AC Idea: Alternative way to share AC Skins

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Pete, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete Rookie

The other day I started grabbing the skins from the media fire location and since I don't have a paid account for media fire I have to a few links to downloaded a single file. I get bored easily so I find that annoying :) so I started wondering if there was a better way to do this.

There is a way to have a shared sync folder, where the files are automatically updated to. Then you would just have to copy from there into the right place in AC. There is a "catch" which I will go into later.

What I am wondering is if this idea is worth looking into more.

So I started looking into BTSync.
    Get it here: http://www.getsync.com/
    A little background reading, here (less technical) and here (more technical).

I'll assume you didn't read the links and are still wondering what this is.
    BTSync is advertised as server-less Dropbox. This means that you don’t have to upload your files to a third party server to sync them between devices.
    But the catch is that both devices need to be online when syncing between two devices.

I tested things out with more than two. I tried it out when A starts a share, then B and C join that share.
    Then I took A offline. B and C where still able to sync files between each other. When A comes back online it gets the updates from both B and C.
    As that number grows you might see where it can get a bit hard to know exactly when you have all the latest files. The way around that is to have something online all the time that gets all updates.

I don't really know the arrangements for web servers and such. But it is possible to get server hosting for 1USD per month (https://www.atlantic.net/vps/vps-hosting/) which I would be happy to pay for if it turns out to be useful.

It's not that I a trying to get around having a server. More about having the files "just appear" so I can quickly put them into AC before a race.

I hope all that makes sense.
    What do people think, good idea or not?
    Anon666 likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete Rookie

I just thought an example might be easier to follow.
    1. Get btsync http://www.getsync.com/
    2. Once you have it installed, find the settings button (little cog) and click this "Enter Key" item
    3. Copy past in: https://link.getsync.com/#f=Rooz AC...CD5HRXIWDLVUT63G74HMQIJRCTRZJL2W&e=1425185780
    4. Select where you want the files to go I choose to create a folder ...\Download\Rooz AC Sync
    5. Watch the sync'ing begin.
    The link in step 3 will be active for 7 days. I have a server sitting there so it will work all the time, I will leave that up until Tuesday.
    The files on here will be the Ferrari skins that I manually mirror from media fire. THESE AREN'T THE OFFICAL ONES STILL USE MEDIAFIRE
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Interesting. If we used the correct sub-folder syntax and structure you could sync it directly to your AC folders.
    It would be kind of like tradingpaints was for iRacing.
  4. Pete

Pete Rookie

Yeah I thought about syncing straight into AC but I thought it might be a little dangerous. If someone messed up the folder structure then it could break everyones AC. Plus we would have to make sure only the right people have access to the share (ie only people who aren members). I don't know anything about trainingpaints or if they handled security i some way. It wouldn't be to hard to make a script to try and control things. Being able to some how subscribe to cars and tracks that are WIP or have release updates would be handy (not having to keep checking race department)

But feel free to add any folders you want in there.

I haven't started looking into scripting for AC but I would love something that could automatic get skins from a server.
  5. TheStig13

TheStig13 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    thestig-13
    Pete likes this.
  6. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

This looks promising. Dld'ing individual skins is too much effort. ..:(
  7. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    You don't have to download individual skins at the moment. In the media fire portal, go into the car subfolder you are after and there is a green button up near the top right hand side "download folder". That will give you all the skins in the folder in one hit. If you do that close enough to race day that should be it... otherwise you might have to grab a late one individually.

EDIT apparently this only works if you have a paid mediafire account. Sorry for the bum steer. :confused:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  8. Driftoz

Driftoz Team Driver Gold Member

it would be awesome if AC could read zipped up skin files so we dont have to unzip each one separately
  9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  10. Pete

Pete Rookie

I think I have got it.

1. Use bt sync to mirror the AC folder structure for just the skins to cars. To be clear this would look like E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\*\skins (None of the files would be zip'ed).
    2. Using SyncToy (From micro$oft) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155 Set it up to sync from the btsync folder to the AC folder. It has a mode called "contribute" which "New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions" (left is the btsync folder, right is the AC folder).
    3. Right a little script to just run the Sync setup in step 2 (once everyone is comfortable with it).

The good thing about the SynToy gui is when you run it you see the files that will come across and it is really simple to understand.

It is also safe and won't change any of the original game files.

It should reduce the whole thing to a click, wait, click, wait process.

I can write up some instructions on Saturday if there are a few people to help me test it all out.
  11. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Sync toy is great I use it regularly.