ROOZ NEWS Season 15 Rd 2 Laguna Seca (part 1)

Discussion in 'Archived News' started by Ad2mny, May 25, 2014.

1. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    [​IMG]

Welcome to round 2 of our League races, coming to you live but on delay from sunny Laguna Seca. Plenty of concern this week from our drivers regarding the severeness of the sand traps here, which once you're in, is a real struggle to quickly exit. The dreaded Corkscrew also held some menace, but was for the most part not as much of a problem for the drivers. Also it was the first official use of the new, F1 style start lights. They caught many out (myself included) but adds more to the realism and takes away the advantage of being able to time the start.

[​IMG]

Well let's see what happened. This part will contain as always the Division 1 and 2 reports.

Let's hear from Jono (N64TheStig007), bringing you Division 1.

It's Round 2 of the second GT6 season at ROOZ, and the drivers flew to California, to tackle the complex Laguna Seca circuit, one which would catch many of ROOZ's top drivers out and turn them in to novices. The event would see the debut of a new 5 lights start procedure, replacing the obsolete 3, 2, 1 start.

[​IMG]

MINT brilliantly secured pole ahead of Warrior and Mustafur, and duly led away off the line. He held a one second gap over the pair, and looked the goods. Meanwhile, fastboy and N64 made meals of their first laps, both losing positions after making great starts.

[​IMG]

The top 6 of Mint, warrior, Mustafur, Anon, Zampli and Optimus were well clear of the rest of the field by lap 3. Holland was having a dreadful time, and instigated an incident at the Corkscrew with mik and N64, which left mik miles behind and rightfully annoyed.

[​IMG]

Still no change in position to the top 7 at the end of lap 6, the biggest battle was between Zampli and Optimus for 5th place. They battled nose to tail in a fantastic duel up until lap 10, where Anon had a scary moment just before the Corkscrew, and slotted into the now rather large gap, due to Optimus braking too late at the Andretti Hairpin. By this stage, Holland had rage quit. The field was well spread out apart from the top 3, and mik and N64 were locked into a not so exciting battle for last.

[​IMG]

The latter made yet more mistakes, and was duly lapped before the halfway stage. Mik had had enough of the calamities and parked up. Zampli had lost 2 positions on the ultra fast left hand kink, and fell to 7th on lap 14. He lost it again at the bottom of the Corkscrew 2 laps later, now in 8th.

After 17 laps, it was Mint from Warrior, then Mustafur, from Anon and Optimus, then Cyber and fastboy. Behind them was Zampl on his own. Miles behind was thestig-13, even further was N64 and the parked up Mik.

[​IMG]

On lap 22, warrior dropped Mustafur, and began to close in on Mint. Crazily, Mustafur decided to pit, falling way back into 7th How was he going to win the race from here? With fresh tyres, he was easily the fastest man on the circuit. There was still little change on the hard to pass circuit, apart from Mustafur passing Cyber and fastboy for 5th. Come lap 29, and warrior is piling on the pressure. Mint runs wide at turn 3 and warrior leads! Say no more, shut the gates, he was gone like a gazelle. Elsewhere Zampli had disconnected out of 8th place.

[​IMG]

Mustafur made light work of Optimus, but with 3 laps left, a podium has slipped away. Or so it seemed. The usually guile Anon had made a few too many errors. Mustafur sling shotted past him on the final lap by 2 tenths of a second to gain an amazing 3rd place and the fastest lap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So another immaculate performance from warrior sees him take another victory, in front of Mint who will be ruing running wide and giving away victory. Optimus, fastboy and Cyber each had quiet races for 5th, 6th and 7th. thestig-13 came home 8th, while N64 certainly did not deserve 2 points for 9th, this reporter is expecting a far greater result at the next event.

