TURTLE BEACH Turtle Beach Prize Race "Turn Left" | GT5 March 24th

Discussion in 'Archive' started by stucar17, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    I wondered what had happened to you Barra...i think i managed to lag punt you as well at one stage?
    Know what you mean about being on your own .. oval racing holds no joy at all when you are cutting your own air!
  2. Barra333

Barra333 Rookie

PSN ID
    barra333
    I think you may have - directly from behind. Just boosted me to about 390kmh and damaged one wheel. I managed to make the turn though.
  3. GTDutch

GTDutch Rookie

PSN ID
    GTP_Dutch
    Tried to make the race last night but a damn system update caused a significant delay just when i didn't need one. But you cant blame me for wanting to watch the podium of the f1 till the end! Damn twerp.

Anyway, good luck to all the contenders.
  4. midron18

midron18 Rookie

PSN ID
    midron18
    Do I get extra tickets for fastest lap?
  5. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I had a similar incident, actually three of them!
    Fell a bit behind the leading group after I was pushed against the wall. Then, as I started to catch up by finally getting into someone's draft, and getting sucked into the back of the car ahead, he breaks right and I smashed into the back of a car parked in the middle lane. Engine damaged, tire damaged I jump straight into pits. After I came out, on and off exchanged drafts with a few cars and started saving fuel by staying behind other car's draft. At some point, while on my own, an invisible entity pushes my from behind and launches me at 390 km/h, no harm done and kept going.
    Finally, as it started to look good to get in the top 3, AGAIN, smashed into another car parked in the middle lane after Emmo broke right whilst being in his draft.
    Ended up fifth behind Emmo and fed up with NASCAR for some time to come. Now let's go karting!
  6. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I think I will review the replay with the parked car incidents, as I too nearly hit him twice along with just about everyone else.

I received several verbal complaints regarding the incidents after the race in another room, this and S_CLOSE statement above has prompted me to investigate further.
  7. Barra333

Barra333 Rookie

PSN ID
    barra333
    Is that someone being an asshat, or the network really messing with you guys?
  8. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I had an enjoyable race. Never really dabbled in NASCAR before, something about always turning left kept me away... lol

Anyway, during practice and waiting for people to join, our lobby agreed that qualifying was pretty pointless, so we just jumped on the track and started the race.
    I rolled out in 8th of 9 starters (Groover and Rumbles were absent, Dutch got stuck up the update river and joined when we were on about lap 20).

First stint, I decided to just roll around the back end and see what happens with fuel and pitstops. After seeing Barra go the grassy infield, a couple of tiny gaps opened up, I pushed and got up near the front by lap 19... Pitted and came out right behind Dan...

What followed was some tag-team drafting for the next 55 laps and we opened up a lead over everyone else. Then came my brain-fade... Coming up to lap Barra on lap 76, I was caught on the outside and Dan was inside... When I realized he was pitting, I was hung out to dry with no-where to go. Looked at the fuel gauge and thought... "Yeah, I'll make it around"... WRONG!!! Luckily I had enough for 3/4 of a lap and was doing 340 as I hit the turn and ran out... rolled into the pits, but I had lost my draft-buddy.

Lap 95, into pits again and just hit the ok button to fill up... Hold ON... That only said 52 litres!!! Fragleshdornph, that ain't gunna be enough. Oh well, nothing I can do now. As it worked out, was a good strategy, I ran through to 106 then threw 75 litres in for the run home, slipping back into 1st as Dan topped up, and luckily catching onto to Homebrew for some much needed drafting to finish. Was about 7 seconds ahead after the last stop, pushed it out to 13 seconds in the end.

Fun night, thanks for the drafting help, got it from a few Dan (big thanks), Tek helped a bit and Brew at the end... Awesome stuff.

Fastest Lap (just for interest's sake)...

1. Gary ..............41.457
    2. Stumbles ........41.956
    3. Dan ...............41.958
    4. Dougz.............42.114
    4. Barra..............42.114
    6. Sid.................42.135
    7. Joe.................42.166
    8. Tek.................42.203
    9. Homebrew........42.228
  9. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    hate to disappoint ya ... but no i don't think so mate
  10. midron18

