ACC ACC season 01 rnd 10 Barcelona 90 minute Enduro cup Jan 27 2020

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Jan 21, 2020.

1. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

Well I thoroughly enjoyed my rookie season. Thanks to all who participated to help make it such an enjoyable first experience, I'll definitely be back for more.

Big thankyou to @marty and @SteveDrivingSlowly for making this all possible. I'm so glad I stumbled across this ROOZ community!
  2. Sparksy84

Sparksy84 Rookie

Was a cosy few laps to begin with, after pitting I caught Wally but because of our similar pace so decided to hang back and have a safer race.
    I didn't realise I had made a setup for the drizzle conditions until it started coming down.
    The last lap side by side with @SteveDrivingSlowly was intense with more standing water and dead tyres, definitely a highlight of my race.

Will absolutely be back for S2 and am super keen for the ICGT to come out so I can bin it on skyline like I have so many times in AC.
    Cheers guys, lots of fun and a real challenge to reach the pace!
  3. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

Whew that was a fun first season in ACC. Its awesome how the cars are so different but most of them are reasonably competitive with each other over a season.

Great jobs by @marty and @SteveDrivingSlowly with organising and the results.

Well done to Marty and @Rolz on the podiums.
    It ended up being a pretty tense 90 mins for me. I knew the 720 would have a bit of trouble with tyre wear so I was trying to manage that while keeping Marty at arms length behind. Not easy. Luckily for me its hard to pass at Catalunya and Marty seemed to have to run really high wing. We had a bit of a see-saw race, I would pull away for a few laps, then he'd catch up and so on. I think the highest the gap got to was ~3.4 secs. I was drenched by the end of it.

I know I struggle with this. My right foot isn't trained to hold 80ks. I have to keep looking at the speedo. Its the reason I got such a bad start in the first race.

@Flamebadger Pressures work the other way. Higher pressures up until a point reduce tyre temps very slightly. The reduce the flex in the sidewall of the tyre which is how some of the temperature is generated. Think of it like if you bend a spoon over and over it gets really hot at that point. The temps we had last night they wouldn't help at all though. Nothing would've helped much with those temps. Just gotta drive around it.
    tezpez85, nanlatt, Rolz and 2 others like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I noticed I started to pull away from you when the rain started. I had cranked up my TC and ABS, switched to a wet engine map (5 in the Aston), and deliberately drove over the marbles to get some pick-up on the slicks, and hence a little "tread".

What I did was open up the brake ducts to get the brake temps down, which also contributes quite a bit to tyre temp. That probably only brought the tyres down by 3 or 4 degrees though, but got them generally below 100.
    SteveDrivingSlowly and andyo450 like this.
  5. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Race was a fun battle, start 1 would have worked much better for me as Andy was caught a bit napping but was just too much carnage for an enduro so we restarted. Its not something id really want to do often in main league races but if we lost a big chunk of the field there it would have been a sour end to the season for many.

In start 2 Andy got a better start but surprisingly it looked like I had some lap speed over him early. I assumed he was saving tyres and I did my best to try avoid cooking them like I did the wednesday races early. Still even though I was quicker in some spots it wasnt anywhere I could do much, he was especially strong getting off the last turn. I experimented through the chicane and last turn with a couple small errors that gave him a little gap then I could see he went hammer time to try build a gap.

It was a back and forth battle as hed get away then I clawed it back, we both stopped the same lap as I kind of gave my strategy away when I went a lap too long and needed to fuel save to the pit. Stops were fairly even, I didnt nail the stop as I did the last couple races. Seems you can lose a second or so just being a touch short of the mark.

Next stint he was flying early in full attack mode, I just hung on then clawed the gap back a little. We then started to hit traffic with it giving us some gains and loses depending on the part of the track we caught them. Overall traffic did pretty well, I had hoped to get close enough to use traffic for a pass but Andy kept enough gap to be safe most of the way.

Then the rain came with no warning, I saw Andy go inside the main straight before it started and wondered wtf that was. Then as the rain started and I saw what he was doing, the old get some marbles on your slicks to hope they aquaplain less trick.

