2015 GT Academy Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mustafur, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    i guess you need to move to india before next gta...
  2. metal

metal New Recruit

Yep congrats to those rooz that made it. Looks like I will see a few familiar faces at finals :) Sorry to anyone I bumped off the qual list :oops: I reckon the other rooz members who still want to go will still make it via the live events. :cool:

btw, I think I seen in the India gtp thread that they were running the gtr black edition at the live events again this year, at the same track as last year as well (silverstone international?). So start putting in a few laps on this combo, because I reckon it's gonna be the same again.

Hey rotor, I reckon that because the live events haven't been announced, the final is going to be on the 24/25th of July. Do you reckon you can jiggy your overseas trip itinerary to make it?
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  3. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Good odds if your from India then. IIRC there were even a couple more last year.

@metal I think you mean the final is going to be in July.

Checklist for live events from last year
    • Silverstone International Circuit
    • GT-R Black Edition (Could be the new model this year)
    • Racing Soft tyres
    • Angle pedals at 45 degrees
    • Push the steering wheel forward as far as possible
    • Sit as close as possible to the screen with narrow view setting on
    AUSnicko9 likes this.
  4. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

Shouldn't be to hard you think going by the calibar of some of the people who got through via live events last year
  5. metal

metal New Recruit

Ta, fixed date in my post.

narrow view setting? I thought the view setting only affected the cockpit view? And you just switch to other views by pressing the second red button from the left on the base of the shifter pad.

On another note, I actually enjoyed just doing a few laps in the first 3 rounds in cockpit view (even if I only put in a few hours total). Feels way more natural. However, when I tried cockpit view in the last round, lol! I couldn't even tell where an apex was. That and the cockpit shaking, made me revert to bonnet view. Probably stick with it now, and just hope it's the same as last year, and tt's only for the nationals, and not races (although cockpit view is pretty crap for rear view mirrors as well).
  6. warrior2167

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    It does, but that's exactly what it felt like at the live event. The FOV of view was so weird
  7. MINT_GTR

MINT_GTR Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    MINT_Matt
    I have been quiet over the final round but now it is all said and done, time for a minty recap :)

What a final round combo that was!?! That was definitely one of the hardest cars I have ever driven on GT. I am really happy to have improved on last year and finish in the top 4 and in doing so, qualify for nationals again :) had mixed feelings with the past 2 days as I was really chasing that 3.24 and had laps good enough for that until the nature of the beast, bit me hard, in the last sector, so wasn't to be.

A massive congratulations to @GTP_DHolland on top Aussie honours and @warrior2167 for flying the ROOZ flag in the top 20 for the whole 2 weeks, amazing pace gents :)

An epic result for both @Pringles_947 and @R0T0R-AU86 as well, look forward to seeing you both in July :)

Unfortunately with the fierce aussie competition we had this year, @Fastboysmith narrowly missed out but I am sure we will see you and the likes of Jono, Luke and nicko getting through at the live events to be announced very soon :)
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  8. AUSnicko9

AUSnicko9 Professional

PSN ID
    aussie_nicko
    Big congrats to all those who are in the selection zone, particularly Dan on his P1 lap. :)

Really wish I would have been able to dedicate more time to the final round, but with uni and karting commitments it just wasn't possible. Hopefully I can find some pace at the live events and meet you guys at the finals!
  9. metal

metal New Recruit

It's the nature of the beast. (hotlap comp)

A hotlap competition such as this, always requires significant time commitment, especially in the last few days. And as Dan said earlier, a 24.8 had the lead by a 'country mile' with a few days to go. Yet over 20 drivers did a sub 25 within those few days.

Anyway, quick short story... :)

It took me 30 hours, over 2 weeks, to learn and understand GPL (Grand Prix Legends), when it came out back in 1999. At the time, I was in my 2nd year of uni, and I was topping and staying on top of the 'gpl Apex' site hotlap charts during that period of it's release, because luckily, I wasn't in an exam period :)

I then dominated gpl from then on in, for the next 2 years, because I spent the time to really sit down and over analyse the sim physics, and setup engine of gpl. (yes, it requires a significant amount of time, in a short period of time, to really, and i mean really, understand a sims physics engine)

I did exactly the same thing in the last 2-3 days of this comp ;) i.e. 20ish hours of running the same track and same car, over and over again. (with about 10 hours previous to that, over the previous week and a bit)

I learn't a ton..... btw :p

Still need to test these physics understanding theories on other gt6 cars... (tyre model physics)

But a rest day or 3 is good..... and being drunk tonight is relaxing :p

Anyway, being able to kart weekend in and out though is a dream for me btw... (your quite lucky to be able to afford to race karts :) ).