[​IMG]

RACE QUOTES:

I was fortunate to speak to the some of the drivers after the race, here is what they had to say:

warrior2167 (1st): Thanks fellas, well done mint for driving a very professional race. We both were pushing very hard and any small error would have lost the race for both of us. Also great lap in qualifying, beat me by 3 thousandths, 1:16.175 v 1:16.178. Mustafur was on fire with his fresh rubber, well done for getting fastest lap as every point counts. We knew it would be difficult to pass here, so qualifying was more important, I was holding 1st until being pipped by mint in the final minute. Second was still a good place to start and I had a decent launch as the lights went. The early laps were a bit hairy with the colder rubber, but I was still able to hold on to 2nd resisting the pressure being applied from mustafur, from there the race was about getting into a rhythm and to not let mint get too far ahead. Halfway through the gap had stretched to mint to 2.5 seconds, so I had to give it everything to close it back down. By lap 29 I brought the gap down to less than a second, but I didn't think I could I could pass mint as he was not making any mistakes and was strong in every corner until he run wide on the exit of turn 3, allowing me to move ahead by turn 4 and from there I just had to keep my composure until the finish.

MINT_GTR (2nd): Came into this round very hopeful for a good result as Laguna is the strongest track for me this season. Qualifying came down to the wire again, with leaving it to the last lap. I new I was very strong in the last sector so fortunately was able to put the rest of the lap together to secure my first pole. I was ecstatic as Laguna is a very hard place to pass. Race went to plan at the start, was able to consolidate the start and then fall into a good rhythm with not too much pressure from warrior behind. Towards the end, got a little sloppy for a lap and in a blink, warrior was on my heels. I was oddly still comfortable with him on my tail as I felt I could still hold for the win. A few laps later, I ran slightly wide at corner 3 and gifted an easy pass for the lead. After regathering, tried to push for the remaining laps but the damage was done. Crossed the line in 2nd with mixed emotions but overall pleased with a strong performance at a tough track. Congratulations to warrior once again, you applied pressure from start to finish and was able to make the most of the opportunity from my one mistake in the race, well deserved win :) Well done to mustafur for rounding out the podium with a blistering finish on fresh tyres.

Mustafur (3rd): Well my race was very interesting, I managed to qualify 3rd 2 tenths off Mint and I felt I could get more out of that time in the race as I was a little rusty having not practiced since Monday. The race was a procession for quite a few laps as mint was leading I was behind warrior and anon behind me, we were all going back and forward each lap as the unpredictable Mclaren was proving quite a handful here and we all knew a slight off track excursion would be a race ruiner. Anon was the first to have a spin which sent him quite a way back and took a bit of pressure off me while I was following warrior, then at about lap 20 I started dropping back a bit as I was chewing my front right too much especially in the last sector. On Lap 23 I under steered after the corkscrew and went into the sand costing me about 8 seconds at that point I thought it would be worth pitting and having an attempt that way since not pitting was only going to net me 3rd at best by that stage. Unfortunately I seemed to think a pit stop was going to be about 20 seconds when in reality it was about 30 (watching too much F1), came out of the pits 40 seconds behind and dropped from 3rd to 7th a bit behind Cyber. The grip was quite a huge difference and allowed me to fly at cyber and go straight to attacking the position, he held up quite a fight for a lap but I was able to get by then went after fastboy. Luckily for me this overtake went quickly and swiftly as I was able to get lots of speed through the 2 high speed corners after the corkscrew which allowed me to put a dive on him on the last corner, he got a better exit but had no where to pass as my car was in the way. Then just up the road was Optimus, with the grippy tyres it allowed me to get huge speed out of the last corner allowing me to be right on anyone up the main straight, Optimus went wide on T1 after slightly braking too late and it allowed me to go on the inside and nip the position. By this stage I thought catching anon in 3 laps was going to be impossible as he was about 8 or so seconds up the road but he made a mistake on the 2nd last lap which just happened to leave a gap that gave me one shot if I nailed the last lap, I managed to catch about 2 or 3 seconds on him on the last lap as I gave it everything I couldn't even see him exiting the corkscrew but I was right on him by the last corner as was the massive speed difference which fresh rubber, I did an extreme engine brake to 1 st gear which rotated the car in the right direction then put it 2nd and floored it and with the gripper tyres gave me a slightly better run to the line which allowed me to take 3rd right on the line. Very satisfying race and I don't regret pitting since the result ended the same except it was much more fun, felt like Webber at shanghai in 2011.
    Anon666 (4th): WD Warrior again. Mint had awesome pace tonight as well. Mus went for a pitstop and I thought, could get a podium here. Ran off the track second last lap and got pipped on the line. Too many mistakes from me to be competitive, pretty happy to finish that high up.

