Season 7 Division 3

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inline 6

inline 6 New Recruit

yeah dutch I was catching up in the 2nd race on my softs, I was debaiting in my head if it was too late or not when i touched the grass and spun. so that put any chance of beating you out the window and i decided i should be making sure i take 2nd from that point on.

well done on the win streak
  2. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    Was a great race fighting with inline. He's better on brakes, so keeps staying in front, until a mistake near the end after the double hairpins. RS were definitely faster and easier to drive.

Code:
        Driver         Time       Best Lap
    01. GTP_Dutch      49:33.522  1:29.980  (Fastest Lap)
    02. X-3vi1m00n       +05.770  1:30.658
    03. daninline6       +12.802  1:30.492
    04. CobMcCool        +17.688  1:30.051
    05. garyw61          +42.087  1:30.430
    06. disturboed     +1:23.313  1:30.425
    07. Rumbleshorts   +1:26.453  1:31.482
    08. mmm_homebrew   +1:28.588  1:31.002
    09. jas002         +2:04.409  1:34.014
    10. Pricey_777     +2:31.904  1:31.572
    11. xsirdave           DNF    1:33.013
    12. stevisaa           DNF    1:32.820

Driver          Best Lap
    01. GTP_Dutch      1:29.980  (Fastest Lap)
    04. CobMcCool      1:30.051
    06. disturboed     1:30.425
    05. garyw61        1:30.430
    03. daninline6     1:30.492
    02. X-3vi1m00n     1:30.658
    08. mmm_homebrew   1:31.002
    07. Rumbleshorts   1:31.482
    10. Pricey_777     1:31.572
    12. stevisaa       1:32.820
    11. xsirdave       1:33.013
    09. jas002         1:34.014

edit: corrected the missing 1 minute in the best laps
  3. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Faaarrrrrk me! I was nearly a minute off of Dutch's single lap pace! :p
  4. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Them Div 3 guys take the top 12 spots this week by a full minute.
  5. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

ROFL. I forgot Div 3 was driving the Redbull X2010 this round.
  6. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

7. GTDutch

GTDutch Rookie

PSN ID
    GTP_Dutch
    No wonder my tires wouldnt last....
  8. Pricey_777

Pricey_777 Wesley

I had lots of trouble with my Tyres. I had trouble making softs last 6 laps. I was so close to getting in front Jas then my tyres gave out and i spent the leg of my lap spinning.
    was a great fun race.
    Well done to podium.
  9. Bluemoon

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    :)
  10. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Yet again a mostly lonely race for me running a different strategy than most I think, was hoping it would pay off and possibly could have except for two things.
    Firstly wasn't looking at the lap count and went 1 lap too long on soft tyre in middle stint (but managed to minimize the damage anyway).
    Secondly got turned around at turn 1 after coming out of the pits on fresh mediums for the final stint which cooked my tyres a bit, cost me a bit of time and buggered up my crack at the podium.

I don't want too seem that I'm a cranky bugger or that I take this too seriously but if you're way down the order or possibly a lap down can you please check the race positions on the right hand side of the screen and see who is coming through and not try to race them as you are not going to improve your position you will only stuff up someone else's race. If you have genuine pace and can pass cleanly and drive away that's all good, but if you don't please stay out of the way. (Someone correct me if I'm out of order here....Mods???)

Unfortunately GT5 does not have blue flags like real life to warn people so we just have to be more aware of it ourselves, I know we all have to start somewhere, I'm still relatively new to this myself, but I don't wan't anyone to get a reputation as a race wrecker like that Dimplez tool who hasn't been seen around for some time (thank god!)

Cheers
  11. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Penalties should be on, so lapped cars should be ghosts. They can be distracting though.
  12. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Agreed car was ghosted and driver definately a lap down, however watched replay, definite contact from behind in right rear quarter panel (other car was behind so was not being distracted by it), then accelerated during contact spinning me around. Not to worry though.

Due to the inconsistent nature of GT5 online, I don't think we can take for granted any situation where cars a ghosted or not whether they will be solid during contact or not, I have had solid cars drive through me (not being lapped mind you) and ghosted cars make full contact.

Cheers
  13. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    Well, I threw away what was looking to be a good result last night.

With everything going at home at the moment, I again had no practice this week, until I got on about 30 minutes prior to qualifying and turned few laps to get an idea tyre wear, braking markers etc.