Karting in relative terms, compared to any other sport, is extremely expensive. But the thing is, karting is so similiar to the feeling of what an f1 car would feel like (except braking g's), that to me, it's still the ultimate decently affordable, racing simulation.

Even gt level cars only pull a g or so, whereas a kart can pull a few in a corner :)

Really, if your lucky enough to be shifter karting?, that's the ultimate level of happy fun I reckon :) And even if I haven't experienced a shifter kart...

It is so 'f1'!,
    in a 'small and affordable' (comparatively to an f1 car) form. :)

And even if I make it to racecamp, and fail at winning, I am still aiming at buying a shifter kart, and just doing practice days, just for fun in the future :) (I wouldn't be able to afford to race competively)

I really do hope to see you nicko, and the other sim racing cainers, at the finals :)

Sim racing rocks! :)

And to think, oculus, plus several other vr products, are coming within the next year or 2. Sim racing rocks, and will forever rock, and will be so much better with vr... Can you imagine gt7 with a sony vr product! :) Ohhhh yeah :cool:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    warrior2167 and AUSnicko9 like this.
  10. MetalGear9493

MetalGear9493 Team Driver

PSN ID
    MetalGear9493
    Congrats to all the guys who made it this year for Australia, not being eligible myself, I still wanted to put in a good showing and try and get as far up the leaderboard as possible, the last 2 days of the compeition I really should have had a .4/.5, which would have potentially secured a podium but I lost a bit of confidence at the latter stage of the lap, plus not having the best wheel available (I have G27) isn't conducive to world beating times.

At the start of the TT If someone said I would end up 6th on the leaderboard I would have taken it as I had little pace on day 1 and guys like Wolf (and warrior too!) had exceptional day 1 pace, but the tried and trued practice and persistence started paying off and I was able to analyze and ultimately get on top of the physics behind the unique combination that was ROund 4,

Good luck all at the national finals, and the live events, I might drop in to the Melbourne one If there is one and If it isn't too far to travel, cheers!
  11. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Does anyone have any info on the live events? I still have not heard where or when they are doing them.
    Viperzed likes this.
  12. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Im told it'll all be revealed shortly. But I feel a road trip will be in order!
  13. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Here's some retro GT Academy!

Viperzed likes this.
  14. metal

metal New Recruit

I was about to ask who went to that first Lan, that is still racing gt, other than hollo?

Paused it at 0:28 and at 1:25 on leaderboards of times :) Hollo, joshmuggo, tezpez, sfeigl, warrior, and zdenko (who went to nationals last year). Justin Ruggier was in there too. Anyone else?
  15. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

Madison Down is on that list as well, but only warrior and holland still play GT6, this time trial is the first time Muggo has touched GT6 since GT Academy
  16. warrior2167

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    There could be a couple more the play gt on occasion, Carbonfibre and Wheelstand . The leader board from 2010 can still be found here http://gtdb.net/?tt/73

That's a good list :). just that Holl and sfeigl didn't go last year. DEVIE, JRUGGIER and Madison are going pretty well in the real world too.
  17. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    There will be 1 live event for all 10 spots, likely in Sydney or Melbourne.
  18. SirPoopington

SirPoopington Rookie

Damn...

Do you have a source for that info?

19. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Well nationals is mid July, so all points to one large live event.

But when will it be announced?!?
  20. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Wow so many last year took part in it back in 2010! I was blessed to get to nats considering I had only 2 months of sim racing under my belt.

I almost want to wait and hope gt academy comes back next year as want more prep, but not getting any younger. Thank god for tiger and cheap flights :) hope to see a good rep of rooz at the live event ;)

I was racing against Justin last year in karts. His super quick, and very friendly guy. He won the v8 touring car championship. Good on him!
    warrior2167 and metal like this.