PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Sweet. Nice shopping spree there Col. You're a braver man than me, post Xmas sales scare the crap outta me :)
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    What wheel was ya running before Col?
  3. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Hey Clevo, this old windows 98 compatable girl that I used back in the V8 Challenge days & I think it was F1 2002? It's called a Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel which ms don't even support anymore but supprisingly she was plug & play with win7, only turned from 7 to 5 o'clock tho, has paddle buttons.
    [​IMG]
    Now I have a compatable wheel I might have to get a copy of GT5 & come race those karts with you, looks like a lot of fun, already have a PS3 thats only being used for blue ray

Cheers!
  4. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Merry Christmas for you Col, and our ears lol. I got a 7.1 surround sound plantronics and it sounds great but you will have to get used to the sound coming from the front when you racing me
  5. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

For now Obi-Wan for now, just have to get my C then bleed all your advanced info of you then leave you in my fumes, or just wait for Neishy to knock you of the track ;)

Hey do you guys have your wheel settings, buttons etc? doing my head in trying to work this shiet out, can't even find any utube vids just for basics initial setup (regardless of game) like calibrations and button allocation etc

I did find this tho if anyone isn't aware (think one of me club mates would have told me hey :rolleyes:)
  6. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Hey Col,

Nice vintage wheel :p

Hey mate check this out, I am working on something myself, just need to work out my buttons and functions so I can sort out my setup as well :)
  7. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Interesting, sure many on here would be more up with what it all is all for and have their shiet sorted etc, has ignition for some reason? I'm more a P plater trying to work out how to set up buttons etc in the 1st place spec for iracin but will come back to that later once I know what buttons I want to do what where etc
  8. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    ok fellas im getting my motherboard and processor put in ontuesday aswell as a new sata HDD
    the motherboard is
    - ASUS P8H61-MX
    processor
    - INTEL Pentium G645

and i'll just get watever hdd is there
  9. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Nice. When can we expect to see you iRacing?
  10. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    dont know beau not sure if pc will run iracing without a graphics card motherboard is aparrently 850mhz stock but goes to a maxxed out 1.1Ghz or smething i dont know... we'll just see...
  11. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Yeah I wouldn't even bother trying without a discrete graphics card E, you want good framerates man, onboard more than likely won't give them to you.
  12. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    ok, just for trialling iracing i have this PC system at the ready if/when i choose to click "buy membership" for iracing.

i think it'll be enough ( with graphics settings on lowest) but i want to know for sure, help?

Core2duo 3ghz e7600
    2gb ddr2
    geforce 8400gs
    160gb
    winxp

if i can use this, i'll need to find a good $500 to upgrade which i simply couldnt do just for 1 game.

my i5 3.2ghz/12gb ddr3/ gt560ti system will not be moving to and from the tv/lounge/spare room just to play a game :)
  13. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

That setup is fine beanie, and I think you will be able to go a bit above 'low graphics'. An extra 1 or 2 Gb of RAM would help though, iR chews CPU/memory resources more than GPU :)
  14. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    mmmk - i do have another 2 gb ram in another unused pc which i could dump in to make 4gb, but from memory xp doesnt use any more than 3gb.....?

depending how the 8400gs goes, i can always spend $35 on a radeon 5450 or gt610 to help.
    (btw, the box is a thin lowprofile box, so i need to have a low profile graphics card which limits me to nubb cards lol)
  15. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    lol, the thin box died. mobo shat itself.

so, rebuilt a standard tower with the same specs basically, except now i can go a full height card at a later date.

i do have a 7600gt, however no HDMI output which is what i'd like, so i'll still need to buy a 'cheap' effective card is the 8400gs can't do.

also turns out, the mobo that died had ddr3 and 4 slots (2 being used).... only had ddr2 hanging around.
    so the new board has ddr2, but i only have 2 slots on this one :( so i'm still stuck with 2gb ram, but thats ok. i hope ddr2 will be ok....
  16. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

I wish I could show you my gmaing rig of old, but alas I have no pics. Picture a 4000XP with a Vapochil running at 0 degrees, 8Gb mem + SLI with water cooled GPU x2..,..,

Ahh, back in the day...
  17. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    lol, i used to be a keen overclocker, always pushing the limits.... but these days, i really dont beleive it's necessary... i mean i still have my i5 3.2ghz oc'd to 3.8ghz but thats tame really, stock cooling and voltages etc...

i remember my old cele 300 oc'd to 650, my old pentium 566 (i think??) and had that to about 950mhz.... extreme for those days... i did have my core2duo 2.13 oc'd to 2.5 or 2.6 or so but i suppose thats very tame considering the ability of what you can do.

this little fella (core2duo 3ghz) will stay stock for now. i did though, put a whopper HSF unit on, standard was pushing 40degC, now shes running 23.5degC :) i could oc it, but i dont know the limits of this board and ram.

ah well, all good fun.
  18. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Maaan, 40 degrees (low 30's with AC on) idle is excellent for my cpu at this time of year, running a Noctua cooler too! Next build I will definately watercool the CPU, it just get's too hot out here during the summer months, GTX690 is watercooled and yesterday was idling at 33 degrees, was 31 ambient, air conditioner is out of action at the moment, sucks a big one! I actually had to tone my CPU frequency back to 3.8 from 4.0 due to the heat/humidity lately, it's an older i7 930 so needs more volts to reach these clocks, bring on winter and 4.0GHz!
  19. ENFORCER_98

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    hey i was just playing around with my AI Suite and clicked GPU boost... it rebooted and said Boost successful clocked 1250mhz what does this mean ??
  20. MADCAP

MADCAP Rookie

MY New PC SPecs in my Cart:
    2 x ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GB ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GB In stock $479.00
    ASUS Maximus V Formula Assassins Creed 3 Edition In stock $339.00
    Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply In stock $279.00
    Corsair Obsidian 650D Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Case In stock $195.00
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler In stock $145.00
    Intel Core i7 3770K Intel Core i7 3770K In stock $345.00
    G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 In stock $169.00
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM00 In stock $99.00
    Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD In stock $139.00
    BitFenix Internal USB3.0 Adapter In stock $12.00

Hope to order this week.

Question regarding MOBO + GPU will they work well together, i know its an over kill but i do look forward to play other games besides iRacing...

Is there anything else i need?