I started my qualifying run about halfway through the session and managed to snag second spot on my first run, not far behind Dutch's pole time. The tyres still felt good, so I pushed on for a second lap and was nearly 3 tenths up on Dutch's time right up till the double hairpins. I braked a fraction too early for the left hander before them so lost a bit of momentum, and that was enough for me to lose half a second. By the end of the lap I had gained back about 1 tenth, but it wasn't enough. I kept pushing for a 3rd lap, and was even slightly quicker still in the first half of the lap, but on the same corner, this time I braked fractionally too late, and went a bit too wide, again, causing loss of momentum and ended up the same. I almost had ya Dutch, geez it was close. By then, the optimal grip of the tyres was gone.

So, second on grid, got a decent start and was neck and neck with Dutch down the straight. I tried moving across as much as I could without pushing him into the wall, and we were side by side through turn 1, but he pulled ahead turn 2 and from there we started to pull a small gap on the rest.

Lap 2 I got the slipstream and as Dutch moved to the centre of the track to defend, I was able to take the optimal line along the fence. Around Turn 1 it was side by side, but I got a better drive around 2 and took the lead (OMG!). I think I surprised Dutch a bit when I took what was probably a fairly conservative braking line into the left hander after the back straight and threw him a bit wide. Then it all came unstuck. On the right hander after the double hairpins, I dropped a tyre onto the grass just before the ripple strip - only just fractionally - and it was enough to turn me around and across the track. Once I got back on, I was in 6th place and cursing myself. Apart from the loss of positions, I think this was my whole race done there and then.

I set about trying to chase down the guys in front and slowly started reeling them back in. A couple of laps later I had taken a few spots back and was closing the gap to the front. My strategy had been for a 2 stop race due to the length of pitlane, but this meant driving a really conservative race for me and learning to conserve the tyres. I worked out I could get 9 laps from the softs and 13 from the mediums. So I was going for a soft-medium-soft strategy. But this is where the earlier spin came back into play. I was starting lap 9 on what I thought was enough tread to get me around, but I didn't back off enough and the car was starting to slide a bit, and it just chewed my left rear to nothing, and I still had 4 sectors to go! A couple of uncontrollable spins, even at low speed, TC at 10 and I barely made it back to the pits, but I was effectively in last spot (11th) and a lap down.

Entering the pits, I forgot to change the tyres from softs to medium, so I had to do the second stint on softs again. For this stint I was able to get the 9 laps no problems as I didn't spin. I was able to pick a few people off, as they were probably on the mediums. I was still only up to about 7th though.

At the end of lap 18, I pitted for my last scheduled stop. Onto the mediums, and I really didn't know if I could make the tyres last till the end of the race whilst still maintaining a competitive speed. I fell back to 9th i think it was. I wasn't making up any ground on the leader, but wasn't falling behind any either. A few laps later I passed a few people in the pits and got back on the lead lap. Around lap 25 or so, I passed Rumbles & Homebrew in the pits, which surprised me a bit. I knew in the back of my head they would be taking softs and would no doubt be catching me fairly quickly. I was now in 6th spot and I was pressing to see if I could get in the top 5. I came within visual distance of 4th & 5th in a couple of laps, but then I had to deal with homebrew who took advantage of me going to deep into turn 1. Rumbles followed soon after and I resigned to finish down in the lowly 8th. But then rumbles had a moment, i think it was turn 3 and into the sand trap, so i squeezed on past. Homebrew had skipped out on me a little bit, so I was just concentrating on making sure I kept rumbles at bay when he came up on me.

Lo and behold, on the very last lap, I was coming down the back straight to the left hander and there was 'brew trying to face his car the right way round in the grass. Yippee!! Free position! (sorry homebrew). So I managed to cross the line in 6th spot, and with the 3rd fastest lap time.

I'm reasonably happy with the result given the mistake on lap 2, and then the shocker lap 9. My lap times are improving and I think I am finding the right pace now, it's just a matter of keeping the tyres on the car long enough (but I've always struggled with that).

Onto the Forrest!
  14. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

I dont know if something has change in GT5 recently but a simular thing happened in our room last night. I decided to park it as I tried a one stop strat but with 1 and a half laps to go I had zero tread left on the rear lefts so couldnt make it around corners. Anyway I changed my mind and decided to try get back to the pits to see if I could get 1 point.

