Division 1 Season 1

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Jan 6, 2014.

1. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Hi guys,

Just some general info for our new racers and a refresher for our ROOZ regulars... !!

Just a reminder that we pride ourselves on trying to race as cleanly, and fairly as possible. We all know that sometimes things go pear shaped, and we expect it to happen from time to time. That said, there are still somethings that we all need to be aware of while racing in our series.

1. If you make contact with someone and push them offline, you cant take advantage to take the spot. You must redress and give the spot back. If you don't, that driver who has been disadvantaged by an unfair move, has the right to protest post race, and if the move is proven to be outside the rules, a drive through penalty WILL BE ENFORCED.

2. If you do have an incident and find yourself offtrack, you must watch for oncoming traffic before you rejoin the track. Again, if you rejoin, and cause an accident from not being aware there is the potential for a post race penalty.

3. At least 2 wheels MUST REMAIN ON AT LEAST THE RIPPLE STRIPS AT ALL TIMES. Any driver gaining obvious advantage from driving off track will recieve a post race penalty to be determined by the size of the advantage and the number of times the driver has gained an advantage.

For all other rules and regs please have a quick read here : http://raceonoz.com/threads/rules-regulations.70/

We certainly dont want to ruin the fun, and i have to say that the first 4 rounds have been fantastic with no protests (up till this point), but we still need to be very aware that our core goal is to give the cleanest, and fairest racing leagues that we can.

Cheers
    Mod team
  2. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    I think Vendals lag has to be addressed for him to continue racing, it ruins someone's race every round.
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  3. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    He has the same problem as TB, Ad's and N64. For some reason they have been picked by the network gremlins to be cursed atm. In the econobox race the other night I had N64 in front of me and the other night I got behind TB. Both times I kept my distance until I could get beside them - directly behind seems to be the worst place. The only problem with that is that sometimes you aren't sure if you are beside or into the side??
  4. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Fixed room ownership on a strong ( fibre ) connection sorted lag in div 3
  5. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Cyber do you have Fibre?
  6. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    So much pressure last night from holland, mustafur and Anon, that was pressure racing at it's best. First it was holland and anon on my arse for the early part of the race, you guys are just super unlucky to have your HDMI cables muck up during the race. Then for the last 10 laps Mustafur was closing me down, but just could not get there in the end. Great race fellas.

Welcome to our league comeandgetme. Great job using a controller as I think with GT6, it's a little harder to be as competitive with the controller over GT5. I'll use the controller when I'm just playing casually but I've always raced here with a wheel.
    Mustafur likes this.
  7. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Yeah it felt foreign catching you, I got a bad entry into the last chicane section 3 laps from the finish and it stopped any chance of a last lap battle, really good race and it feels good to sort out my issues with the G27.

Hope holland comes back he was super fast, very high quality race that was.
  8. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Unfortunately not :( I've just got Adsl 2+elite , it's usually good for 13mb down and 8-900 up 30 ping. I have had a look into using fixed room ownership but I think 8 players would be the max and that's on low race quality. I read that race quality only changes how smooth the other cars on screen look from a distance but not up close so i might try it on low through the week and get some feedback
  9. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Few things to say in this post:

What's with the confusion? As soon as I realised I'd executed a non-intentional pitting maneuovre, I slowed down and waited for you. I wish I saved the replay because it actually might not have been you who I pitted; I wasn't sure whether the person I tapped regained control but you who was alongside got knocked or what happened. Either way, it happened on my nose.

What with Stuart posting about car contact and incidents, I feel compelled to ask and clarify.

How are incident repercussions dealt out? Does it happen often? The reason I ask, is because waiting for vh_milk was one of the toughest concessions I've ever had to do. In other league races, I generally have a chance to still win if I wait about 8 seconds at the beginning. But here, even 1 second is way too much.