OptimusAteMyBaby (5th): Couldn't get a good lap in qualifying started 8th, Holland let go of brakes before the lights went out so i made it to 6th by the first corner, zampli right in front of me for about 15 laps was a great piece of clean fast close racing with zamp before I understeered offline from late braking (gotta love when your braking point has been knocked off the side of the track) held fifth until the end after zamp dropped out, Cyber was keeping me awake with pressure from 6th each time I'd try save some tread he'd be right behind, great fun racing with you guys, the top three are incredible drivers fast mistake free driving it's impressive, very happy with 5th place.

Fastboysmith (6th): Try to not make mistakes and bin it on the first lap. Then the second again, then have a run in with Dan on the 3rd lap giving me a penalty but had no where to go. Glad he went off after that hit because I wasn't overly happy about it. But what can you do he didn't look like he was in control at that point. Good solid 6th but could have been a podium if I didn't muff it.

N64TheStig007 (9th):
    I predicted I'd have an awful race, and sure enough, I was right! Just horrible. The top 3 are on another level, it's very easy to run out of superlatives to describe their skills! *I did a 1:17.431 on my final lap, not that it makes any difference lol.

So, once again, Laguna Seca played host to a race with a car that is much too powerful for the track, but showed us who the real deal are. Only the best of the best would prevail, and so they did. Warrior now has a great lead in the championship, but there is a high level of doubt that he'll win the rest. Mint is getting better every race, and will make warrior work for the title, as will Mustafur when he is on it. That's all from California, see you next time!

Cheers, Jono.

Nice work there Jono, and thanks to warrior2167 for the pictures. Well done warrior2167 too for the win, and to MINT_GTR with Mustafur finishing off the podium.

Now on to Division 2. Here is Greasy07.

Here we are for today's race in sunny Salinas California USA at the relentless Laguna Seca Raceway. After some of the drivers set quick times in the practice run, qualifying was a different story all together with Faine taking pole from Stuart and Greasy starting in 3rd.

[​IMG]

Around in to the Corkscrew for the first time, Faine out braked himself only to return back to the track in ghost and becoming solid once again in front of Stuart, resulting in Stuart going off into turn 9 giving the lead to Greasy at the end of lap one.

[​IMG]

Greasy and Faine started to stretch their lead over the others. On lap 6 Faine got by Greasy, taking the lead from him.

[​IMG]

Mid pack was fighting it out making some fun and exciting battles amongst several drivers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Faine made a pit stop, Greasy and Firewind were left to fight it out until Greasy ran it out wide on turn 11 giving Firewind the lead. Crunch, who was a back marker lost it coming out turn 4, and placing his car right in the path of Firewind, resulting in both drivers going off road and giving the lead back to Greasy with only 6 laps to run.

[​IMG]

Faine now on fresh tires, got by Firewind then Greasy with only 2 laps remaining, leaving the two to fight it out for 2nd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well done to Faine, going over the line in first, 7 seconds in front of Greasy and Firewind taking the last of the podium positions.

RESULTS: POLE Faine 1:17:0##

RACE
    1. Faine
    2. Greasy
    3. Firewind
    4. TB
    5. Razor
    6. Cob
    7. Motorsports 560
    8. stu
    9. leeboy
    10. comeondgetme
    11. crunch
    12. Jim_aka_theman
    13. natman
    14. FRZN - Joeninety DNS

FASTEST LAP
    1:16:709 leeboy

[​IMG]

RACE QUOTES:

F1R3W1ND (3rd): Well the new lights got me at the beginning got penalty and dropped back to 10th or something I drove my ass off to get up the front had good battles with everyone on the way all good racing thanks guys. Got to the front mainly coz faine pit???? Dont know why? Had the lead was creeping away 4 laps to go and I caught a back marker did he get out of the way? No he got in my way slowing me up he couldn't even hold his lines. Let me past i thought what r u doing???? No then he spins up ahead o :):):):) I tried to avoid but t-boned him sending me of the track costing me the lead and the win depending on what would have happened when faine caught up but we will never know!!!!!!!! So pissed off !!!!!
    IF UR GOING TO BE LAPpED GET THE *%#$@ OUTTA THE WAY FOR GOD SAKE WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Other than that good race.

