GT-Sport Supercars Next Generation Series

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by THE_UNDER_STUDY, Feb 12, 2020.

1. JJ_Penguin

JJ_Penguin Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

I had a tough night as well. Qualified 3rd but I think I blocked Luurix with a dodgy re-entry. felt relatively confident before race start but my lack of race practice in GTS was evident half through the first lap. I spent the first handful of laps being boxed round the ears and couldn't find a rhythm. spent half my time looking at the radar and map. Hit the grass at turn 1 and my first stint went to :):):):). Serves me right for not practicing. Hit the grass again then had a couple of incidents taking damage. frustrating night but lucky to finish 10th.
    incey likes this.
  2. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    Having the heaviest car on the grid last night hurt. I was getting gapped by around 3 tenths down the main straigjt even with tow.
  3. razor4797

razor4797 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    razor4797
    Feels.
    The heaviness made fuel consumption higher and made the tyres eat 5hit too
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    glad I wasn't the only one
  5. gtkingx

gtkingx Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    gtkingx
    I am finding it impossible to compete with the lighter cars, if I'm behind one of them on the straights in their slipstream I barely make any time on them and some of them are even able to pull away from me, if they're behind me then they just sail past with no effort required.

Two races in a row now I've been hit from behind taking damage. I can mess up my own race well enough, when it's messed up by someone else, well it really takes the fun out of it. Does the series really gain anything by having heavy damage?
  6. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Have a look at my performance last night and you may want to reassess my talent.
  7. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    Before last night I hadn't done a lot of laps on the track and was lucky to get a low 32. Did some laps with the fast guys before racing and found some good gains. Surprised myslef with a PB (by miles) in qually to get Q1. Had an ordinary start but soon got into some good lap times. Was going great til the brake started sticking on lap 25 adding heaps to each lap, really took the wind out of the sails. Was good to get home for a third. Congrats to @LUUROX_22 for the win, wouldn't have caught you even without my brake issues and @Max Gassit for the 2nd. Would have loved to have held you out but it wasn't to be
  8. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Pretty happy with 6th given the 1326kg I was carrying. I quite like the weight penalty concept, the lighters guys should get heavier as the season progresses, but of course nothing will be perfect and will differ depending upon the car/track combo etc. Heavy damage is an acquired taste though, especially given the higher chance of incidents with the varying closing speeds. I only received rear wing damage from a light tap from behind, but luckily this was on my planned in lap so didn't hurt too much. I also touched a pixel of grass on T1 during the race, but thankfully didn't spin it around , but did lose a few seconds. Still thoroughly enjoying the series, great work @THE_UNDER_STUDY :thumbsup:
  9. gtkingx

PSN ID
    gtkingx
    (iv) Collisions are to be avoided at all costs

(vi) Drivers must avoid running into the cars in front of them, if a driver brakes too late and will run into the car behind them the options of bailing out into the grass, gravel or wall must be taken if available to them

Drivers need to follow these Rooz rules if we persist with heavy damage. Bumping the person in front is enough to ruin their race. Both times I have been bumped the drivers had these options available, in race 2 I had to bail onto the grass and into a wall myself to avoid hitting the back of someone else
    Xtr3meNZer likes this.
  10. gtkingx