Circumstantially, I had no practise at all on this track. I didn't even know it was Trial Mountain before i joined the lobby. But please bend your mind to a hypothetical: 'let's say I had practised for many, many hours. For all I know, vh_milk quite literally DID. His race is ruined by me unintentially as it happened in the last race. I, having also practised, does not want to willingly concede time rectifying the collision. The reason being because I'm on an adrenaline high and want to enjoy my race. The added psychological advantage of being in the pack means my lap times are faster than flying solo.'

What I'm trying to say is, I'd much rather cop a penalty post-race than have my race psychologically devastated like it was. My pace will be a lot better if I continue, so it also helps me race to take a penalty instead of 'erasing' a penalty and trying in vain to catch up without a draft from other cars and without adrenaline. Basically, the race at Trial Mountain was terribly unenjoyable. I've only had 3 races here, and so far, Spa has been the only decent. I couldn't keep concentration after 15 laps into the race at Trial, and my lap times just plummeted. I had no encouragement or driving force behind me. Holding the adrenaline and sweat from nearly an hour of hard racing to be disappointed post-race (when adrenaline is down), is far easier for me than to demolish all the fun I could have had for an hour. I'm unhappy in the race, and post-race.

it's a very difficult balance (as I know from my history in league racing). The people who are tapped do not like having the other car drive off. Having them close-by after a concession of place helps with their psychology. But from my point of view (opinion), I can justify my anger of annoyance for that person with the ideals I've already discussed. They want to do well and be competitive, and i know I'll be compensated psychologically when they get a penalty. In the meantime, I put my head down and try to catch up.

This isn't normally an issue, but this league is far too quick and competitive to be conceeding after collisions. Once I conceeded, the race was over. fin.

I apologise for the first two races where I had to jet off and attend another league. The announcement of Season2 prizes and GT Academy has affirmed that I'd much rather choose this league than just compromise. So, I don't have to jet off after the races now because I quit my other one. =) The start time of 7:30 is perfect.

EDIT:
    I'm very used to being a host for leagues. My speeds from the cable broadband (just from memory) is around 30MB Download and 1.5MB Upload. Of course, I'm just contributing to the pool of discussion about lagg. Cyber is a most competent host.

But I'm here if you'd like me to try.
    carn_the_pies likes this.
  10. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    @ crunch, the reason we prefer people to redress incidents on track rather than post race is because it would be a mammoth task to review every incident throughout 6 divisions. But if you are unsure of if you caused an incident IMO you should continue and allow the incident to be reviewed post race.
    In regard to the frustration you feel after having to wait for a fellow racer, I know it sucks and you are in a SUPER competitive league so it can/will ruin your chances of finishing on the podium BUT thats racing and it can be a cruel sport ! When I joined ROOZ back in season 4 I was blown away by just how competitive the racing was here and I too found the frustrations of such a competitive field of racers BUT this just fuelled my competitive nature and I hope it does the same for you. Its great to here you have put your focus into GT6 and ROOZ and I hope that with more practice you will be rewarded with some great racing and great results. After 11 seasons in DIV 1 I can honestly say this is the most competitive the div has ever been and with warrior giving all of us a lesson each week it's not going to get any easier which IMO is fantastic, so basically you have jumped into the deeeeeep end !! Just stick with it and enjoy the racing wether its for 1st or last if you are battling for position in a clean,fast competitive race then thats all that matters :)
  11. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    As this is my first season I don't think my experience holds any "wisdom".
    However, whilst I can see where you're coming from Crunch and appreciate your views I think that if a driver makes a mistake and causes another driver to spin/crash/run off the track etc, i think it shows good sportsmanship and respect for the innocent driver (who is now possibly out of the running for the race/their initial position), so I think it's only fair to redress and give yourself the same penalty (even if it does cost you the race/your position).

If this was not the case, there would be potential for anarchy out on the track each week with drivers pushing harder than they should and causing "incidents", then driving off leaving it to the judges at the end to sort out. I don't think anyone here wants to race in that kind of environment.