midron18 Rookie

PSN ID
    midron18
    That's all good haha :)
  11. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Well I thoroughly enjoyed the race even though what I thought was a great strategy really sucked in the end. I theorised that running 20 laps per stint would give at least one stop advantage over the field. I could only go 18 laps running flat out on my own so started at looking to save fuel from the start even dropping back straight away from my 2nd place starting position. It was looking good when nobody else got to 20laps on the first stint and I got to 21. At the end of the first three stints I ran up to three laps longer and was leading. The lead was shorter each time but I was confident the extra stop I was sure every one had to do would give the race back to me. Evil somehow managed to run faster than me and still get back to a five stop strategy. I couldn't believe it. I sacrificed too much pace coasting as I wasn't able to pick up many tows and actually ran out of fuel twice trying to maximise my fuel mileage. I got to lap 84 on four stints which allowed me to run flat out to the finish with two 18 lap stints but the damage was already done. I learnt alot from this race and want to have another go. Well done the Evil, he really nailed it. Serg, what happened to you was a shame, I was in front luckily and just had time to swerve and miss the car in the middle of the back straight but you and a couple of others wouldn't have had a chance to miss him. It was a shame because we were having a great tussle and there were no kombis in sight.
  12. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Staying with at least 1 other car at all times is the key to success in oval Nascar on GT5. If you are left by yourself for too long it's game over pretty much. Any kind of variance in strategy will only get you into trouble, and the draft effect is still far too strong for this type of racing to work correctly.

With that said, I had good fun in the race, which was the first proper Nascar race i'd ever participated in. I wanna thank Beannie for bump drafting me back into the lead pack after I ran out of fuel the first time, that was pretty cool. Unfortunately I ran out another 2 times, the last of which was on the last lap lol. Somehow I didn't come last (second last lol), which makes me wonder what the hell happened to Cob.
  13. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    Yes, with fuel burn set on fast, fuel was the limiting factor, so drafting and saving fuel was the way to go. Found that out after the first pit stop after 17 laps. So I spent the rest of the time drafting behind clevo and s_close while only at 75% throttle. Midron saved me during my final stint, or else I would have been further back. This strategy only usually works with backmarkers though.
  14. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

My car was slow, didnt do an oil change pre race so I wasnt good to draft with. Doug and I took advantage when stumbles and dani lapped us, just basicly sat behind them 3/4 throttle conserving fuel.. I could see you guys coming so basiclly waited for SnD to lap us then settle in behind.
    I was spewing someone else didnt conserve 1st stint when there was a big pack, I went till lap 22 for 1st stop but came out in no mans land 15secs behind. I wasnt catching Joe infront so I slowed down for till doug caught me up, from there we were already 30 secs behind and getting lapped was a formality.

Stumbles and dani were the fastest Div 2 "team" for sure. They were on there own with healthy lead after the 1st stop till they got broken up after the last stop I was spewing someone didnt conserve 1st stint when there was a big pack, I went till lap 22 for 1st stop but came out in no mans land 15secs behind. I wasnt catching Joe infront so I slowed down for till doug caught me up, from there we were already 30 secs behind and getting lapped was a formality.
  15. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I guess it is sort of fun when you are racing with drivers you know will behave clean during the race, perhaps we should do it again with a full grid and setting draft to weak.
  16. midron18

midron18 Rookie

PSN ID
    midron18
    Serg jump online
  17. zampli

zampli Team Driver

draft was on weak?
    i pitted every 20-25 laps or so, didnt make a difference, we would all join up at some point, hence why there 5 or 6 within a second at finish. felt terribly underwhelming lol, almost like we couldve done 10 laps and got same result.
    i always lifted off going into the left handers and if in a big pack, on the straights as well, not like the people in front could escape lol
  18. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    I guess i was probably the one having the most fun as most of the time i was bump drafting to catch the main pack and i would consume too much fuel to keep up with the right pit sequence, its why you would of saw me hold back massively once i caught up, i honestly was soo critical on fuel it was a miricle i finished, i was saving fuel as muh as possible up until the back striaght of the last lap and if the race was another lap i would of ran out meters after the line for the start of that last lap.

If fuel wasn't an issue i reckon me and Beannie could of went for the win with how fast we where getting with bump draft, lapping 2 seconds faster the the main pack lol.
  19. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead

The incidents have been reviewed and I have found them to be nothing more than unfortunate race incidents with "green" online racers, the only thing they could have done to avoid this would have been get off the track and wait for the traffic to pass instead of try and get going again on the track (which the drivers involved probably haven't had much experience in online racing, and our rules) it was unfortunate for the seasoned drivers effected, but we have all made silly little mistakes in our first online outings I am sure :)

After watching the new drivers for most of the replay, I was quietly impressed with their ability, and their passing and drafting. Just little inconsistencies bought them undone, the main being the old RED MIST ;)

Hang in there T_B_williams it was a good drive, would love to see you in the upcoming league.
  20. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    Speaking of "red mist" - what happened to Sidfire at Daytona? disconnected in the first few laps
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.