t_b_williams (4th): Have to say I'm happy/surprised with my result for this race. I couldn't get any where near the times guys were setting in practice leading up to this round. During the race is the first time I got into the 17's. But only just. Qualified 8th, was hoping to be a little higher but knew I wouldn't be up the front. First two laps were hectic with everyone so close and battling for position. Sorry to Razor for the bump/ing (was more than one) into the hairpin on lap 2. Stuck my nose up the inside but couldn't get up far enough before the second apex when you turned in. Tried to stay out of your door but was getting lightly tagged myself (no idea who, but not worried). That dropped me back to 9th? After making a few spots off the line with a few getting caught out with the lights. After that, most of my journey forward was due to people falling away in front of me.

razor4797 (5th): Coming into this round, I was very worried. I had seen some of the times you guys were setting and they were much quicker than mine. Plus I'm sick as a dog... Anyways; I qualified horribly. 9th. Decent start, 7th into the first corner. For the first half of the race I hung in the middle pack, around 6th. A costly spin set me back nearly 8 seconds, so I knew with about 10 laps remaining, I had to put the foot down (the thumb in my case lol).
    I made up the gap, passed Motorsports560 with 5 to go and set off for Stu and Cob. On the 2nd last lap, Stu, Cob and I were separated by less than a second. Stu spun on the run up to the corkscrew which gifted me 6th place. I managed to squeeze past Cob in sector 2 on the final lap and I kept the McLaren ahead to keep 5th position. 34 laps of push and shove. But that's racing! I guess I am pretty happy with the result, considering I would have lost at least 10 seconds just from my stupid mistakes. Nevertheless, a thoroughly enjoyable 2nd round of the season. Well done to Faine, GREASY and F1R3W1ND for the podium places. You guys were mighty fast. Thanks again for the fun. See you all next week!

CobMcCool (6th): Usual crap in this car, get myself in a good position avoiding all the early race shenanigans but just don't have the pace to stay there and get hunted down by everyone, same as race one, tried to let fire through without dropping any speed but only succeeded in sending myself off briefly, I can't get this tyre chewing POS to move. I'll also say this if you are noticeably quicker earlier in the race I'll probably let you through, however in the last 5 - 8 laps you'll have find a way past and go the long way round, razor did last night pretty well, but please leave my butt alone really don't like being drilled in the arse. My name is CobMcCool not Ricky Martin. Cheers. (edit: LOL)

stuart170773 (8th): Good job lads, just watched the replay and there was a lot of willing racing !! My night went pear shaped at the cork screw on lap 1 trying to avoid faine who had out braked himself, got swamped and was in the pack after qualifying 2nd. After that had some good battles with 560 and razor with stupid mistakes costing me a higher position. I think with 6 laps to go I had fought back to be fighting for 5th with TB, but I ran out of talent and followed him off track spinning, which cost me 2 spots, then another stupid mistake with 1 to go cost me another ..... Thank god for the drop round!

COME_AND_GET_ME7 (10th): Well what a race to forget..... A 1:16.660 in practice then couldn't put anything better than a 1:20.8 together in the 10 min qually session so I started in 12th. Managed to make up 3 or so spots up going in to turn 1. Then got stuck at the back of the big mid pack and just couldn't simply find any sort of rhythm following them and mistake after mistake happened..... I was down in 9th some way back from the middle pack and I knew from the start there was no way I was getting across the line on one set. So I decided to pit and simply try set the fastest lap. Unfortunately as it turned out I wasn't the only one who decided to pit and while my 1:16.9 held up for quite a few laps it was eventually bettered by a couple of thousandths by faine and later smashed by lee. Apologies to TB for getting in your way after my spin coming up to the corkscrew, I was trying to guess which way you'd go turns out I chose the wrong way. Also to those I even bothered to battle in the latter stages a lap down on fresh rubber before coming to my senses and easing off to ensure I wouldn't get in the way with any fighting for position.
    Well done Faine for pole and the win. Congratulations also to Greasy07 and F1R3W1ND for the final podium positions.

Stay tuned for part 2.

Division 1 Reporter: Jono (N64TheStig007) Photographer: warrior2167
    Division 2 Reporter/Photographer: Greasy07
    Division 2 Contributer: Stuart (stuart170773)
    Tables: DRZ-Hatfield
    Editor: Jamie (Ad2mny)
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    Mustafur, Stumbles, Anon666 and 3 others like this.
  2. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Excellent Report as always!
    JonoStan96 and Ad2mny like this.
  3. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Cheers mate :)