2015 GT Academy Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mustafur, Apr 15, 2015.

1. MetalGear9493

MetalGear9493 Team Driver

PSN ID
    MetalGear9493
    Happy to grab a 24, but mixed feelings as I was on target for a 24.6 or lower coming up to the fast left before the final chicanes, the lap seemed to unravel from there onwards, ah well!

Edit: I did say above that I wasn't going to attempt another session, but when another 2 japanese knocked me off the podium, I thought I'll put up a fight, thankfully I was rewarded;)
    skywalker and warrior2167 like this.
  2. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

Ffs 1200km tonight lowered my time by .2 but have dropped one spot to 13th. Can do a 25.9 but cant finish the lap off when im up
  3. MetalGear9493

PSN ID
    MetalGear9493
    fastboy are u copying how i and or wolf, run the lap in terms of gear usage? its important
  4. Benjamin J Smith

5. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    I did a quick analysis spurred by this quote: 'Australia also has the 2nd fastest top 10 behind Japan, Super competitive just to get in.'
    -
    ALL STATISTICS ARE AS OF 6:30pm 11/6/15 AEST
    Japan is more competitive cut-off than Australia, even when Japan is taking 60% more drivers to Nats.

Note that GT Academy Europe has guaranteed Race Camp placement and no Nationals at all:
    The quickest cut-off time for any country is Hungary (Europe), where only a 3:24 will get you in you in (they take only one driver to race camp). The quickest cut-off time of non-Europe is Japan - surprise, surprise.

I tried to form a relationship between the fastest times in each region, and the cut-off times in each region, but non-exists.

The largest spread of eligible times going to Nationals is seen in Thailand - 3.8 seconds between fastest and cut-off. The smallest spread is seen in USA - 1.1 seconds. This is impressive, as USA is taking the largest number to Nats (20), and though causation is untested, it can be assumed this spread is small because of being double the population of Japan. Australia has a brilliant showing holding second smallest spread, but with less than 20% of the population of Japan, and less than 10% of population of USA. It's beyond my enthusiasm to plot population a variable against anything, though keep in mind:

Nationals spots:
    USA (20)
    Japan (16)
    Australia (10)

Spread:
    USA (1.1)
    Australia (1.3)
    Japan (1.5)

Population (relative):
    USA
    Japan
    Australia (though refer to percentages previously)

ie. Australia is punching ahead of its weight (for it's population) against Japan, EVEN when National places are meant to be proportional.

There's a HUGE gap in quality drivers to any other country (excluding Europe; I didn't test those countries), with times dropping off dramatically even when matching Australia's national spots (which I posited is proportional to population), which is why India is an INCREDIBLE disappoint all round, with a population more than three times the United States, but the lowest time of all countries, the lowest cut-off of all countries, and a spread nearly double Japan (which I just said was the highest spread of the three top countries above) at 2.9 seconds. To put this into further context- Mexico has 14 Nat spots, (with the largest qualifiers in total 28) and still retains a lower spread than India, and Mexico is a disappointment in times referenced against the number of spots.

Finally - and the reason I started collating - I made a crude 'relative competitive time' for countries by getting the spread and dividing that by the number of people who go to Race Camp in each country.

'Relative competitive time'
    Japan- 3:24.95 (+/- 0.1)
    Hungary- 3:25.00
    Spain- 3:25.26
    Italy-3:25.29
    Australia- 3:25.29 (+/- 0.1)
    United Kingdom- 3:25.79
    Poland- 3:25.82
    France-3:25.93
    USA- 3:25.93 (+/- 0.1)
    Germany- 3:26.02
    Netherlands- 3:26.07
    Portugal- 3:26.13
    Turkey- 3:26.23 (+/- 0.1)
    Belgium/Luxembourg- 3:26.48
    Czech Republic- 3:26.48
    Thailand- 3:26.74 (+/- 0.1)
    Indonesia- 3:26.79 (+/- 0.1)
    Mexico- 3:26.99 (+/- 0.1)
    India- 3:27.47 (+/- 0.1)

Keen eyes would notice that the margin of error on Australia is within Spain and Italy's times, so it's quite possible we are more competitive than them as well. So all in all, yes, Australia is definitely one of the most competitive countries worldwide. On absolute cut-offs 'just to get in' (referring back to the quote I was testing), more than half of the other countries participating have a quicker absolute cut-off time than Australia, which means that it shouldn't be so and the quote wouldn't hold true. But the cut-offs are skewed when Europe has guaranteed Race Camp placement.

