Saeson 10 tire model discussion and poll

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    With so many variables available to us i thought i would set this up to be a bit more specific on the tire model wanted for next season.

Fingers crossed PD dont go bending us over again like they did season 9......

With so many variables i want to get an idea of what people want so we can avoid the mess that was this season........

I can narrow id down to a few options in a few weeks.

Please put forward your thoughts remembering everyone is entitled to an opinion !.......and we want the simplest / best for racing option !

Cheers
    stu
  2. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Getting the tyre to last 85% when pushed and the whole race when looked after would be awesome but it will be hard to get right, looks like we will be in for some epic test sessions if it goes that way which I hope it dose
  3. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Would've been so much easier if PD had given us a slider for tyre/fuel adjustment (similar to the time change adjustment), instead of 4 hard settings.
  4. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    I'm thinking more along the lines of 87% race distance.......... :p:lol:
  5. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Bite me turbo !!!!! lol
  6. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    I can see the argument for having the option of 1 tyre to last 85% of the race or conserve and last the whole race and not pit, but I think we are forgetting that a pit stop would be inevitable due to the fuel burn basically rendering this option as a 1 tyre - 1 stop series.

I reckon we have got it right in the current series, it mixes things up a bit while bringing it all back together at the end and allows drivers with different strengths to take advantage of what suits them (i.e. at the last round at tokyo I seemed to be better on the hard tyre(my fastest lap on the softs was nearly 2 seconds off the fastest lap of the race) while nugget was much better on the soft tyre, overtook me on the last lap an bagged the win by 0.2 of a second) different strengths on different tyres and still super close.

Just a thought

Cheers
  7. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Good points cob.

With bigger grids too it will be a good way to go.

My only concern is the way the pit option screen works and the amount of time to get it sorted. Neverenough had issues where he was rushed and clicked ok and that was his race over because he selected the wrong tires......This is one of the most frustrating things in the game IMO.

Perhaps for next season we look at the penalty being different for the wrong tire selection, Like a 10 sec penalty added to the race time, rather than a DSQ. At the time to pit, and it will put you towards the rear, but drivers might still be able to salvage something.
  8. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Yeah, I totally understand that, I was absolutely killing it at le sarthe and did the same thing (actually I have done this numerous times a couple in the old DTM series come to mind) where you caught me coming out of the pits was actually my second stop in as many laps to rectify that I didn't change tyres (I should have been long gone up the road) which blew my whole race because of the extra stop and my strategy got messed up causing me to run out of fuel just short of the pits on my last stop. So I did 4 stops instead of 3 and ran out of fuel.... I absolutely trashed that one.
    But I (stupidly) did it to myself, and mistakes do happen in racing on the track and in the pits.(not saying that never was stupid at all, just saying it's not an isolated incident) yes it is a bit of a pain and it's not ideal but it's what's there at the moment, now I just think of it as one more detail to get right to have a good race (to tell the truth I've actually put a post-it note next to the controller buttons that I use during pit stops that says "CHANGE TYRES NUMPTY")

Cheers

ninja wally out
  9. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Haha yea.. i did a v8SC race the other day with Bones and Neish (iRacing). I didn't take on enough fuel at the pitstop. At about lap 28/38 I realised I was going to be a couple of laps short at my current burn rate so started fuel saving like crazy. Lost my opportunity to challenge and re-take 3rd who undercut me at the pit... fortunately the next drive was 20s or so back down the road.

I spluttered around the final turn and started cursing as I watched the 20s gap get decimated. It came down to tenths as I limped across the line completely dry... to my surprise I retained 4th :p
    I had an incling in the pits my selection wasn't going to be enough and hovered over the increase fuel button, but hesitated. Lesson learned.
  10. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    i went into pits last race and it would only allow me 13 litres and i tried to get more and could not
  11. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    All good cob, we will have the discussion and see where it leads.
  12. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    One way around the fuel burn issue for season 10, we can go the "normal" burn rather than "fast", tyres will last longer and fuel shouldn't be a problem, just have to test which tyres then last 85% when going flat-out.
  13. hsv_butters

hsv_butters Ash Gold Member

PSN ID
    hsv_butters
    I'm not too fussed about the tire decision. I personally like the current model with fuel/tire burn rates, it adds more strategy into the racing; if you push too hard you'll burn your tires and might need 2 stops to complete the race.

Just my 2c.
  14. Barra333

Barra333 Rookie

PSN ID
    barra333
    I like the idea of tyre management and deciding to go hard and pit, or go easy and stay out, but have decided Im not a massive fan of the two compounds.
    I has led to some close finishes, but I have found that there is more lonely driving than when there is only one compound. Most of the overtaking is one driver sailing past the other on a different strategy, so while the fastest driver is still winning, everyone is arriving at the end by different means. Hope that makes sense.
  15. natmanscoop

natmanscoop Professional Gold Member

Absolutely hear what you're saying Barra - my Monza win was accomplished only passing 2 people on the same tyre.
    HOWEVER - I had to pass everyone in the entire field to get to the front, which is still a challenge not losing time.

Stu ran the opposite strategy at the Burger-Ring, and yeah - circulated out-front by himself the entire race.
    Not sure if he planned on it going down that way, but I think if someone plots & strategises to run solo, so be it.

I enjoy the wheel-to-wheel just as much as the strategy & chasing/being chased down at the end. I think they're both Ace!

The hard part will be selecting the right combo of tyre/fuel depletion speed (new feature) and tyre compound(s).
    Good thing there's over a month to test & tune the regs eh? ;)
  16. zampli

zampli Team Driver

I always switch my mind lol, but at the moment, I'm for one compound per race. When we used 2 compounds in the Camaros, it seemed simpler. Don't know if thats just a psychological thing or lapse of memory, but I haven't liked it as much as that or even last season.
    Last season just seemed more focused on the racing, rather than strategy. It was pretty obvious what people were going to do i.e. pit around half race distance and not worry about fuel. I enjoyed that but in the end, I don't really care. I haven't put as much prac in this season so that as probably contributed to my view as well.
    Like I said, I'm easy and can help with lots during school holidays.
  17. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    i too liked the setup of S8... it was a simpler time where radio sounded like this (*generic 1930s broadcasting voice*) and $1 got you your weeks food im all for a move back in time
  18. Barra333

Barra333 Rookie

PSN ID
    barra333
    Good points Natman, but there is something not quite as satisfying about blowing through the field on superior tyres. Dont know about anyone else, but when I get caught at 4+ seconds a lap, I more or less move over and get out of the way as not to lose time defending position and screw my own race.
    Having said that, SH-SM or SM-SS model might work because there isn't so much a performance difference as there was RH-RS. To the test track!!!
  19. greendog

greendog Rookie

i think that if we have 2 compounds we need to narrow the gap as u are saying barra even RH and RM would be better then soft and hards or even RS and RM
  20. natmanscoop

natmanscoop Professional Gold Member

The Race/Hard tyre seems alot closer to Sport/Soft than it used to be.. . . .

Who wants to test those 2 against each other ? !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.