Division 1 Season 1

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    1:19.5???????? *faints
  2. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

I have never been in a race like that on Gran Turismo before, awesome stuff it was a shame that I got lag punted in the first race so early.
    That second race Mus, that was awesome 13 laps of being less then .5 behind you. Couldn't ask for a better race
    Mustafur and Cyber_STIG_77 like this.
  3. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Thanks Anon, well done mate, good to see a different name at the top of Div 1.
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  4. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    I went all out at the start but it was the wrong strategy.

1st race was hugely fustrating i was going really well catching anon and VH at the front after a poor quaily then i just snapped the grass on the exit of the chicane just before the last corner.

Think im going to try the dfgt next round, i miss the stronger ffb which helps me predict when the car is going to snap.
  5. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Yeah Musta, it sounds strange for a sprint round, but like you said, you really had to drive less hard. With race 1 I knew you were coming, and Warrior would turn up eventually as well, so I was trying to have tyres in reserve for those battles rather than trying to pull away and be skating over the last few laps. When you spun and Warrior got caught up in traffic I couldn't believe my luck!!

On another note, kudos to Mik and Smithy. New to the league and format, but both had great drives. Cyber and I had an absolute dog fight in race 2, pretty much the whole race dicing and diving. Looking forward to next week, Spa is going to be insane!!
  6. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    What wheel did you use last night?
  7. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Logitech G27.

The wheel is clearly not properly supported for this game as on every other game the ffb is much stronger and better then the DFGT in every department.
  8. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I have nothing but praise for the G27 but I will agree that the FFB is just too weak, even at 10.
  9. vh_mik

vh_mik Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    vh_mik
    Good race last night guys. Anon, warrior and musta just too quick.

First race burnt my tyres to quick trying to pressure anon and keep musta behind me, which left me open for warrior to cruise on by late in the race. Was happy to get third and only beat by 3 secs.

Second race........ Disaster. Had a great start and by lap 4 was starting to put cars in between myself and anon/warrior. Was saving tyres really well..... Until i bombed it lap 5. Stig-13 run wide, I went inside, I didn't see him, he didn't see me, small touch which put him side ways, but as he was correcting, I got slammed which put me into the side of him which turned him around, ruined both our races. Sorry stig-13 all my fault. Then crunch spun in front of me so planted it into the wall, then lag bombed by vend when I went to pass.

Oh well, sh it happens I guess, and next week we race at the one track I hate the most ;(

See you all on Sunday
  10. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Very well done Anon, still early but only 1 point in it. The reports coming along and it's gonna be a long one since there were 2 awesome races last night.

I'm also using 10ffb on my G27, and it's only borderline ok for me, maybe they''ll release an update it in the the future to properly support it. I couldn't go back to the DFGT as I've got absolutely got no feel for the pedals.

Next week at Spa is gonna be a total lottery, no one is gonna be able to get away so if your reading this Monstar, rotor and corzza, you guys have gotta be there.
    Cyber_STIG_77 and S_CLOSE like this.
  11. Benjamin J Smith

I couldn't believe my qualy times I couldn't go any lower then a 21.2 but in my full 15 lap practise run I did a 20.3 with no draft, but when it count I couldn't string a lap together.
    I think my first race I could have been a lot higher, first lap coming out of the hairpin I got lag punted by Vandle then a couple of laps later he made a a mistake going into the last chicane, causing me to go through him trying to dodge his car, which then made me short cut the corner giving me a 5 sec penalty.
    Race 2 I wasn't staying behind Van for long so I made my intentions clear going into the first turn, passing him fast and clean then just cruised until Mustafur caught up, let him pass and just sat behind him until I got to lap 13, ready to use what I had left of my tyres to push him until the end,, but got a bit eager to early and spun about to start lap 14.
    This weekend will be interesting haven't raced on Spa much, missed out on racing against you guy with ANZGT because of :):):):) internet when they did there qualy, even though i was faster then all of them in every practise session.
    Anon666 likes this.
  12. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
  13. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    I'm sorry I rage quit on the second race - I have multiple excuses but rage quitting is never sporting and I have probably only done it one other time in over two years of league racing.

Firstly, I was using the T500 for the first race on GT6 in my life. I had been trying out the F1 rim (on F1 2013) before this race because it was the one I was most excited to use. The GT rim and the FFB felt close enough to the DFGT to cope (and the brakes are so much better that it almost feels unfair), but getting used to the paddle shifters took some time. I was coping for sure, but coping and being competitive are two different things. Secondly, I left my user BGM on, so that's something I'll have to remember to change before the race as well as the cache. The EDM tracks helped for getting pumped, but not for consistency. Finally, the format of two sprint rounds was definitely something I despised to begin GT6 racing with. It would be okay if I had already done Round1, but I hated it to start with. I was also being constantly called at by parents, and my next league race on the PC was overtime. The second race didn't even start well and I was at the back by the end of two laps IIRC, and then I spun, so I exited quickly and went to the PC.

Anyway, hope to have a proper round race with you tomorrow. Spa is the real deal.
    warrior2167 and JonoStan96 like this.
  14. Benjamin J Smith

Could it be easy to say this group of racers would make it to GT Academy
  15. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    You reckon? I honestly don't know. There are so many people I find in lobbies that manage to go incredibly fast. Not to mention some leaderboard times that I just sit and wonder about.

