AC Web cam face tracking

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Pete, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete Rookie

I stumble upon this in the Assetto Corsa forums http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/webcam-facetracking-tutorial.21822/

What it does is use a web cam to track your face and adjusts the view in assetto corsa and dirty rally (probably others) to where your looking on the screen. I dialed a lot of the settings back so it wasn't to sensitive and it is kind of interesting. I used to use real head motion which takes the position of the wheel to move the view slightly and this is better but can be a bit glitchy to dial in. I have my fov set fairly low so this helps being able to look through apexs. If I get time I will post a video.

I also learned one other thing. When i come out of fast corners onto straights I tuck my head down.:)
    JonoStan96, TheJuzzy and Anon666 like this.
  2. Pete

Pete Rookie

Running Pace Park in Assetto Corsa and trying to learn the track I was finding it hard to spot the apexes. So I gave FaceTrackNoIR another go.
    I grabbed a couple of videos to show what it is like.

Anon666 likes this.
  3. David Brister

David Brister Team Driver

great videos mate, what is the name of the apps u running the dash HUD and the Delta timing, bit like chasing a ghost car, i like that, you can see where u lose or make up time, nice lap time, 49 and i could see cherno with a 46 on your real time dam freak, lol, i have it down to 53's
  4. Pete

Pete Rookie

5. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Nice find Pete. I tried something like this for GT5 but it was pretty poor response and only worked in single player arcade more.

Wow that FOV is tight. I like how it's equally effective at looking up and down in the cockpit. Might have to give this version a go. How did you find you went correcting slides when looking off centre?
  6. Pete

Pete Rookie

Yeah I calculated the fov for my monitor. It is good for accuracy provided you can see or know where apexes are.
    It took a while it get these settings dialled out of the box it is a bit hyperactive and the sensitivity and smoothing need to be taken out, I can send the config I have.
    Correcting slides is interesting provided your looking at a fixed point seeing and feeling initation is ok.
    What I find happens is you shift where you look sometimes this affects my sense of direction. But it is sometimes. I haven't used it enough to figure it out. I suspect it has to do with how much of the car I can see which alters the perception of where the car is.
    I think it is the first video entering the last corner I run a little wide on entry, this was due to loosing the sense of where the car is. Maybe turning off the side to side tracking would help this
  7. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    So do you use this for league nights or just for mucking around?
  8. Pete

Pete Rookie

I do it for learning the track to build up mental picture of it. Sometimes it calibrates perfectly but sometimes its a bit off and becomes annoying. I'll tinker around a bit more with it just because it is interesting and lines up a bit with some of the stuff I do at work.
    Ultimately I'd like to get my projector setup for simracing but that requires cash and planning permission, Hard to do since I am going to be buying a new bike soon.
  9. Confused Serval

Confused Serval Rookie

Not bad, I have TrackIR5 which I use for my combat flight and space sims, works perfect, absolutely amazing in every way except that you have to wear a hat or buy the expensive trackir pro thingy.

I have tried it on AC and all it does was move your view side to side, this looks a bit better with a FOV thing, but I guess its all about what makes your playing experience best.

I personally can't wait for a racing game with good Oculus support, and then to be able to afford such a device!