Early Andy had good pace in the damp but my car started to come to me near the end, with more traffic I went full attack but ended up about 7 tenths behind at the line. Anpther good battle and Congrats to @andyo450 on another win and @Rolz for his first podium after a tough season with hardware issues making him miss many races.
  6. Cooper

Cooper Rookie Gold Member

This feels like a speech as i want to thank a heap of people, but i have enjoyed this, no end!
    After many years of not driving in a formal season, that was a great way to get back into it.
    I was gaining on Rolz and Tez in the wet, but ran out of laps. would have been good to finally try and get Tez in my mirrors.
    To Marty/Steve, great setup, organisation and communication. Marty, crazy speed for a guy who "doesn't know setups!" ...you must be unemployed?
    To Andy, Marty, Rolz, Barra, Tez, Serge ...who I chased and chased but couldnt catch, i thank you as i feel i am a better driver because of it.
    Steve / Wally and Nando, you get my most improved driver award (whatever that is :)) i think you guys have improved so much from the start of ROOZACCS01. The positioning of your vehicles, just seemed to get better and better, made it hard to chase down and hopefully pass.
    Anon, for being Anon.
    I feel like we all should have been hugging while you read this :)
    Oculus for making a nice box for my head, just improve the stutter for us. The immersion is crazy. I knew it was good when my neighbor asked..."How'd you end up in the race last night?", yes, apparently i do yell while driving virtually as well as in reality.
    Fanatec for making some great pedals. Next a wheel and my G27 can rest.
    Kunos, WOW! this sim is the best in my opinion. When i am in Italy next, i am coming over!
    S02 should be good. I dont want to let go of the Audi, as i feel i know it well now.
    Look forward to racing the next one with everyone and more.

Matt
    krunch, Rolz, tezpez85 and 6 others like this.
  7. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Yeah... about that first race start...
    Goes and hides...
  8. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

Another sob story from me for the last race of the season.......
    I had a great setup for the conditions, worked great in hot practice during the day and in practice before the 90min race but just like on Wednesday night i went out on track for the race and the setup lasted 1 lap before i could not keep the rear end straight. It wasn't like the setup was wrong for the conditions or a bit out on tyre pressures, this was like I had DRS open on an F1 car trying to take corners at high speed it was that loose on the rear. I spun on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th laps and continued to spin all race, again losing count the number of times, that's even going from 3-4 on TC up to 5-6 to try and help in any way.
    It was very far from the same car I had been driving previously
    Not sure if the issue may have been caused by the race restart possibly? I did make sure I re-loaded my setup and checked everything again to make sure after the restart. Any ideas anyone? @marty did we do a restart on the first race on Wednesday night?
    Anyways normally i would have rage quit and lucky i didn't as i only just scraped in with the SILVER championship by 6 points over Nanlatt. From my perspective it's a season to forget, I am an overly competitive person and I just think the standard of driving and the consistency from me wasn't there and big improvements need to be made.
    I have come from Rfactor to AC/PCARS to PCARS2 to ACC and I don't think I have adapted as well as I would have liked to ACC. Season 2 will force my hand to learn setups more if I ever want to see the pointy end, although lack of available practice time will still be an issue though.

A huge thanks to all those involved with the running of this season, @marty @Rolz @SteveDrivingSlowly to name a few, including all the drivers. A few clashes here and there but as a whole it was a great bunch of people to be racing against !

Bring on the weight ballast next season !!
    krunch, Rolz, tezpez85 and 3 others like this.
  9. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I know enough about setups to get by, many will find that the gains they get beyond fairly fundamental changes are often from just doing a few more laps. If something feels very wrong or your well off pace it worth digging into them a bit more but I really never found much even in the first part of the season trying pretty much everything. I was just able to either make it terrible or get much the same single lap pace in a different way and often make it less driveable over a longer stint.

Regarding employment, its more that I dont sleep much but have been pretty busy with work the last few years. This season I really only had 2 or 3 nights a week to run any laps so I made this Monday, Wednesday and some other night I didnt have anything else on.

The practice session before the Monday and Wednesday races are my main sessions where I worked on race setups and then another night I would just dial in a basic setup, which I pretty much copy pasted for the last few rounds and just made minor changes as needed. ;) When I say work on setup its more run laps and see if I can keep finding more or if there is something fundamental you can change.