There is a comparatively large gap between the top 5 relative competitive countries, and the rest.

In synopsis: Australia's not that bad if you want to progress to Nationals, but very, very competitive to get to Race Camp. The only two proven countries harder are Japan, and Hungary. We know the reasons why these two countries are hard, and on a crude comparative scale, we're very close to them.
    warrior2167 and JonoStan96 like this.
  6. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
  7. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I bet it took longer to type than complete the research!

Very interesting findings there.
    Viperzed and Crunch like this.
  8. AUSnicko9

AUSnicko9 Professional

PSN ID
    aussie_nicko
    Managed to have a proper go tonight for an hour, ran a 3'26.9. Hopefully I can find some more time before the end, preparation for my uni exams is taking time away from running laps haha.

Some unbelievable laps at the top, great job Dan and Warrior. :)
    Crunch likes this.
  9. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    I've gone back to TC 1 as I find while it is slower, I always, always get a huge dose of understeer just when I need to be powering out of a corner. I managed to get a lap of 25.7 last night however I invalidated it at Arnage. Heavy things were thrown lol
    Viperzed likes this.
  10. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Keep pushing Jono! You can do it!

Even if I had more time, a low / mid 26s was all my pb sectors would give me. Will be giving the live event a crack again. Still overall I'm quite happy with my improvement since last year :)
    warrior2167, Crunch and JonoStan96 like this.
  11. JonoStan96

PSN ID
  12. Benjamin J Smith

These leaderboards Sunday if you blinked someone moved around
  13. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Finally got a 24.9 today, I had to blitz the 1st part of the lap to do it. I just can't match your amazing speed through the the Porsche curves Dan.

@Fastboysmith cmon mate. Just 1 more tenth to be safe. @R0T0R-AU86 is almost there and Ideally you'll both make it.

Well done @Pringles_947 and @MINT_GTR , great laps guys.
  14. MetalGear9493

PSN ID
    MetalGear9493
    Yeah, I guess our laps were fast in different places and not so fast in others, It's the nature of this combo really, the more u nail every corner consecutively, the closer u are to having a failure or a moment of fractional concentration.

Great lap none the less;) It's amazing that running a 24.9 doesn't even put you in the top 10 world wide, and less than a week ago a 24.822 was the P1 (by a mile).
    warrior2167 and JonoStan96 like this.
  15. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Just an hour left, one final push...
    Viperzed likes this.
  16. Peter Wise

Peter Wise Professional

PSN ID
    copperj32. Steam: copperj32
    Go Jono, Good Luck
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  17. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    I gave it my all, but I came up short. Well short in fact. 48th place with a 3:27.9 was not what I wanted after around 10000km of driving, since like I said before I got a 3:25.722 invalidated for running a mm wide.

Huge congrats to @warrior2167 and @MINT_GTR for guaranteeing a spot in the nats, I really hope you guys will kill it. Pending ineligiblities we might have a few more ROOZ there too!

Nice job @GTP_DHolland on getting the coveted #1 spot too, outstanding job mate.
  18. SirPoopington

SirPoopington Rookie

Congratulations Warrior, Minty, Rotor, Pringle and of course Sir Holland (/bow). What an effort! You guys must be stoked!

Bad luck to those who've been squeezed out, the aussies were ultra competitive. Chin up, there's still live events to come (I hope!).

Again, congratulations!!
    MINT_GTR, JonoStan96 and warrior2167 like this.
  19. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Congrats @GTP_DHolland for taking out the number spot for Australia. I came close a couple times with 2 invalidated laps which could have put me on top, but in the end I just couldn't get the porsche curves right.

4 out of 10 ROOZers ain't bad with still potentially a couple more from the live events. Good luck to you guys.

@N64TheStig007 wow, 10,000. I did about 7,500 km
    MINT_GTR, pykeybraa145 and JonoStan96 like this.
  20. COME_AND_GET_ME7

COME_AND_GET_ME7 Professional

Congrats to the lads who made it in.

What I find stupid is how to my understanding India have 10 go through to nationals from online 10 from live events. 6 of which go to race camp yet only 67 entered the online competition.
    warrior2167 likes this.