That said: there's a huge difference between TT and race pace. I pride myself at generally being a lot better at race pace and methodology than qualifying. In fact, my qualifying is generally rubbish.

I reckon Warrior would get into GT Academy though.
  16. Benjamin J Smith

I definitely say he would, you had to do a time trial to get into here, so your good at them, when it comes I will be putting everything I got. I think at least 5 of us will make it to the qualifying rounds anyway. Here's hoping anyway, I see this group as the best in Australia, we can help each other get there, but when we get there game on.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    warrior2167 likes this.
  17. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Wait, I think I'm missing something...

Who said GT Academy is coming to Australia? I've never really looked into it, but always known it wasn't open here - which while we're on the subject, is just a silly thing; Australia has a larger motorsports interest / contingent percentage wise than the US (in my opinion only). The talent that comes from Australia is immense, and far greater than our talent for winter sports if I may add. =P Generally, the Aussies are the fastest drivers on GT6.

As for quoting how I personally qualified for Div1, I can easily explain that. Spending a solid hour (which is how much I did, and I didn't go any further than that) refining the best way to get around the circuit because of 1) ghost cars, 2) trial and error, 3) constant variables, is completely different to my qualifying and timed-lap pace. Ghost cars are especially helpful for identifying locations to make up time, and rectify them. It teaches you that you might be fast in the first sector, but your third sector is severely lacking, and hence evens out your time. Working the track and maximising my sectors (more realistically: corners and precisely how much I could give them and the routines I would go through to maximise them) over an hour with the help of a ghost car was easy.

Secondly, trial and error also inflated my talents. The fact that it's a time trial scenario with unlimited opportunities meant that I could take risks for two reasons: 1) there is no safety concern for either the car or my life, 2) there is no pressure that would be present under a single timed or race scenario. Failure did not matter; I could push the boundaries. If it didn't work out, I just put that information into my bank and did it differently next time. That cannot happen in real-life racing, qualifying or sim racing.

Thridly, the constant variables that a Time Trial offers means that I know I don't have to conserve tyres or the like. I can learn through trial and error how much the car gives and how much grip the tyres have in them. I can learn how much I can clip the grass. This is because the variables like tyre grip through different Gs is programmed, and the grip you lose on the grass is programmed. It won't change, and neither will the fuel levels, tyre life or car acceleration and characteristics. The track won't alter its characteristics either. The racing line won't 'come to' with more laps or cars. The temperature and lighting won't change.

For these reasons, I can tell you that my Time Trial performance was quite possibly inflated. My qualifying sessions are usually terrible, as getting just the perfect lap right (because of no ghost cars of previous laps / lack of specifics corners that I went slow on, the increased pressure and zero further chances, and changing variables all around) is very difficult for me to do. Practising and rehearsing routines (that you will do in qualifying - more relevant to other sims | not really GT6) without a doubt helps IMMENSELY, but it's important to know that you will never achieve your best, maximum time possible in qualifying EVER. The cases where you do go faster than you have when practising (which actually happens quite a bit) is down to different track and car conditions as well as different atmospheric / psychological conditions that ensure you need to do well.

Only when variables are constant as in TT can anyone push to test the ABSOLUTE limits of speed, versus your CONDITIONAL limits of speed.

Hence, time trials are a very different test to qualifying situations - which I might add are 99% of timed racing situations. Drivers in the real world have to attempt to replicate (as in, get as close to) their best performance over a single lap. Even 'time trials' are nowadays more qualifying like: one lap worth of tread before the best grip is lost in the tyres, for example (of course there are many more reasons, that could be as subjective as 'we've only paid for access at the track for an hour more', ie. money and time), or that Pikes Peak record run. He only gets one attempt.

I don't need to go into why racing is different from qualifying... So anyway, I don't pretend to be superior in knowledge to anyone, but I just got really caught up in analysing the differences of time trials and qualifying! =)

To end, my qualifying is generally bad, and quite often I never get close to the time I'd go into qualifying wanting to set. I rely upon my racing to get results, and it generally works because that's just my style, and I actually suspect is a lot of people's styles on GT because of its 'driving simulator' status - it's better to not crash out than push for those tenths of a second. Other racing games out there (like F1 2013), I can't say the same for. That's a game you need to really push.

EDIT: And I only refer to F1 2013 because that actually is a game that I contest with everyone to be among the best in Australia at. Perhaps there is also truth in my different perceptions of style in that I feel I need to push in F1, but can't say the same for GT because I haven't gotten close to mastering it. I would put money on the very best drivers on GT feeling they have to push to be at the pinnacle.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  18. Benjamin J Smith

just have a go when it starts, you might even win.
  19. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Yes I think that there would be 5 to 8 (not just including div 1) of us that would make the cutoff. Regularly driving on Gran Turismo would have to be an advantage over guys who are only on Iracing and other sims.
  20. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Wait, I think I'm still missing something...

That footage was already filmed... was that all from previous years? So the GT Academy hasn't opened for 2014? I frankly thought the qualifiers were from last year to get in this year.

And yes I agree, Australia was on the map there. =)