From the small amount of time I've been racing here I've come to find that as much as it is about racing as hard and as clean as we can it is also about the camaraderie and mutual respect for each other and sharing the same passion for online racing.
    IMO, participating in a great and friendly environment should be the number one goal - not coming 1st each week.
    :)
  12. Anon666

PSN ID
    Anon666
    From memory Crunch, the post-race penalty is 30-40 seconds depending on the track. Plus, if you're found guilty of breaking the code of conduct more than twice your goose is cooked for the season. I fully understand your point, but you should always redress.

It's good that you have committed to this league because turning up to the Div 1 room short of practice is going to make it very tough to be competitive. All these guys are quick, some aren't from Earth, but all are well versed in driving techniques and make very few mistakes. Most of us will have run some rooms during the week to get an idea of breaking points and how much or little the draft understeer effect will impact on the race. You will enjoy the race much more if you can get higher up the ladder, but you won't get there without practice - unless you're Warrior or Holland, you freaks!!

I've had many races ruined by other peoples or my mistakes, or black screen, or screen lag, or network lag, or talent lag. The reason I can now run in top half of Div 1 is that when something goes wrong I have learnt to think like Dory and just "Keep on Swimming", well driving at least. I've gone from top 3 to last and back to the top 5 more times than I care to remember. I would be very confident that once you've done some practise and run some more races, worrying about what happens in a collision will no longer bother you, because it will happen so infrequently you forget about it. Stick with it man and it'll come.

Oh, and in the theme of Doogle's post - It's not how fast you drive, but how you drive fast!!
    Ad2mny likes this.
  13. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Cheers guys.

You've really helped my conscience at least. I'll especially have to remember that fighting for any position in this division is a great fight to be had what with the competitive field. I really wouldn't have expressed my anxiety for reddressing contact, but I did because I haven't been enjoying the racing.

Due to this, I might concentrate on just improving my position each week as opposed to where I know my pace can take me.
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  14. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    This is what keeps me coming back here, common opinions and interests.
  15. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773

Agree 100% with what anon and Cyber have said. I probably don't need to say a lot more, but will just clarify a couple of things

The rules post i put up wasn't directed at you in any way shape or form. I had a few of the new guys asking some questions about the general rules, so i posted the most important ones in every division thread to help the new guys and "refresh" the old heads ;)

One of the things we strive for really hard here at ROOZ is clean and fair racing. As some of the boys have touched on, redressing after an incident is the best way to do it as it shows respect for our fellow racers, and more importantly respect for the forum and what we are trying to achieve. THAT SAID, we dont want drivers to roll over either and let guys through. We want fast, hard and fair racing.
    If you get up the inside of someone, have the racing line with a bit of side by side biff and barge then battle on, but if you, or someone else is hit up the freckle and another driver gains from that then you (or them) have every right to have it reviewed. Corner cutting is in the same boat.

I understand the frustration of having to wait for another driver, and seeing a potential good result go down the gurgler. Have been there a few times myself and it potentially cost me a championship a few seasons back. But really, the respect you get from fellow racers, and the knowledge they have that you have tried to do the right thing by acknowledging you made a mistake and are redressing, solves many more problems that it can potentially cause.

Also remember that you are in a bloody tough crowd with potentially some of the fastest guys in the country, so little to no practice isnt really going to work in your favor ;) Hopefully that can change for you and you can spend a bit more time on track before the races.

I honestly hope that you can enjoy your racing here, and we see you for many more seasons.

Stu
  16. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    Talent lag... I like this phrase :p

Everyone in this division is an alien to me and most everyone on this forum!
    I've only had the chance to prac with some of them and some short sprint races here and there, but they are some of the best and fairest guys out there and I envy you for being able to race with them!
  17. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
  18. Anon666

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Wow Hatfield, that's awesome. Are you free to do my tax?
    Crunch likes this.
  19. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

So how are the divisions decided for next season?
    Crunch likes this.
  20. Cyber_STIG_77

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Nice work hatfield :)