PSN ID
    gtkingx
    You might think differently if you were the one driving laps by yourself at the back of the field every week. I do agree that the system is a great idea, I just think it needs some adjusting to make it more fair on the div 1 and 2 drivers. I am not surprised that I can't compete with the current weight settings but when you have even the best drivers unable to I think that says it's not quite right
  11. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Agreed. If anything it makes the div 1 guys try more aggressive moves in the corners because we have to to make up any ground. The divisional ballasts themselves, if reworked a little bit, would probably work better imo
    gtkingx likes this.
  12. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    The heavy damage cost me even though I was being very careful. I was in a close pack and someone spun in front of the pack, that caused confusion as everyone took avoiding action and I ended up in a sandwich damaging both front and rear. It was only five laps into a 10 lap run on RS so I had to pit and readjust my strategy, I stayed on RM for 11 laps rather than the planned 5. I may have been better to pit an extra time but those decisions are hard to make on the fly. I will have to make a plan B and C and maybe a D for future events.
    Xtr3meNZer likes this.
  13. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    I enjoy the strategy on the fly aspect. I didn't even have a strategy going into Sunday night. I never expected to start on the front row for one. During the first stint I realised I wasn't going to be able to make softs last for a tank so I split the first tank with rs and rm giving me low fuel for the rm. The first stint showed me how loose the car is after 7 laps so it was a matter of equally dividing the rest of the race into sections as close to 7 laps as possible
  14. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    So with the feedback after 3 rounds the question becomes whether to tweak the settings now or let the championship ride out as it stands and see if the field does become more even as intended, take the learnings and adjust for the next season. Your call @THE_UNDER_STUDY
    Xtr3meNZer, incey and gtkingx like this.
  15. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    i reckon ride it out but I've benefitted from low weight this round. might be at the back again next round. there is the BOP aspect as well but i like seeing the different models on the grid
  16. THE_UNDER_STUDY

THE_UNDER_STUDY Team Driver

As their has been a bit of chat on here and messages PM'd to me, I would like to make a few points. Hopefully this will answer your questions.

1: First off, I am a little disappointed to hear that some drivers last round were close to quitting mid race (rage quitting) as the race wasn't going the way they hoped. I personnally have raced in series (on GTS and others) where things have not gone my way or am in an underpowered car and sometimes coming dead last, I still will finish the race. I know (now first hand) how much time and effort goes in to organising these types of things so I want to support the person doing it, even if it means I have to just fill the places sometimes. I would hope that you guys would forward me the same decency.

2: As stated in the OP when starting this series, it is a team/car based championship, not and individual championship. The success ballast will be placed on the car, NOT the individual. Whilst for single car teams this can become a disadvantage sometimes, team owners that run multiple cars can use this to their advantange. You can swap drivers around to get the best weights for each car.

3: Following on, since the beginning, the ballast set up has been changed 3 times before the beginning of the series, and again during the season. The latest change (at the request of some drivers) is only one round old. Please give it time to actually work first before asking for more changes. If you actually look at the results, barring accidents that throw a spanner in the works, it is starting to even out. We had a couple of teams finish in the top 5 last round, who this round due to success ballast, fell back into the field a bit. This is a strategic championship, not a win at all costs one. The points are set up to favour consistency. I know of a couple of teams that went into the last round knowing that they were not in a position to win due to weight (and ability), so the strategy was to aim for as clean a race as possible and try to finish mid pack (worked for one, not the other). So again I ask, please let the latest lot of chages take effect first as they are only one round old.

4: "Does the series really gain anything by having heavy damage?" It is a fair question, but one I have answered already. I personally believe it does as it gives you a bit more of a real world feel to it and it makes you (hopefully) drive with a bit more care and not so much of a gung ho dive bomb attitude. To be honest, the quality of the racing has been impecible, minus the odd incident here and there, which again is common in the real world also. Some have been on the recieving end of some unfortunate incidents, (myself included) but if you feel any contact is unwarranted, put a protest in and the stewards will look at it.

The above should hopefully clear up the questions raised and should give you an idea of where I am intending of placing the series within the ROOZ group of races.

Below I will put up the points after round 3 and the Round 4 Team weights for the Redbull Ring.

Regards, Under.
    Max Gassit, incey, Kieran_B33 and 5 others like this.
  17. THE_UNDER_STUDY

18. THE_UNDER_STUDY

19. Xtr3meNZer

Xtr3meNZer Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    xtr3menzer
    Well put sir :thumbsup:
    Max Gassit likes this.
  20. UrsineSaturn9

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Let me summarise: let's leave things as they are and give the settings time to work as intended.
    Max Gassit and incey like this.