2013 F1 discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mustafur, Mar 15, 2013.

1. X4rotorsploxX

X4rotorsploxX Rookie

PSN ID
    X4rotorsploxX S.Leonheart (GT6)
    You're not wrong, the only 2 things I were expecting, that came true, were Ferrari to bone Massa and Webber's start lol.
  2. zampli

zampli Team Driver

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/188964/1/webbers_race_hurt_by_technical_problems.html
    partly explains that crap start, when they compared it to alonsos start almost straight after, it honestly looked pathetic.
    i didnt think he was that bad last year (in terms of starts), lets hope its not a repeat of 2011 again. it puts him on such a back foot and webber couldve easily done a 2 stop it seems if he didnt get stuck behind jenson without KERS. stopped on lap 3, 9 and 39. 6 laps on first set of mediums then 30 lol.
    anyone else notice the lotuses bottoming out more than the others? so many sparks coming from them it seemed. good drive from raikkonnen, but obvious they have a good car in terms of race pace it seems and tyre deg.
  3. X4rotorsploxX

X4rotorsploxX Rookie

PSN ID
    Yeah I heard that later on the coverage on ONE. Because, as you said his start was truly horrendous. And obviously everyone else uses a burst of KERS before the first corner.

I think it was hard not to notice the sparks from em =P.
  4. zampli

zampli Team Driver

yeah, they have to get it sorted out, some ECU problem which completely stuffed everything up.
    those ferraris looked awesome when they were battling it out, not necessarily talking about speed (though they were fast), they just looked heaps cool lol, good to see them back near the top.
  5. X4rotorsploxX

X4rotorsploxX Rookie

PSN ID
  6. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    Reckon vettel sandbagged q1 and q2??
  7. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Possibly. Even though he got poll, I very much doubt he will win tomorrow, which is a fantastic feeling :p
  8. zampli

zampli Team Driver

i dont think he wouldve sandbagged Q1, looked too risky.
  9. zampli

zampli Team Driver

Webber frustrated after timing error in qualifying
    2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

March 23, 2013 at 9:50 am by Keith Collantine 4 comments
    Mark Webber said it was frustrating to qualify fifth for the Malaysian Grand Prix after he mis-timed his final lap in qualifying.

I think we got out of the car what we could have done on the laps when I was pushing, he said after qualifying. We basically didnt push when the track was at its quickest.

We thought we had a bit more time, well I thought I had a bit more time and more laps to play with. In the end I got the red flag, or red light when I went to open the last lap.

Team principal Christian Horner said that while Webber had chosen to spend the session on one set of intermediates, Sebastian Vettel had opted for a fresh set.

Both drivers had the choice of one [lap] and one [lap] or five timed [laps], said Horner. Sebastian immediately came on the radio and said he wanted to make a pit stop after the first time so thats why we ended up doing one and one and Mark elected to stay out for five laps.

It was a shame because we timed it that he was going to get the chequered flag jut right hes be the last car over the line which those conditions you want to be.

Unfortunately he just backed of a bit too much, he let Lewis Hamilton past and that last lap. I think he thought it wasnt his last lap but it certainly was. he crossed the line, he was the first car to cross the car after the chequered flag wed set it up nicely for him to be the last to get a lap in.

Webber said it was frustrating, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Were fifth and we can still race from there, he added.

that explains it, he had almost 2 minutes left to do that lap, seems like he backed off too much, thinking he had more time. shame, you could see everyone else was getting faster too, you can bet he wouldve as well.
  10. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

I think people give Webber too much credit. He is an average F1 driver in an above average car. He makes more bad decisions than good ones, and always SEEMS to get shafted when a situation comes down to the flip of a coin. If he was in a lesser team he would be a nobody, just like he was before he joined RBR.

But you know...GO AUSSIE! GO WEBBER!
  11. zampli

zampli Team Driver

i've only watched F1 since 2011, but even reading on forums going back a few years, i'd be hard pressed to call him a nobody back then....everyone seemed impressed with his jaguar results, again i cant really comment, but he seemed do be doing pretty well, then got stuck in that POS williams, when he probably should've gone to renault.

who exactly are you saying hype him up?
  12. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

I just laugh when people say he is a good driver when he gets a good result. For him to win a race things usually have to go pretty bad for the other front runners. I remember watching his first race with Minardi when he got a 5th place at the Australian GP in 2002. The press hailed him as a great talent blah blah blah. What they didn't go too much into was the fact that only 8 cars finished the race from 22 starters!

I think that one race inspired a lot of Aussies to start backing him. He didn't get any consistent results until he joined RBR and they started to dominate in 2010. As RBR stretched their advantage even more in 2011 and 2012, Seb was able to fully utilize the car, while Webber kind of stagnated. That's where you can see a large talent difference opening up I reckon.
  13. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Nah he was a top driver that got his break well past his prime, 2009 would of been his best chance at a title and it got destroyed when he broke his leg in his Tasmania race, He was a qualifying demon back in the jaguar and even in a pos williams he was able to be up the front on many occasions, problem was he always got a car failure when ever he was having a good run.

If he took the Renault drive instead of the Williams ride in 2005(Which he got offered but rejected it in favour of williams) I think he would of been pretty much dead on with Alonso for those years when Renault were top dog.
  14. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

He got carried into F1 when he and Paul Stoddart patnered up and Stoddart bought the Minardi team. I'm sure that there were heaps more talented drivers who deserved a drive more than him. That's how it is in F1 though, money overrides talent in some situations.
  15. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Your not going to find a driver who got into f1 in the last 10 years without money on their side, Alonso for instance had massive backing from Spanish Telecom company Telefonica most of his career.
  16. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

Thing is with Alonso, he has talent, and lots of it.
  17. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    i was rooting for Alonso for the championship this year, but now Massa has found some pace and has out-qual'd alonso in the last 4 races, who knows :)

ferrari to take constructors this year.

i hope vettel dies doesn't go good and KERS issues affects his car more than webbers
  18. zampli

zampli Team Driver

im sure there are plenty of less deserving drivers than webber on the grid....
    he is a good driver, im not saying he is top3 or whatever, but you cant seriously say he is hopeless..
    its no secret thaat vettel utilizes the redbull alot better than webber (when it suits him).
  19. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I have one good example JPM, he got to F1 after killing any competition on the cart series, and even before that his dad had to mortgage his house to back him up in formula 3. Unfortunately he lost his edge when he had children an chose the money in NASCAR. He was a tip driver and made F1 do much enjoyable (me being Colombian has anything to do with my comments lol).
  20. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Well it was a bit over 10 years, Frank Williams signed him up in 1999, but he wasn't able to start untill 2001 due to his contract with Ganassi at the time, but that is a rare case, as the team was one of the biggest on the grid at that time, most drivers that come to F1 usually start with a midfield or back marker team and work there way up, and those teams require the drivers to pay in order to run as a team.