New Modem...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aussie_man21, Jul 7, 2012.

1. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    :):):):)EN HOLY :):):):) BARRA!!! NOW THAT MENTAL!!!

You will have to start pulling over time on SUNDAY nights m8.

Sneak your race gear into work and START host ALL DIVS for us boys

(So 3 of everything will be needed) and you have to race in all DIVS :lol:

That should sort GT5 lagging :p
  2. Barra333

Barra333 Rookie

PSN ID
    barra333
    hmmm... there are a few big screen data projectors floating around the building :cool:
    When I used to do casual work for the uni, I used to consider dragging my PS2 in to play GT4 on the giant projector screen in the 640 seat lecture theatre. Unfortunately I dont have after hours access to that anymore.
  3. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    I normally get between 9-13ms on Bigpond cable. Will run a speedtest tonight.
  4. Dougz32

Dougz32 Rookie

Just tested mine.
    Sydney Server
    Ping 53 ms
    Download 5mbps
    Upload 0.33mbps

Brisbane Server
    Ping 70 ms
    Download 4.81mbps
    Upload 0.28mbps

Why would my ping be higher for Brisbane than Sydney? I live roughly 3 hours from Brisbane and 9 hours from Sydney..

My upload also seems to be a fair bit slower than most others.
  5. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    My speeds on Bigpond cable:

[​IMG]

:)

Didn't help me in Stu's room the other night though :(
  6. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    It's a worry isn't it, when in theory it should be flying along we still get the lag and drop outs. Very frustrating some times.
  7. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    That's awesome Gary.

Tried mine last night and again tonight. Ping same but slightly better data rate tonight.

Perth server:
    [​IMG]

Sydney server:
    [​IMG]

Typically I get about 99ms ping when playing iRacing... so that's in the ball park to Sydney, and probably has something to do with which/how many ports the software is limited to.

Our ISP retailer is Westnet.
  8. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    My new results

internode Adelaide
    [​IMG]

Telstra Adelaide
    [​IMG]
  9. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

My speeds are chit but ive hosted for like 4 seasons...hehe. So I guess that means the numbers mean nothing, well in the context of GT5 and the PSN servers.

[​IMG]

EDEIT oWTF!!! they give me grade D+...get farked!!!! what they think this primary school?
  10. M1K1_D

M1K1_D Miki D

Can those speed tests be done from the PS3 explorers? That way we might get the true speeds available so we might know who could be a viable future host. :)
    (My laptop had 25 ping but my Mac had 11).
  11. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27

:lol:
    thats funny Tek.
    if you look at your Speed Test, it says (SLOWER THEN 62% OF AU)
    Everyone's says (FASTER THAN **% OF AU)

Whats that all about? you got a negative thinking computer :p
  12. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    @MiKI: I don't know about using that website, but there is an internet connection wizardy doodad in the XMB that gives you upload and download speeds...
    Would be interesting to see if it gives the same results actually.

EDIT - It's under SETTINGS > NETWORK SETTINGS > Internet Connnection Test.
    It's got a disclaimer that speeds are estimates for reference only. They came up close, just a little bit less: @ 9.5Mbps UP, 781.5Mbps DOWN.

@tek: You've got pretty good ping though, and I think that's got as much to do with a good connection for hosting as your bandwidth, if not more... especially then when you go looking more at the 'quality' of that fast ping, I bet you'd get a good result on the packet loss test.
  13. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    [img=speedtest enforcer]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2064599158.png[/img]

probably shouldnt do it while hosting a room but anyway i seem to get better result connecting to optus server d'oh
  14. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Jeezus mate, wtf sort of connection is that? 781.5 Down, is that even possible? That's a download speed of like 70mb/sec!!

I recently recontracted with Telstra as at the price point I was at I'm now eligible for 200gig as opposed to 100, since then my connection has been a temperamental, unstable, laggy POS, thing is I never requested a speed change as I was already on ADSL2 which is the best available to the general public out here, the ONLY thing that needed changing was my quota, but nooooooo, Telstra tech's went and completely cancelled my old service and reconnected me somewhere else at the exchange, in short, I want my old port back!!! I've gone from being completely stable while running the standard line configuration, to having to run a stability profile, and I STILL get multiple dropouts each day! and I'm only 1km from the exchange! avg downstream bandwidth has gone from 16.5Mbps to 13-14 and upstream has gone from .9Mbps to as low as .6 at times, obviously ping has suffered also, used to get around 40 to Adelaide, now around 65-70, really been pissing me off actually, Telstra are :):):):)ing useless, I've called them multiple times asking wtf they've done, "oh nothing sir!" my arse! Seriously, Black Ops 2 is near unplayable on my connection now, I have to go around a mates place if I want to get into it, what a joke! /rant
  15. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Koastr...Lactating nipple beast????
  16. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    SNAKEiSM get your self a ower line adaptor that may fix the problem
  17. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    i ment POWER LINE ADAPTOR my finger slipped
  18. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Speakin of shiet service & Tel$tra (need I say more) if ya wanna get away from them but still have to use their equipment/exchange I found these guys a few months back, small family business based in (Maroubra NSW) with all support outa that office (altho a couple of their employee's sound like their from India but that's the multi culturism of the east coast), awsome service, great prices, they are now my middle man for dealing with Tel$tra and shiet gets sorted quick

I don't even call veetel anymore, much easier to deal with this guy Karln via whirlpool forums, his realy on the ball

Also for those that don't know or understand the differences between modem brands, SNR values etc or pretty much anything else that confusses the shiet ota us at times this forum is very helpfull

Anyway trust that may help some of you fellow rooz, have a great chrissy

Col

P.S. Why dosn't spell check work on this site?
  19. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Firstly, you need to get the Australia dictionary add on for your firefox browser ( I presume that is what you use) then it will spell check everthing you type in windows on forums etc...

And Veetel is who I am with (been with them for 12 months) you can read my experience with them here on whirlpool, I have had nothing but great service, and they use Telstra gear like Col said.

Karl is great and who spent a lot of time with me when setting up, calling them isn't bad either as the phone will ring once or twice and straight away you are talking to an Australian person and not a machine or an overseas call centre.

Very happy all round with the small Aussie company, support Aussie jobs I say ;)
  20. Aussie-Col

Aussie-Col New Recruit

Doh! Clevo ur onto it mate, blonde moment, been testin browsers for iracin, uninstalled waterfox 64bit yesterday & installed firefox 32bit and forgot about my add-ons :)

Cheers Bugga