Season 10 - Division 1- Powered by TURTLE BEACH

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    the rate at which the fuel runs out compared to tyre wear means that no one would need to run the hard tyre
  2. natmanscoop

natmanscoop Professional Gold Member

Kudos for throwing up a new idea @Hatfield , but no effing way, the GT6 weather is geared to swing to either full-dry or full wet, so if it goes full-wet it'll likely stay there for half the race or longer.

I seriously have better things to do than cruise around at 80% pace wondering if the munted weather system will come back to a reasonable level.

If it's that bad, then just lock the weather % and be done with it.
    JonoStan96 and Crunch like this.
  3. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Tyre reg change is biggest buzzkill I think I've ever felt; after such a song & dance in the Track discussion thread too.

The key thing I'll say is even if less than 2% of drivers ever use the Hards, that's no reason to ban their use. The tyre regs offered so many benefits for people to practice & communicate, which will now never be felt with every race being the same. Getting people to put their minds to strategy is so integral to getting people to practise at all, meaning better races. The point of liberal tyre regs has been missed completely.

The illusion of free choice was beneficial, not the actual tyres themselves.

This sucks beyond measure. Now I know why Project CARS looks enticing.

Oh well. I won't mention it again until next season.

-----

Anyone in Div1 gonna use a H-pattern shifter (without clutch)? I plan to as a switch up from the paddles we've used recently. Dunno if it's a pace killer or not. I'll find out tomorrow.
    its-benny-racer and REVO_Bryan like this.
  4. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

That would bring a whole new meaning to the term 'Virtual Safety Car'. Is that just in case I get a 'virtual injury' if I crash?
    The whole point of a safety car is in the name, it's not there to assist those who can't drive in wet conditions.
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  5. its-benny-racer

I fully agree, a simple rule that said you have to use a compound other than soft at some point during a race would have prevented anyone running an all softs strategy. I see no point in restricting it any further. It would be no harder to police but would allow people to get creative, especially in the enduro round.
  6. B-Spec Bob

B-Spec Bob Team Driver

PSN ID
    B-spec-_-Bob
    Crunch likes this.
  7. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Finalised tyre regs are still under discussion. It's good to see feedback :)
    For meet n greet, lets go with quick races on each track on the medium sports tyre and for apricot hill, stick it to 100% track wetness n weather on softs and see what you think
  8. B-Spec Bob

B-Spec Bob Team Driver

PSN ID
    B-spec-_-Bob
    Your choice of barely street legal, gooved slicks (sports tyres) is causing bucket loads of aquaplaning, resulting in "ridiculously difficult" handling.
    Closest tyres to being period representative in-game (comfort tyres) are your typical all-weather road tyres with rain grooves that will solve all this safety car nonsense.
  9. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

Or open it up to intermediates?
  10. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
    Again someone sees comfort tyres as the better tyre for this car. Real grooves in a real 70's style tyre for a 70's car.
  11. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

But are you driving this season or are you racing this season
  12. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
    yes i am racing, but we are racing a road car with road car handling on road car suspension, with road car brakes.
    Comfort tyres will not only suit the car better and be more realistic, they will give the driver more grooves to work with in the wet.
    REVO_Bryan likes this.
  13. REVO_Bryan

REVO_Bryan Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    I would consider opening the tire regulations to comfort compounds for the wet round (if not all rounds). They are at least several seconds a lap faster and provide more predictable handling than the sports compounds at 100% wetness.

My thoughts on racing intermediates:
    1. They perform no better than sports compounds at 100% wetness, and possibly even worse,
    2. The idea of having racing tires of any kind on a 70s Prancing Horse seems absurd to me.
    Easyprey007 and NAACS like this.
  14. AUSnicko9

AUSnicko9 Professional

PSN ID
    aussie_nicko
    I'm all for comfort tyres only, wet or dry. Sports tyres gave way too much grip when we tried them the other night.
    B-Spec Bob, warrior2167 and NAACS like this.
  15. REVO_Bryan

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    I have an idea on a "token" tire system:
    Each compound is allocated points. For example:
    • SH = 0 points
    • SM = 1 point
    • SS = 2 points
    For a regular round, you are allocated 2 points. This means if you use softs for one stint, you must only use hards for the other stint(s), as you have used up all your points. Likewise, if you use mediums for one stint, you are able to use them for one more stint only. Use of the hard compound is unlimited.

For the weather round, the same rules as above apply, except comfort compounds can also be used without restriction.

For the sprint round, the compound is fixed (e.g. sport mediums).

For the endurance round, you are allocated 3 points. This means you can use softs for one stint, mediums for one stint, and hards for one stint. Or, you can use mediums for all three stints.
  16. its-benny-racer

This is the best idea I've heard yet!
  17. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    This confuses me because on fast, the fuel runs out any way. Monza would be 20 laps (40 min). Everyones going to stop once so tyres kinda become irrelevant.
    i like that to, but how long do the SS last ?
  18. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    If the fuel runs out faster than the tyres wear then there is no point running a hard tyre as you would be just gifting time to the opposition.

I'm baffled at this huge discussion with variable stratiegies when the races aren't anywhere near long enough to produce varying results. In past seasons when something like this has been attempted artificially (via far too fast wear rates and other methods) all it did was cause bottlenecks in the pit lane, and races would be ruined due to the broken stops.

If you guys are that desperate for strategy, just open up the tyres to hard/medium/soft and have at it.
  19. REVO_Bryan

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    This doesn't work in GT6, the grip advantage of the softs outweigh any durability advantages of the harder compounds. That's why we're trying to find a way to reduce over-reliance on the softest compound.
  20. its-benny-racer

I did the math on it using my own times at Monza, 24 laps would produce a 45 min race.
    If I ran softs to lap 15 then hards the rest, would produce about the same race time as mediums both stints.
    Running longer on softs would be faster, but fuel will only last to about 18 at 5.25 litres per lap.
    This is all theoretical, hasn't been tested to account for wear.
    Based on this, if the pits were closed after 2/3 distance either strategy could win.