I was already a lap down so I thought me driving slow around the track wouldnt cause any problems, I was ghosted but as floodsim came around the corner he ran in to my rear. I felt so bad, he didnt go off or anything but it may off slowed him down abit.

Not sure how it happened but yea weird.
  15. sirdave

sirdave New Recruit

Cob, guessing it was me who stuffed you up. I remember coming down the straight a full tilt when car came out of pits. Basically had no where to go and didn't expect car to cut in front. I was ghosted and pretty sure the car coming out of pits spun due to the cold tyres.

Have been trying (not very successfully) to give way to all lapping cars. Problem is when I try to get out of the way it seems to make it worse as I tend to make unexpected moves trying to get out of the way. Also, doesn't seem to be a way to know who is behind you and I made several yields for people who were actualy behind me in the race which made me feel like a loser. I think there is a fine line between giving way and making it worse by going too slow.

Other problem is tyre differences, if I catch someone who has lapped me cause their tyres are shot do I have to slow down for the next few laps and plod along behind them or can I overtake? Was close to Dutch for quite a few laps last night and tried my best to not disturb him but it can be hard for the back markers like me who are obviously not as fast/skilled as the front guys.

One weird thing, I came 10th according to my results but posted results have me 11th, must have been a glitch - I had 12 on my screen.

One question, I still get 1-2 seconds faster times with controller than with my GT wheel. Any tips for improving wheel times? Guessing its the ease you can get from lock to lock which gves me better controller times but I was still miles off the pace last night. I really need to start using manual gearbox.

Might have given Pricey a better run if I hadn't pitted on lap 19 and put softs back on in stead of mediums..doh..I wish you could fix it when you click the wrong option...

I hope it gets better.......
  16. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Unfortunately the map doesn't let you know who is behind you, you need to use your rear view when someone is coming up (obviously not as you are in a corner area but at least on a straight section) which means keeping an eye on the race map. If you look behind and see the name and that person is already ahead of you, yield. If they are behind you on the list, fight :) As Cob said, awareness is the key when racing ;)

You can overtake as you aren't expected to affect your lap (and jeopardise your position) due to people with busted tyres ahead of you. If you can go past clean, do so. But if they catch you up and want to go past, do the polite thing and yield :) Think of it as if they just went off, would you stop to let them back on track?

Don't worry, I was in the exact same position last series in D2, but now I have finally started to learn how to race here and recent results have shown that I am getting there, albeit slowly. It just takes time :)
  17. GTDutch

GTDutch Rookie

PSN ID
    GTP_Dutch
    Great race this round but wasnt feeling confident coming into it. Could barely break the 30's in the short prac id done. Just did enough to figure i could get about 7-8 laps on the softs. not sure where im losing the time to the div 2 and 3 guys...

So my qualy lap was the quickest lap id had so far. Sorry turbo. ;)

Lap 1 head to head with turbo down the straight, nothing in it. Take a nivce outside line giving turbo room but keep the lead. Turbo right with me with a bit of a gap behind him to dan so he could concentrate on fighting me. Nice pressure. Got a bit of a break by the hairpins but not enough to avoid the overtake turbo on the outside at turn 1 to take the lead.

Turbo a bit over the place lap 2 and i may have given a few little taps in t5 and 6 and 7. sorry mate. Now a little gap back to dan who was occupied with evil and was concentrating on sticking with turbo for the draft. Was a bit far behind him through the hairpins thought but coming around onto the straight i see him a bit choppy and eventually hes smoking off onto the grass. Was a pity cause we would have had a close fight, and one that dan and evil would have soon joined. would have made for a great race. But i now concentrated on getting away from the constant fight behind me. Gap 2 sec

Lap 5 gap up to 3.5s, their fight really helping me out.

I pull about a half sec a lap from them and pitted end of lap 8 to reenter in 7 behind brew. Pass brew at the start of back straight on my fresher mediums up the inside. Turbo not too far ahead but hes on near dead softs and we both get past at the hairpins. Gary dan and evil pits and im into 2nd on lap 10 behind cobb and gap up to 6 sec to evil.

Cob ahead but I knew he had to pit soon. Start of lap 13 pass cobb in the pits and im in the lead by 9 s to dan still fighting close with evil. you guys certinly did it the hard way! Lap 16 lead still 9.5 sec and i am impressed of their speed while racing each other. Still slightly quicker per lap and am about 11s in the lead by lap 18. But have brain fade at the turn before hairpins on lap 18 and come in way too deep. Head off on the grass slowly, and then again lose control exiting second hairpin and then the next corner as well losing a chunk of time, dave repasses me.. End of lap 18 dan is 3 s behind! Im held up by dave mid track a little wanting to make a clean pass, my heart pounding with dan right behind. I decide to pit for new mediums and to collect my head.

