Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    There also is that stupid issue where two players are unavoidably incompatible which each other, i.e, myself and Dougz, a problem which reared its ugly head in Season 11. It's a glaring error by PD which still has not been fixed for GT6. Surely if 3arc and Infinity Ward can settle a problem like that, you'd think a first party company such as PD could rectify it, wouldn't you?

I fear I may suffer another season of disconnections and misfortunes due not having the adequate resources needed for an awesome connection. At least with some custom settings it has made my connection smoother, but now I'm receiving frequent dropouts from the modem and due to Telstra's reluctancy to fix a fault which is plaguing the area. A new modem/router will improve things, though a wired connection through the house would be awesome.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Last night seemed to work a bit better, with the room set up to "low" in the race quality settings. My default is "high" so by moving it to low it reduced the setting by 2.

Had up to 10 in the room and didnt have 1 drop out, although there were still a few moments where there was a little lag.

Will run that setting again tonight for nascar and see what happens.
  3. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Near the end is GT 5, I was also running visible damage set to OFF, hoping it would put less stress on sending data to guys with slower Internet, seemed to work ok.... And the cars don't get all ugly and dented.. lol
    JonoStan96 and CobMcCool like this.
  4. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    One other thing, with all the new comers, make sure you have at least the host on your friends list before starting the game, had some issues with incompatible host connections when accepting friends when in-game.
  5. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    I finally got around to setting static Ip's yesterday after the lag issues that had started to get worse over the last few weeks, and from what I could tell, last night's session was the better for it. Running a wired connection/ethernet cable would be better, but I would shudder at what the cost of a lead long enough to reach my modem would be.......
    stucar17 and JonoStan96 like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Professional

PSN ID
    xxDARKOxx
    How long of a cable do you need
  7. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Ethernet over power adaptors are good
  8. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I got a 10metre Ethernet cable from a cheap shop for $24. Didn't really improve anything though, I'm almost certain it's to do with the NBN works just down the road.

If I can work out how to access my modem/router I'd have a fiddle with the DMZ or whatever but I got no idea what I'm doing.
  9. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Are they removing the copper Jamie?
  10. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I think they're laying the main cables, they're taking lines down from the power lines (the lower ones not the main ones up the top) and digging up the road laying heavier looking cables.
  11. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Bump! For all you many newbies, please have a look through here as it may save you from the painful disconnection!!
  12. bjh1012

bjh1012 Bruce Hale Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    bjh1012
    $9.00 for 15 m on trade me over here cat 6 just run all my cabals under the house lot cheaper then dick smith $ 15.00 for 5 m i think
  13. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Yes I admit, I'm with Telstra. Due to the parents insisting on it being run through phone line forcing me to use ADSL. My previous setup would only have a pitiful speed of 2.5mbps, but the router and booster I had kept the speed up. With the new setup, it has a maximum speed of 15mbps, however the range is poor, and my booster is out of range in my room. Unlike the old router which had no problem at all, it was the :):):):)ty modem.

I do think this is also a PD related issue, as my connections on Call of Duty, GTA, F1 and other games have improved massively, I can host, and I now have a Type 2 NAT as opposed to the dreaded Type 3. I'll take your word for Telstra's :):):):)ty software. My router from 2009 does a better job than a "router" inside a 2014 modem. Taking into account finance, I can't afford to blow another $200 bucks trying to solve internet issues which, aside from me lag punting people, aren't existent. (copied from Div 2 thread)
  14. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Hey check this out,
    Fixed Room Ownership (star type network model)
    If room ownership is fixed, the race will be suspended if the current owner suffers connection problems or leaves the race. However, the fixed room ownership model means that a race can take place as long as there is a connection between each player and the room owner. Races are therefore less likely to be disrupted by individual players' network environments or network equipment. (Compatibility problems with network equipment such as routers will only occur between each player and the room owner.)
    This is known as a star type network model. In this model, the player who created the room is the owner, and they host up to 15 other players. If your network's NAT type has been determined as 3, please play in rooms with fixed ownership.
    In the star type network model, the room owner is required to have high network bandwidth. This means that not all players can become room owners. In the event of a player with low bandwidth becoming a room owner, cars may display signs of unnatural movement during online races.
    Unfixed Room Ownership (mesh type network model)
    If room ownership is not fixed, room ownership will automatically be transferred to another player if the current owner suffers connection problems or leaves the race.
    Unfixed room ownership means that, in order for online racing to take place, up to 16 players need to be connected with up to 15 other players. This type of network, in which every player is connected to every other player, is known as the mesh type network model.
    The mesh type network model is less likely to produce lag than the star type network model, making it suitable for high-quality races. However, if there are compatibility issues between any player's network environment or network equipment, it is more likely that errors will occur during the race.
    There are times when players whose network's NAT type has been determined as 3 will not be able to participate in races that use the mesh type network model.
    FloodSim, DekGT5mad and Clevohead like this.
  15. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Why don't you buy a CAT5 cable online like only $20 for 30m one, and just run the cable to the router on race nights if lag is still an issue? Then once you finish just unplug and pack it up.
    FloodSim likes this.
  16. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Do you mean connect it to the PS3? I would do that in a heartbeat, but that would mean the cable would have to run through the whole house, which, according the parents is "unacceptable."
  17. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Try those Via powerpoint boosters that send the signal via your electrical wiring.All you need to do is plug one in near the router with e/net from router to it & vice versa at the ps3 end.This creates a fixed line via existing home wiring,easier than running cables etc. I'd guess that you can't get sole usage at racetime with your parents "unacceptable" thoughts:(;)
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  18. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    I have one mate, I used it with my old setup and it was brilliant. I tried configuring it for the new Telstra setup, but due to it's truly awful effectve range, the booster is ineffective in my room. Later this week I'll try putting the booster in the living room, about halfway between the router and my PS3 (10m)
  19. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Do you mean a wi-fi booster? I was talking about the ones that you plug in the wall,with an e/net cable from router to it,then another one in your room with e/net from it to your ps3? you'll always have issues while using wi-fi due to interference from other electricals,etc:)
  20. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    If you're using the supplied telstra modem/router,unfortunately you'll find they don't have a very good reputation for gaming,unfortunately
    (Telstra trying to maximise profits by supplying crap) After alot of research last night i've come to the conclusion that unless you get yourself a Gigabit router(not a brand,a type) you'll always have problems at some stage.Hope you can work it out mate.