Cockpit Hyperdrive cockpit

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by millhouse_eg6, Jan 11, 2014.

1. millhouse_eg6

millhouse_eg6 New Recruit

Hi peeps!!...thinking if getting the hyperdrive cockpit from Harvey Norman. Just wonder if anyone uses this and maybe can tell me pros and cons..... I can't really get a big rig cause if the lounge room space I have cause the wife is already pissed off cause my other hobby is taking over the lounge room...fishtanks!..lol I need some thing that is easy to store away. Any recommendation will be a great help!!...thanks
  2. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Ok dude it's like this,
    Pros: in stock form not many
    Cons: in stock form
    Poor seating position your ass is nearly on the floor henceforth everything else is above you (pedals, steering wheel in your eye line if you wish to be able to reach it.
    Seat itself is just a plastic chair ( the ones like we had at school after they got rid of the wooden ones, showing my age a bit there) and at a bad angle to try and achieve any sort of comfort.
    Poor stability, it's about as solid as a wet sponge due to its design, the seat is supposed to adjusted via a strap which broke immediately and the thing wobbles about likes it's got Parkinson's while you are driving.
    It's not really going to save you any space over other rigs the footprint is approx 1500 x 460 and it's not that easy to move around due to its flimsy construction.
    How do I know all this? I have one, I got it cheap about $100 if I remember correctly however mine has been extensively fettled, strengthened, customised to make it acceptable it is now at what I call the Mk V stage and it's now pretty good, with a SAAS racing seat, extra bracing, side mount table for shifter and beer.
    So, my personal recommendation, unless you're prepared to spend many hours pondering, musing, debating and figuring out how to make the thing acceptable for actual driving....... Run away, run far and run fast.
    If space is an issue I would check out our sponsors they have got a pretty neat wheel stand available that looks like a quality item.

Cheers
    KoAStR and Stumbles like this.
  3. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    If space is an issue and you have strong arms: http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/ne...-stand-for-g27-g25-t500-rs-fanatec-wheel.html

If you have less powerful arms: https://www.gamesmen.com.au/catalog...-27779.html?osCsid=1k2dcncv5aq4n1313mbds18nf4

The first is much more stable, but very heavy with wheel fitted and you need a big cupboard in which to store it. The Rennsport can be stored away in a normal cupboard and doesn't require a warm up before trying to move it. Both these options will keep her indoors happy until she gets used to your addiction and allows you to get one of these: http://www.cxcsimulations.com/products/motion-pro/
  4. millhouse_eg6

Thanks guys!!!... I went to Harvey Norman today and checked out!...not impress at all!!!! Your right cob it's very flimsy!!!....I did ran away!!...lol...thanks Anon I think I might go with the pagnian!... Thanks again guys!!!
  5. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Make sure you mention Raceonoz, might get some discount.
  6. millhouse_eg6

S
    Sweet!!.thanks
  7. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
  8. millhouse_eg6

Clevohead likes this.
  9. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Where are you at millhouse? I have upgraded to the Pagnian unit that Anon posted, but I still have my old Hyperdrive setup in storage. You are welcome to give it a go if you would like to try?

I am in Adelaide.
  10. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Here are some reviews for your information, main gripe, was lack of lumbar support, but they remedied that with some foam under the seat cover.

11. millhouse_eg6

Thanks Gary but I'm in Brisbane...
  12. millhouse_eg6

Tha
    . Thanks clevo!!!
    Clevohead likes this.
  13. millhouse_eg6

Picked up a next level extreme with wheel and three game games for $375!!....woooohhhoooo
    stucar17, DekGT5mad, KoAStR and 4 others like this.
  14. Rypien

Rypien New Recruit

PSN ID
    Rypien
    I still own an old Hyperdrive raceframe and have found it to be a respectable budget frame, and with a few simple mods can be a pretty respectable rig. Its cheap, so in stock form of course its not that comfortable and does not have a very good driving position (basically its crap in stock form). But its a good starting point, and by adding a proper race seat of your own choosing and some simple added bracing on the steering poles you can have a solid frame at a fraction of the price of some items you see online.

I've used mine heavily for years with a variety of wheels and had no problems. Its easy to move around (even with the added race seat mod), and will not break. Its definately not a high end unit, but for a small price and some added parts you can get good bang for your buck.

Mines still cranking along.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  15. PurpleDog

PurpleDog Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    PurpleDog
    I have the full HyperDrive setup. Good rig for my G27, but heavy and certainly not compact. Pisses the wife off no end in the lounge room.

The Dog.
  16. Rypien

Rypien New Recruit

PSN ID
    Rypien
    I find the Hyperdrive (even when loaded with wheel and pedals) to be one of the lightest rigs you can get. Can't think of any other full rigs that come close to being as light. As far as being compact, it takes up no more room than other rigs on the market and i can fold mine in a bit and get it under a table for storage.

All rigs take up room and are not easily designed to be put away, but overall this budget rig is no more of a hassle than any other that i can think of.

btw - i know the feeling of having a missus who gets peeved at simulator set ups in the lounge room from time to time.