Undercut evil next lap who looked to have a troubling lap behind dan and pricey. Next lap streamed down the straight to regain lead with again a nice comforting lap of 5.5s. But wasnt getting away this time with dan having made a break from evil and the gap hovers around ,4.5 to 5.5 till lap 27 when dan had a moment coming onto the straight and evil took over. Buffer now a much more comfortable 6.5s and no need to worry about the draft. Took it easy from there to win by just under 6.

Once again, well done guys behind me with the race long battle, your pace was amazing in those circumstances. If it wasnt for the loneliness at the end of my second stint and the consequent brain fade the gap would have been bigger but its about time i made a mistake like that during the race- i was certainly due!

Not racing next round unfortunately as I will be away so have a great battle.
  18. Bluemoon

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    Yes, you will have to use the rear view mode. Not sure if there's a button mapped to it by default on a controller. R1/L1?

You should be 11th, with Pricey in 10th and stevisaa in 12th.
  19. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    Hey Dave.
    it seems your having a couple of problem with some lapping cars and try to find out if u should yield your spot or not...
    i had the same problem when i first got GT5 about a year ago. hope you don't mind if i give u a tip or two.

1st thing
    is make sure you have driver list on (in top right of screen this also help you make sure you can SEE EVERY1 on track and in the room)
    2ndly
    your sector/lap time counter/s (in the middle of your screen can help ya out heaps too)
    Once that sector time get up pretty high in the red that when u should start worrying about yielding ur track position...
    (so if the single lap time is 1.30.000 and the red time is reading 1.20.000, the leader is 10secs behind you on the track)
    3rdly
    try to take note of the color of the faster boys car in the room that way no reading is needed to know who is coming up or who is behind u on track, when ya look..
    (it can be hard sometimes with some boys running the same color, that's when u read the name)
    and found the best way to let lapping car past is to just lift off the throttle for a little bit in the straights, still try to be keep most momentum up so you stay racey.
    if your in a tight corner they will just have to wait, if your in a wide open corner just move a little off racing line so they can past you.
    4th
    i think i have my mini map on 4. and found that if i have a car behind me is not on my mini map i have about 3 to 3.5secs of track between us.
    lastly
    remember you have the right fight and defend the fastest guy on track to stop from going a lap down.
    ^^^ this last thing i'm not too sure on if it is right or not.... Maybe one of the MODERATORS can give a clear answer on this!!!

i hope is helps ya out and makes ya racing here a lot less stressful and heap more rewarding.
    keep trying m8 you'll get there, if ya ever get stuck and need a hand just ask m8 ;)

Aussie...
  20. GTDutch

GTDutch Rookie

PSN ID
    GTP_Dutch
    Im not sure about this either as i thought it would be a blue flag situation. Dave, for what its worth, i think you did a good job of leaving room at the hairpins for me to get past you the first time when i thought i was clearly faster and i think thats the right way to do it. But then theres the difficult situation that many of us have been in when you are catching the leaders draft soon after and you could easily pass them on the straight and you have to lift off so much so as to not pass them Not a great feeling and ultimately kind of ruins your race iof you are then being held up by the leader. And while you kept the prssure on into turn 1, you allowed me the racing line without affecting either of us into the turn (i think). But yeah, i think you shouldnt be allowed to keep fighting with the leader in such a situation.

But later when i made a mistake, you were still close enough to capatalise on it and unlap yourself and thats why i wanted to pass you cleanly the next time as it was my mistake/go slow that resulted in you unlapping yourself and i felt you didnt need to do it again to further undermine your race pace. I cant recall how i passed you the second time but i dont think you did anything wrong. It was just the situation of you being in the position of taking advantage of my mistakes.

But i think the general rule would be to not put every effort into defending the position against being lapped, the result being- holding up the leader who is ultimately in a different race. If the leader isnt significantly faster than the one being lapped (i.e holding a 1.5s gap for a while) without being hounded at the racing line every corner, then he should be able to keep up his pace until thats no longer the case and then realise that the blue flag rule applies.

Would appreciate mod input and others. Its a fine line sometimes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.