass's like me need a new gaming headset EB Games have got these Plantronics GameCom 367's at near 1/2 price for $28.00 (were $48.28)
    Ob at that price there no 5.1 or anything like A700's etc but there's some good reviews on them and aparently not to tight for my fat head, good enough for me

Also, according to Neishy aparently someone has allready posted this but I can't find it, maybe we need a bargain shopping thread?
    Dick Smith has the Logitech G27 Racing Wheel on special for $209.40 which I recon is bloody a bloody bargain so I'm gunna get one tomorrow

No worries, up ya bum :)

Cheers!
  20. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Just an update guys, just got back from the crazyness out there with post christams sales, full carparks and currently 42 degree heat (good perv tho)
    Typically with any big sale my local Dick Smith was outa stock and the closest with any was nearlly a two hour round trip. Local JB HiFi said they'd price match but then relised they were outa stock. Local Harvey said they'd price match looked on his computer and said they did'nt have any, so I said "then what's that big pile of them doing sitting over there in the corner?" someone had entered the wrong part number in the system & none of them even relised they were sitting there, "oh wow we've had alot of calls for them" :lol: so he gave it to me for $205

So with my savings (And Kosta's comments lingering in the back of my head "your mic is violating my ears though col") I decided to splurge out on a new headset, but not just any ordinary ones, Plantronics GameCom 780 "7.1" surround sound with noise-canceling mic from EB's for only $88. So now when I get good enough to overtake Bones and his yelling abuse at me out his window I'll be able to hear him from infront, beside & behind my car :p

So for less than the orginal price of the wheel I recon I've done well, now I'm gunna set'm up :D

Cheers!