I think many ACC default aggressive setup with bias, electronics and pressure changes you can get within 1 second of anything I could come up with.
  10. marty

marty AC Server Legend

With your testing did you do any practice on full race fuel? also a big tip on race setups use the aero fuel load tester in a practice session to set your ride heights for the race. Start of race with an extra 100kg or so in the tank the extra weight will have an impact on the mechanical balance, then as the fuel load drops the aero balance will change as the end where the tank in will raise significantly.

That 45 minute session before a race is when I do my race testing, either start on a full tank or race setup fuel but with less in the tank using the fuel tester. I do this until about 20-10 minuites to go where I do some qualy runs to dial in the low fuel balance feel again.

The 911 this raises maybe 3 or 4 mm at the front from full tank to qualy loads once you burn fuel. This means I need to adjust ride height for the race to account for this. I aim to make it in the window as long as possible not necessarily for the start of the race or stints.
    nanlatt likes this.
  11. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

I most certainly did and the setup was fine under full load, i spent most of the practice session on race night working on this, more so than other weeks and even some time offline testing it
  12. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Did you have any contact early, it can really kill aero balance especially a hit to the rear. Race 2 wednesday I got a whack to the rear early and it didnt help, then later had one to the front and car was horrible and 1.5 seconds per lap slower.

Here are the race highlights from the race last night, should be uploaded already but just processing so may still take a few minutes.
  13. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

Not that i felt or was aware of, the car was great over the whole first lap
  14. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

I was keeping my eye on you Mr Speedy, don't you worry :cautious: You were catching us hand over fist in the slippery conditions. I think 2-3 more laps you would have had me for sure.

I came from AC, and it took me all the pre-season fun-runs (almost a season in itself) to get my head around the basics of how the TC & TCC (TC cut) works on just the one car (Ferrari). I've found it's a very different driving style for these Blancpain cars compared to all the previous seasons of AC I had done up until that point. Don't worry, you'll be much faster in S2 with the experience you've gained this season :thumbsup:

That being said, understanding setups will gain you a lot of "free" time if you can adapt them to make the most of your driving style. Any sort of loss of traction at the rear is what costs you time in these cars, so the suspension/TC settings need to be dialled in to give the best traction in changing conditions.
  15. marty

marty AC Server Legend

If anyone is really bored :D here is my full race from this round.
    Rolz and andyo450 like this.
  16. Shaun

Shaun New Recruit Gold Member

Thanks guys for what races I did during this season. Such a solid sim that I doubt I’ll subscribe to iRacing again once it runs out. Monday night was pretty disappointing in the Beema. Kept it clean and had a good pit stop but still last in class by a long way and almost at the back of the field. Weird. Thanks to Marty for all the organizing and planning and to all the other drivers. A good bunch of blokes and some clean racers in here . Still a lot to learn about car set ups but hopefully I’ll get there after another season. Cheers guys.
  17. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Thanks guys for more fantastic racing on Monday night! It never gets old :thumbsup:

The first start was good until I got caught up in the melee and took a fair bit of damage. Still I'd have preferred we kept going like in a real race as it would have been interesting to see who handled that situation well.

The restart didn't do me any favours with the left lane a full grid spot behind the right when it went green o_O. That cost me a place to @SteveDrivingSlowly but it wasn't so bad as we had a cracking battle for more than half the race :). I finally passed him just before pitting only to run long in my bay losing about 5 sec. He pitted a lap later and was back in front :rolleyes:. So I had to pass him again :eek: which wasn't easy. I had some other battles too as faster cars were coming through which kept things entertaining and near the end I had to keep a gap to Wally who put a bit of pressure on.

The Bentley felt pretty nice all race, even in the rain. I think I got my tyre pressures pretty spot on for the dry and they stayed warm for longer than I had expected in the rain but eventually I just couldn't keep the temps up and had to hang on for the overall 10th (P2 Silver class). Very happy with that to end the season.

So congrats to everybody - winners, podium-ers, mid fielders, almost mid fielders, admins, coders, suggesters, whingers (maybe not that last one) - on a great 1st ACC season at ROOZ. Looking forward to the next one :D
  18. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

amen dude, well said - and yes that was a great battle! You were definitely quicker by a fair bit so all I could do was try and keep the inside line covered and concentrate on getting good exits. But the pressure was relentless and I couldn’t hold you back! Very fun race!
    nanlatt and krunch like this.
  19. Pablo

Pablo Rookie

Does anyone have a replay of the abandoned start by chance?